Legal Issue Cont

A while back I wrote about having to deal with a legal issue that was weighing on me heavy. I contacted a lawyer and moved forward as I mentioned. So tomorrow is the court hearing and I’m ridden with anxiety at the moment and worried about the outcome. My anxiety is at the level that I want to just have a drink to calm down, knowing that it’s a bad idea. I’m keeping busy now at work but worried about when I go home. I’m super nervous because of the fact that I just got a job offer and it will require a background check and I’m worried about the outcome of the hearing. I have 7 months and days under my belt and can’t go throwing that out the window. Any suggestions/advice on how to deal with my demons? Your prayers would also be appreciated. Love and Hugs!!!

8 Likes

Good for you for reaching out!

For me the thing that has made the biggest difference in moments where I’m tense is to reach out to share and for support. I usually come here and share on the checkin thread (Checking in daily to maintain focus #42) or you can make your own thread like you did here.

For me, getting it out in writing is a way to see the idea, see the thought, outside of myself. I get it out - and by doing that I can see it is not me, it is not something that controls me. I still see it, I know it’s there, but for me anyway giving it words helps me see that I control it, and not the other way around.

Another way to get help is to share in a recovery group, like Online meeting resources or Resources for our recovery. There’s a good list of them there.

The important thing is keep reaching out and keep searching for a space to share and get support. You are not alone.

2 Likes

Hi, I hope that things go well for you tomorrow.
Try reminding yourself that alcohol really doesn’t bring anything good into our lives.
Look at it this way… if you chugged 500 ml of water, milk, juice… probably even Coca Cola, what would happen (other than feeling somewhat bloated, I imagine).
Answer… nothing much.
What would happen if you tried to do the same with STRAIGHT alcohol ? Well, in that case, you would probably be dead before you got to the bottom of the glass… or not long thereafter.
So is it really so great ?

1 Like

I hope you don’t; it’s not an option for you anymore. You’re getting your life together. Don’t worry about the outcome of court, it will happen whether you worry or not.

3 Likes

Hang around here and read what ever you can to keep your mind off what will happen tomorrow. when you get off work try some meditations or anything that will keep you distracted reach out and ask for help, its great to see you here posting, legal proceedings always can be nerve wracking. Try to keep your cool focus on your breathing and just do your best to relax. Best wishes

1 Like

When you want to not drink, an AA meeting in person or online is a good safe place to go.

2 Likes

I most definitely will be praying for your H.P. to be in control of your soberiety bc w/o been sober we are no good to anyone but I would suggest saying the serenity prayer bc it’s all out of your control. For me it calms me down when I try or think I control situation ppl,places,or things. You will get through this no matter what as long as you turn it over to your H.P.