Jay's Journey

Guess it’s time to start my own little journal thingy, thank you to the person who suggested this.

Hi, I’m Jay, I’m 29 and an alcoholic. To be completely honest I didn’t know what to expect from this whole thing, I expected to be laying in bed trembling with the urge for a drink and fighting it only to leap out of bed rushing to the nearest liquor store frantically grabbing every bottle of giggle water I could get my hands on.

I’m pleasantly surprised and happily celebrating 5 days now, Gatorade and green tea is my drink of choice at the moment. The doc was interesting in her approach to treatment, whereas I’ve been to doctors in the past that would only stop the cravings, rather than the withdrawals, those were what I was most scared of, hallucinations, hearing things, disorientation and whatnot. This time, the doctor prescribed me medication to first and foremost pull through the withdrawals, mostly through grogginess and sleep haha.

Tomorrow is my third visit to the doctor, I’m currently down 6 pounds from where I started and my blood pressure has decreased from 200/120 to 130/100 and I could not be happier with my progress thus far. I start Naltrexone for relapse management tomorrow.

Here’s to five days and a new life, one day at a time.

25 Likes

Congrats on 5 days. Glad you’re not feeling too bad.:+1:

1 Like

Welcome, Jay! Keep up the good work and glad you are working with your doctor!

3 Likes

Well done Jay :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats on 5 days sober. I look forward to your updates!

2 Likes

Congratulations on 5 days! I see you’re already seeing big health benifits in sobriety! If you would like I can move your other posts into this thread for you so they can all be together. Best wishes

1 Like

Yes please!

1 Like

Today is day 1.

I went my first appointment with the doc today for medical detox, I was a nervous wreck walking in there today for the first time since I wasn’t entirely sure what would happen. Things went pretty smooth really. Prescribed a small list of meds to help withdrawal symptoms which will last a week, tapering down.

Right now laying in bed, happy to get one day past me, on to the next.

16 Likes

Congrats on your day 1. Hopefully the detox isn’t too bad. Keep checking in here, let us know how you’re doing. :v:

4 Likes

Congrats on your start on the journey one day at a time.

3 Likes

Well done reaching out for help that’s the hardest part, first few days I just slept the majority away but each hour you stay sober is a massive step towards a better life keep it up :muscle:

3 Likes

Good luck Jay. I’ll be thinking of you today, hope your detox goes well, it might be tough at first but you’ve made an important first step and it will be so worth it.

3 Likes

Congrats on crossing the rubicon Jay, it’s brave to get help. Remember that when the withdrawals start to bite.

3 Likes

Congratulations! Its the first step to a better life

3 Likes

Congratulations and good on you for taking this step forward :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As long as YOU want to stay sober you will,it’s not as hard as everyone makes it out to be,as long as you are ready to get clean for YOURSELF and NoONE else.everyone on this forum has a little knowledge,read comments take from those what works for you and good luck buddy
Smiley

2 Likes

Day two done.

The meds the doc has me on make me quite sleepy, like in a persistent daze or fog. I’ll take it over alcohol though for sure, plus having control over my body and my actions is nice. Wish I had done this sooner.

On to the next

15 Likes

Congratulations on your 2 days. Every day sober is a win. I hope you feel better soon. The withdrawal from alcohol might take a while and probably only then you can get some information about the meds you are on now.

It’s good to come here, read around. There is so much to discover and learn from this community. :sunflower:

5 Likes

So day 3 pretty much behind me, cravings hitting me a bit now that I’ve tapered off my medication. It’s a sign of healing I guess, perhaps it’s boredom? Not entirely sure

10 Likes

Hang in there Jay - you are doing great with day 3 sober! The cravings wont last. Get some ways to keep your mind occupied so that you don’t focus on your cravings. Browse this site - it’s been super helpful for me.
Many threads to read through here and get loads of great advise and support.
check out this thread in particular: Cravings & how to beat them, Isolation vs. Connection, H.A.L.T

Wishing you the best of luck - hope to see you around.

2 Likes