Lost my job... again

@Andy_Charlie thank you so much my dear!!

Yes. I will. Thank you @Lisa07

1 Like

Thank you @Kareness =)!!

Sorry you lost your job that’s always difficult to deal with but it sounds to me like you like you have the right mind set knowing that drinking will only make things worse I love the list you made keep on fighting the good fight and positive things will happen for you

1 Like

Yes I recently ….6 days ago…… got in to trouble w law once again…… drinking and I was more so “forced” to drop a retirement packet earlier than planned and I too am in that boat at same time soon facing all sorts of legal issues etc and trying to provide for family etc…… I’m taking a second or few seconds at a time at this moment

2 Likes

This is basically the difference between feeling good about your life and feeling regret.

We all have this kind of tempting trap that we live in, where we have to decide: do I stick with my habit - which is familiar and seems comfortable - or do I make a new habit - which is unfamiliar and at first it feels weird.

It’s not just in recovery that this is true. It’s in everything. Exercise / health / diet / etc. Meditation / self-awareness / mindfulness. All the parts of life :innocent:

But really it’s just one thing at a time. And you gotta see what’s most important. Every other thing - every thing that matters to you - walks in the park with your kids, having a job, feeling generally good about yourself, having chances to do things you want to do - literally every other thing, depends on being sober.

It’s like someone looking for water in the desert. You die if you don’t have it. It’s that simple. You think someone like that has trouble staying focused on finding water?

You gotta stay focused on staying grounded (sober) the exact same way. There’s only one thing that matters (every other thing comes from that: for example, getting time to cook, if you like that, comes from being sober).

Come here every day and check in. There’s a great thread for that here!

Checking in daily to maintain focus #42

Share photos of your walks on the nature thread - I know you love the outdoors; share it here!

Post your most inspiring photos of nature #3

Etc etc. Fill the time you used to get drunk, with stuff that you remember :innocent:

You lost your job. That happened. You stand up, and now you have time to go to some meetings between job interviews. There’s a few different programs; and each one has different meetings in your area. Check them out!

Resources for our recovery

Online works too:

Online meeting resources

Stay humble and open minded. Things will be new and you will find yourself sometimes thinking “I wish I were ____” Thats normal. Keep an open mind and as long as you are safe, then press on and see what comes when you stick with it. I promise you won’t be disappointed :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Another thing - to add to my post above - a simple rule that helps me:

You’re allowed to do anything that is safe and legal, to stay sober.

• Pizza for dinner? Yep. (Cake for dinner too.)
  • Kids don’t do their homework? That’s fine. (I know that seems crazy, but keep it in perspective: if wrangling things for homework is putting you at risk, the answer is simple. Just don’t bother with the homework. They need a parent who’s there for them, that’s all that really matters. The rest will come out in the wash; it can wait until tomorrow - when you’ll wake up sober.)
  • Go to an amusement park and ride roller coasters all day? Absolutely.

You get the idea. Literally anything - anything that is safe and legal - you are allowed to do, to stay sober.

One day at a time sister :muscle:

4 Likes

Booze and Performance are things you can control. Lockdowns, recessions, mergers and acquisitions and other business downturns are things that you cannot control.

Take action on those things you can control. Get sober, and figure out what professional development you can pursue in your chosen profession to make yourself a more attractive candidate and more valuable as an employee.

4 Likes

Kinda echoing what Yoda Stevie said, the things in your control take ahold of, those of which you can’t you just have to accept as reality

I have lost a few jobs due to performance mainly cause I was hungover or speeding my balls off and forgetting the details. It’s deflating I get it, but it’s a learning lesson. What can we take from this failed venture as tools to prevent the same results? That’s what’s important, always use unexpected results as a learning curve for future ventures

Your job, your socioeconomic status, your mental health, your addiction, none of them define you. You define you, now you just need to polish the fine details

3 Likes

I will look into all of that. And you will see me on there!! Thanks @Matt

1 Like

Thank you for your words and advice @Fury

1 Like

You have made great points!! Thank you for that perspective I love it!! Your right.

2 Likes

Not only can you control them…they might just go hand in hand. I never lost a job to booze. Did I have to overcompensate for being a drunk…you bet I did. Once I quit drinking, my performance changed…

2 Likes

I got fired from my job aswel. I cared much about being a good worker, as I’ve felt like a failure for a long time, for example dropping out of school and already having a low self worth. I needed validation from my job to proof myself and others I was worth something after all.

Although I worked hard I got fired because I kept coming in late or not showing up because of my alcoholism. I reached my rock bottom less than 2 months later.

Keeping sober is the number 1 priority, you made 6 valid points. You can and WILL come stronger out of this. Much power to you!

2 Likes

Hey thank you for sharing that.
Yeah u know what you mean.
Honestly getting fired was so embarrassing and right away my mind went back to all of those really bad thoughts about myself =/. It’s hard but I’m trying to be consistent each and every day.

Late to the party–It’s been three day since, how ya holding up? I quit my job last Friday after videoing the principal at my school verbally abusing a student, which set her off right quick! It sucked real bad, and I cried like a baby on the floor fully knowledgable that I couldn’t wash all my emotional pain down with a bottle of brown; Instead I dealt with the hurt head on, pretty amazing feeling of freedom.

Stay strong Gonzolady!!

3 Likes

You also stay strong and welcome to TS!

1 Like

Hi there!! Thank you for replying to my post!! I’m doing alot better I found myself not only 1 job but 2!!! But my main focus right now is sobriety. Because I love love love this version of me.

Also good for you!! To stand up for that kid that way is pretty freakn awesome. And it says alot about your character and values. I’m sure alot of parents or people that found out about the situation are saying alot of good things about you. Kiddos to not picking up that bottle!!

Today just for today I am sober and really happy.

3 Likes

I think your attitude is brilliant. The same thing happened to me in the early 1990’s. Then I did not respond with your insight. Keep on with the good work. I know how hard it is.

2 Likes

Thank you for that. I needed to hear something right now. Feeling very unmotivated but still choosing to stay sober. But damn, yeah this is hard.

2 Likes