Jay's Journey

Celebrating the end of day 6 :tada:

Today was a bit of a rough one, bloods were scheduled for today which didn’t quite go as planned… at the treatment clinic, I’m not sure if it was my anxiety that got the better of me or what but they couldn’t get any blood from me. Three pricks there and they decided to refer me to another place that specializes in phlebotomy. 8 hours and 5 pokes later we finally got the serum! If anything will get rid of my fear of needles, it’s today hah.

Tomorrow is my first full week of sobriety, 7 days, it’s been a long time since I’ve been sober this long and with a few tools at my disposal, I’m confident I can continue to stay the course. I start my new medication in the morning, no more benzos. Steady as she goes.

On a side note: my ma told me that this is the best mother’s day gift she could get, and for that it’s worth every penny and every moment spent without a glass in my hand.

10 Likes

Thats worth hearing for sure. Im sorry for all the pricks and pokes today.
So happy to see you hanging on to your sobriety.
youre-strong-and-youre-gonna-get-through-this-youll-get-by

2 Likes

Hey Jazzy,

Sorry I don’t reply often. It’s ok, little bruising is all ha. I watched my uncle pass from his alcoholism and only saw myself drifting slowly down that same path, my mom was absolutely heartbroken when he went to see god and I didn’t want to give her the same heartache that she experienced when he was put to rest. Her entire demeanor seems to have changed as well.

I’m doing this for myself though, one day at work I sat in my car staring myself in the eyes like this isn’t me, this isn’t who I’m meant to be. That’s why I’m here and I’m so grateful to have you and everyone else here for all of the support.

Part of me feels as if it’s god nudging me this way, I used to think of myself as a non-believer but now I’m not sure, he is showing up everywhere I go and I’m not sure what to think about it to be frank.

Anyway, I’m rambling and it’s almost midnight. Have a great evening.

3 Likes

Dont need to apologize for not replying- just happy you are here.
I do believe that god (i believe is an energy) is always with us and shows up everywhere- it when we are ready do we start seeing “him” around. I am so glad that you are doing this for yourself and obviously this will please those who care for you.
Glad to have you here on this journey with us. We are all in this together. This community has literally saved me. The many threads to read and gain wisdom /perspective from.
It is getting late so well chat more later — you have a sober slumber and look forward to day 7!

2 Likes

Celebrating a week of sobriety with some good food

8 Likes

Congrats on your 1 week milestone :raised_hands: :clap:
That looks delicious :yum:…enjoy!

1 Like

Congratulations to your 1 full week. That’s fantastic :partying_face::four_leaf_clover::sunflower::tada:

2 Likes

Thank you! Looking forward to many more!

Only downside is this bloody insomnia, better than drunken knockout tho!

4 Likes

Oh, yes. I stick to being mindful and being grateful that I am only tired and not tired and hungover.

But I know that sleeping poorly can suck energy out.

2 Likes

It does pass mate

2 Likes

God you’re right about that, getting up in the mornings is so much easier without the head fog. I thought it was normal. Everyday sober is cause for celebration :tada:

Hell even had the time to make a breakfast burrito before work this morning haaa

2 Likes

Sure hope so, these midnight bedrollings got me in a tangle lol

8 and a half days, I am bored out of my goddamn mind, I haven’t been out of this house to do much of anything in the past few years due to alcohol and the initial “yay I’m sober” is starting to wear off. I have no desire to drink at all but I am just flat out b o r e d

Any suggestions aside from sleeping to keep me occupied?

4 Likes

Join an aa meeting online or in person! The everything aa app or intherooms app are good. Speaker meetings are good you can just sit back and listen

4 Likes

I use to walk miles and miles… enjoyed the breeze, the sound of birds… things i hadn’t noticed in years. Weight training has been a major part of life for me also

4 Likes

Hey Jay - great job on 81/2 days of sobriety.
I do know that we need to fill our times with other activities that keep us occupied and focused on other things other than our DOC.

some ideas to help with the boredom…I was just reviewing this list for myself today :slight_smile:

1. Ride a bicycle.
  2. Go for a walk.
  3. Meet a friend for lunch.
  4. Read a book.
  5. Play a board game.
  6. Try a new nonalcoholic drink.
  7. Attend an exercise class.
  8. Organize old photos, albums or books.
  9. Cook dinner.
  10. Bake cookies.
  11. Volunteer in your community.
  12. Write a kind thank-you note.
  13. Play with your pet.
  14. Binge a few episodes of a favorite TV show.
  15. Call a friend you haven’t spoken to in awhile.
  16. Pick up a new hobby through classes or online tutorials.
  17. Collect items from around your home for donation.
  18. Go for a run.
  19. Play a game with your child.
  20. Clean your home.
  21. Meditate or pray.
  22. Learn a new language with books or an app.
  23. Try at-home exercises like crunches or planks.
  24. Help your child with their homework.
  25. Clean out your car.
  26. Print and frame digital photos from your phone.
  27. Take a nap.
  28. Go to the movies.
  29. Meal-prep lunches for the workweek.
  30. Catch up on errands like laundry.
  31. Walk your dog.
  32. Finish a home-improvement project.
  33. Call an elderly relative.
  34. Plant a garden in your yard (or join a community garden).
  35. Write in a journal.
  36. Do a crossword puzzle.
  37. Plan a vacation (or staycation).
  38. Make it an early night and head to bed.
  39. Stream a movie online.
  40. Run yourself a hot bath.
  41. Catch up on your favorite podcast.
  42. Take yourself out for ice cream.
  43. Brew a pot of tea.
  44. Put together a jigsaw puzzle.
  45. Write a poem.
  46. Try mindfulness techniques.
  47. Catch up on budgeting for the month.
  48. Visit a local museum.
  49. Update or polish your resume.
  50. Practice yoga.
11 Likes

Hahaha take a nap resonated with me as I did just that! Been doing various things to keep me occupied

2 Likes

You know…we gotta do whatever works …its enough of an accomplishment each day to be sober. I did take a few naps today myself :wink:

1 Like

Think about all the things and big dreams you had while before my drunk and maybe start working on those. You may actually have a shot at those dreams and bucket list items no that you are free from the chains of alcohol for today. And hopefully for tomorrow.

4 Likes

Love this list! Can I save it?