Martial Artists Past & Present and MMA Fans UNITE!

Just started working some No gi BJJ myself, to round out my skills. Krav is a great mix. Western kick-boxing versatile striking discipline. What appeals to me about BJJ is defense against a takedown.

Binge-watched this last weekend on Netflix, and then spot-watched the Lethwei and Krav episodes again. Examines how the local culture inspired and shaped the countryā€™s martial art, and how the martial art influences the culture. Really deep stuff.

Freaking awesome fight.

One of the many things I love about my Martial Arts school, is that once a month, we do a deep dive 3-hour seminar on one particular aspect of self-defense. Past seminars covered ground-fighting, defense against sticks and bats. Knives, firearms.

Todayā€™s was awesome. It covered multiple attackers, brawls, riots, or panicking crowds. I am beat, bruised, and happy.

Belt tests tonight. Krav and Kickboxing. Whoā€™s watching the last UFC On Fox tomorrow night, before everything moves to pay/subscription stations?

Iā€™m watching in the morning as the main card is 3am here

UFC is staying on BT sport in the U.K. Thankgod. Was meant to be moving the 11 sports but BT have kept the rights

1 Like

Iā€™m really only stoked for one fight: Andrea ā€œKGBā€ Lee vs. Jessica Rose Clark. Been a fan of both since their Invicta days. Iā€™m giving the edge to Lee, but not by much.

Iā€™m looking forward to Hooker and Barboza- hoping Hooker will be able to prove himself against one of the top 5

1 Like

Super bummed. Clarke found unfit after weight-cut. Fight against Andrea Lee canceled.

I saw that- Iā€™m glad Kevin Lee got humbled again

1 Like

Yep Katie Taylor is good, didnā€™t realise you were on about her

My boys sparring, love watching them training

2 Likes

Ok. Holidays are over. Time to get back on the mats, and get back after it.

So thoughts on Cyborg being dethroned by Nunes? I thought that there was one active UFC Womenā€™s fighter who could do it, and that was Nunes, but I didnā€™t think she would do it, and certainly not in such a decisively devastating fashion.

I think Nunes will hold both belts as long as she wants to. I donā€™t see any past champs or rising contenders who can beat her, except perhaps a rededicated, more poised, more disciplined Cris Cyborg. I also think Cyborg will leave UFC and go to ONE, if the final fight on her contract isnā€™t a rematch.

Doubtful. No MMA experience in a top tier promotion. There was a time when Iā€™d have given the edge to the pure judoka over pure striker, back when Rousey was smashing opponents. But strikers evolved faster than grapplers the last few years. Plus, Nunes is a black belt in bjj and brown in Judoā€¦as well as being a top-level striker. Sheā€™s crushed some of my favorite fighters. Premier strikers like Holm and Cyborg. Sheā€™s defeated top grapplers like Rousey and Tate. Her last loss was to another one of my favs, Zingano, and Zingano has yet to get back to form from the beating she took in the first round of that fight.

Right now I donā€™t see anyone in 135 or 145 lbs that can beat Nunes, and Iā€™m not a Nunes fan.

Nunez would beat most of the women. Only person who could beat her at the moment is valentina shevchenko- I think she won that last fight. If they fought 10 times reckon Nunez would win 6/10

Nunes beat Shevchenko twice. No female fighter beats Nunes at 135. Cyborg ā€œmightā€ beat her at 145. At least in the next two years, Nunes will reign in one or both divisions.

But thatā€™s what I love about Womenā€™s MMA. Iā€™ll be watching Invicta. Thatā€™s the promotion where the next champ will come from. Whoever she is, sheā€™s not currently in UFC.

I still think she won the second fight on pointsā€¦

Yes the UFC need to start fighting more featherweights from other organisations and push more. That is what Megan Anderson was saying. Thatā€™s why Rousey had such a dominant reign as there was limited class in the womenā€™s field.

I did feel sorry for Zingano with the toe to eye poke- looked painful

Indeed. Sheā€™s never been the same since she fought Nunes.

Sheā€™s the last fighter to beat Nunes.

Nunes beat Shevchenko unanimous decision at UFC215, and she beat her before this at UFC 196. Nunes has 4 pro loses: India in 2008 Davis in 2011, Dā€™Alelio in 2013 all pre-UFC, and her last loss, Zingano in 2014 at UFC 178.

The only active UFC fighter to have beaten her just lost her 4 if her last 5 fights since they last faced each other, and her latest loss due to getting a toe in the eye.

So Iā€™ve decided to take this guy as my senseiā€¦

4 Likes

Love his vids.

1 Like