Just one drink? (Having challenging thoughts)

As im continously arguing with myself on not taking a drink. I find my self thinking that I have the capability of enjoying a day of drinking even though I know for a fact it is not possible without going through the cycle agian. What happiness will i gain if im able to drink and be sober?.. and while im sober im only gonna be thinking about drinking anyway right? What interesting is that if I find a good enough reason, i will take a drink… and that might be the sign that I am truly addicted.

6 Likes

this whole argueing with yourself is already a sign you’re addicted.

what are you planning to do to end it?
you’ve already played the tape forward. you know what will happen. you will continue to drink, this spiral will never end.

can you do sth to take your mind off the obsession? anything engaging, preferably with other ppl. a meeting would be best.

11 Likes

Whenever I think of just one, I try to remember all the times I’ve said “Just one” and actually had just one. It never happened at all, never.

There is no just one. Its a fantasy, a myth.

I’ve come to terms that, I want to moderate, because that gives me permission to get drunk, and thats what I want, because i am an alcoholic that’s what alcoholics do.

Choose sober and take that one out of the equation.

21 Likes

Intellectually, you know the answers. You gave some good advice recently:

14 Likes

I had a similar thought today. Just started a new job and worked a long week. Tomorrow is my first day off. The thought crossed my mind that a single beer would be nice, but I checked that thought… For me, there isnt a such thing as a “single beer”, and I’d be disappointed in myself to restart my sober time.

11 Likes

Most of us on this forum are very familiar w the feeling of giving in to a thought to pick up. But it’s a far better experience moving past those thoughts, and staying sober. It’s difficult and uncomfortable early on, but we learn and we grow in recovery. Glad you came here to reach out about it, tons of good suggestions from people on here about how they managed to put the work in to stay sober, hope you beat this one and add your sober experience :metal:

5 Likes

There are only excuses to drink but many reasons to stay sober. Best wishes to you.

8 Likes

Thanks for the reminder!!!

3 Likes

One drink :scream:
Never happen!!
Listen to this first.

:pray::heart:

4 Likes

Breath. One foot before the other. Don’t look back. Focus on what lies before you.

4 Likes

Excuses are like assholes: everyone has one, and they all stink.

7 Likes

Ya huh. One drink will lead to you despising yourself all over again. Don’t be the A-Hole you despise the most.

3 Likes

Thank you for your inspiring words… i am passed those feelings now… feeling more tranquil

3 Likes

Thank you! Point taken.

1 Like

I beat the moment… thank you!

5 Likes

See i just recieved some good news as well when those thoughts came in… correlated experiences with the same thoughts right after. Very interesting.

1 Like

Thanks for the break down, makes total sense!

2 Likes

Your doing great :hugs: glad your feeling more relaxed now

1 Like

Did my daily exersice and felt better… the arguing is at a slower tempo and the voice of alchohol has been overpowered by my voice once again. Thank you for your support!!!

3 Likes

Listening now… never was ready to dive into the book seriously. Giving it a chance today!

5 Likes