Mental health memes and discussion (Part 2)

10 Likes

There are so many lovely lessons from Winnie the Pooh. I’m so grateful to have grown up with them.

2 Likes

This hit home…

1 Like

10 Likes

That’s about the same sentiment this one gave me. Trying not to feel judged mainly. I totally believe in we’re in this together.

1 Like

7 Likes

I could highlight this whole book. Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change, by Pema Chodron

5 Likes

3 Likes

16 Likes

I found my career in my 30s so I found myself back in classrooms with lots of 18 and 20 year olds. One 18 year old told me that I was so brave to go back to school, at my age. I was 35-ish. :face_with_hand_over_mouth::joy::older_woman:t3: My only regret in this interaction is that we didn’t have a long talk about this.

Changing your life if it isn’t going your way is essential. Not brave, not cowardly just the only way that things will change. :heart::heart:

6 Likes

That is awesome @TrustyBird well done!!! :sunglasses::metal:t2:

2 Likes

“At some point in your life
You learn the difference
Between love and attachment
Promises and potential
And actions and words
And to allow a person’s behaviour over time to reveal who they truly are
Rather than their positive intentions

At some point in your life
Rather than awaiting the approval, validation and acceptance of others
You learn to water your own garden
Uplift your own spirit
Nourish your own soul
And become your own best friend
Understanding that the power to feel good about yourself
Build a better life
And rewrite your story and destiny
Has existed within you all along

Rather than remaining trapped in a perpetual state of fear, self-doubt and insecurity
You learn to face the world boldly and confidently
With your head held high

And to view yourself
As the hero of your life
Master of your destiny
And creator of your reality
And to not give anyone else the permission to shape how you view yourself and your potential
Through taking full responsibility for yourself, your life and your actions

Slowly but surely
You learn to approach life
From a perspective of love
And not allow the mistakes, fears, insecurities and limitations of others
To colour and shape your vision
Of what is possible for your own life
Or prevent you from seeing the beauty that exists in the world

And at some point in your life
You learn to recognise your worth
And say no to what doesn’t promote growth, health, happiness and healing
Or anything that holds you back and keeps you feeling down
In order to soar freely
So that you may embrace life
For the truly magical adventure it can be.

Words by Tahlia Hunter

Inspired by a poem by Jorge Luis Borges, revised by Veronica Shoffstall

Artwork, “Carried away by memories” by Catherine McMillan, Art “

11 Likes

Love this so much and truly feel that magical version unfurling. I know that NEVER would have been possible if I was still drinking or using drugs. :heart:

3 Likes

Saw this just now and it resonated deeply. I’m sure a lot of us can relate :sunglasses::metal:t2:

“Do not underestimate someone who has lost everything and is still here to tell the story. Do not underestimate someone who has fought dearly for sobriety. Peace. Forgiveness. Self-love. Freedom. Authenticity. Truth. Do not underestimate the lonely. They have braved wars that only those who understand the absence of human connection, can do. Even now. They are holding it all together while coming so wildly undone. And sometimes we may see them unravel ever so softly. Or loudly. Or however their soul unties its cage the best.

Do not underestimate the ones who have suffered the kind of grief that does not seem to end. Who have been broken in places you did not even know existed. The ones who fell into silence because their lungs had no words left to speak. We will not always be strong. No. But we are enduring.”

— Ullie Kaye

9 Likes

9 Likes

Holiday host etiquette: If you’re inviting someone to your home and they’re grieving, be sure you’re inviting their grief to attend, too. It will be there, anyway.

Don’t invite someone with the goal of cheering them up for the holidays. Don’t expect them to put on a happy face in your home. Don’t demand they fake it til they make it or do something they don’t want to do, either.

Invite them with the loving intention of offering cheer and companionship and unconditional care during the holidays. To do this, you will need to honor and be responsive to their needs and emotions.

You can do this by privately acknowledging their grief when you make the invitation:

“I know this season is extra hard and your heart is hurting. You and your grief are welcome in our home. Come as you are, we’d be honored to have you with us.”

It’s also incredibly loving to honor the reality that it’s often hard for grieving folks to know what they will want, need, be up for, or able to tolerate at the holidays.

Giving them an invite without the need for commitment and permission to change their mind is extra loving:

“You don’t have to decide right now. If it feels good to be with us, we will have plenty of food and love for you-just show up! I’ll check in again the day before to see if you’re feeling up to coming over and if there’s anything you’d like me to know about how we can support you.”

Your grieving friends and fam need attentive care and responsiveness at the holidays, not plans to keep them busy, distracted, and happy.

If they’re laughing, laugh with them.

If they’re weeping, ask if they’d like your company or your help finding a quiet place to snuggle up alone for awhile.

If they’re laughing while weeping, and this is more common than you’d think, stay with them - this is a precious moment of the human experience that is truly sacred.

We don’t need to protect ourselves or each other from grief at the holidays. In fact, the more we embrace grief as an honored holiday guest, the more healthy, happy, and whole our holidays will be. :pray:

14 Likes

This hit me deeply…

9 Likes

One of my therapist in rehab favorite and so true :pray:

3 Likes

We do a lot of laugh crying at holidays since my Dad passed. This is a beautiful reminder of how important that is. Thanks.

7 Likes

7 Likes