Motivated to Get Healthy

Wanted to start a thread that focuses on getting healthy, whatever that may look like for you! Thought it’d be nice to share goals, motivation, knowledge, etc.

What health goals do you want to achieve?
What motivates you to meet those goals?
How are you working towards them?

My personal goals are to eat better, get back into exercising, and lose 27 pounds. I want to nourish my body after years of abusing it with alcohol. I’m using cronometer to track my nutrition and working out at home to YouTube videos. Figured working towards my goals will help to keep me on track with soberity and rebuild my confidence!

8 Likes

I find I am much more successful healthwise, when I am working toward a specific objective. Previously it was "complete a 10,000 meter swim, or 100 mile bike ride. All the training, eating right, rest, were just steps to reaching my objective.

My current objective is to get my black-belt in Krav Maga. Training, nutrition, Recovery…all required components of mission-accomplishment.

5 Likes

Good thread! I am working toward losing 15-20lbs
With healthy eating by putting some of the money I spent on alcohol toward better quality food. Also, I am investing a lot into my mental health right now. It feels really good to get the core of why I try to anesthetize with drugs and alcohol.

4 Likes

Great idea!

Health goals: To become truly healthy-Mind, body and soul

Motivation: Becoming the best version of me I can possibly be to help others ultimately

How I’m achieving them:
Mind-Daily meditations, reading, see also soul work as they tie in together for me
Body: Changing my diet back to where I feel best this week, continuing work with my GI doctor for healing, walking daily again, yoga and playing in nature
Soul: Allowing myself to feel things-good and bad without stifling. Reiki work consistently. Rediscovering who I truly am without outside influences. Writing. Singing. Art. Working with all forms of healing within myself to be ok where I am and to continuing to grow to be able to help others more effectively in the end.

5 Likes

I love this topic !! Just started running again yesterday and going to the gym. Need to loose 10 pounds that I gain during the past year …
I called my old trainer and he already send me a routine and my new nutrition … need to get back in track!!
Right now I’m going for a run. And I can post pics of my meal prep. I used to work as a personal trainer and this is really my passion

6 Likes

After using cronometer for a few days now, it’s clear that while I was getting some basic nutrients, I still was lacking a lot of vital ones. Tried upping my leafy greens and it was overkill :nauseated_face:, so I tried cooking instead of eating them raw but my stomach is still having a hard time. Has anyone else struggled with their gut in recovery? I know it’ll take time to heal but… yikes!

Meal prep pics would be great!

I’ve started running with a couple of friends - had an amazing run last night, something clicked and I just “got it”! Going to eat super healthy too to nourish my body… I may allow myself a few sweet treats and cheese as well though - whatever it is, it’s better than alcohol :muscle::blush:

1 Like

Yes. Alcohol does a number on your gut flora, and the linings of your GI tract. It takes time for everything to heal and reset. Fermented veggies like sour kraut, kimchee, pickled radish and beets and yogurt with active cultures.

I love cooked greens, but you have to go easy on them. Because they cook down so much, you don’t realise just how much you are really eating. Best to stay with the raw. Put a bit of lemon or vinegar on them to aid in breaking down the plant cells, and olive oil to help with fat-soluable nutrient absorption.

2 Likes

I start my transition today, we can do it together! I only gained 3 lbs since I started eating sugar and anything I want again per my GI dr a few weeks ago. He was wrong, I feel like shit. So, right back to it I go! I have felt like shit long enough and it just simply isn’t going to be an option for me if I want to help others, time to get my life back in order! :slight_smile:

My goal is to run 6miles a day 5 days a week.

I can get the first couple miles in, but after mile 3 my pace has slowed dramatically.

1 Like

That’s a lot of running. When I was a runner (way back in “the day”), I kept it to 4 days a week, and did strength 3 days a week. Only one of my 4 days was a distance day. The others were a mid-distance and speed days. So it would look something like this:

1 mid distance 3-4 miles
2 speed work, 2 miles broken into 1mile speed runs.
3 speed work, 2 miles running fartleks
4 Long slow distance day 6-8 miles

I did this to train for OCS and TBS. Worked great. My 3 mile PFT times were sub 17:00, right where I need them to be, but I could also do well in the times endurance events, like the 10mile gear run.

1 Like

This is good info to have.
I really am doing everything possible to be physically prepared.
I want to go to the oh rah schools. I.e freefall school, trailblazer and other things like that.

Then you have to mix it up. Endurance, Strength, Agility. I knew lots of fast runners who lacked the strength to get through the O-course. I knew really strong guys who couldn’t handle humps with packs. What the Corps needs are solid all-round types. I wasn’t the fastest, but I was fast-enough. I wasn’t the strongest, but was plenty strong. Balance.

I also swam and played racquetball. Awesome for cardio and agility.

Nice.
Thank you for the reminder as well. I need to have balance in my workouts. I been doing crazy cardio the past weeks to get my lungs ready. Meth destroyed my cardio in so many ways. Along with my muscle mass and everything else. Sanity ect.
This is what my work out routine looks like
At the gym : 45 mins on a stationary bike doing the up hill courses.
45 mins on the treadmill doing an interactive run up a mountain. Incline maxed out
After that, battle rope excerises, bench, shoulders, abs, legs. Then close out my workout with a 30 min beach run on the treadmill followed by 30mins on the bike again.

Grueling as fuck but I love it

1 Like

If you are progressing towards your goal, it is a good plan. For general fitness, that’s a solid plan.

1 Like

Awesome. Always have a goal. If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

I do a Krav class 3 nights a week. I walk 45 minutes every day at a 4 mph pace, followed by 15 minutes of stretching and flexibility. On the 4 days I don’t have class, I do work on an agility ladder, striking bag, and footwork drills. So every day, I try to do a whole body workout.

2 Likes

I’m running four times a week and generally eating okay. But this white bread/flour thing…I think I need a 30 day break. Off to set a counter!

2 Likes

This year I had a three month plan, to do 10,000 steps a day which I was successful at. I dropped them down to 6,000/day. But my goal is to still be active every day

Other healthy routines:
Taking vitamins and supplements daily
wear sunscreen daily-i live in San Diego
Lift 4 days a week
HIIT 2 days a week

I would love to work towards doing an extended handstand and possibly a one arm pushup.

3 Likes

The other night I ate 4oz of sauerkraut in a sitting, lol. That’s not my usual, but it was a nice snack.

I’m purposely eating a lot of greens daily to meet nutritional requirements, and they weren’t settling well raw, so cooking them down has been giving better results. Hoping it keeps getting easier to digest over time though. Adding in coconut oil and tamari too, but olive oil would nice to switch it up!

2 Likes