My life & questioning sobriety

Thank you LeeHawk! You Too :slight_smile:

Yes SassyRocks- I’m liking the lower dinner bills! hahaha
Thank you and you too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting lyrics

3 Likes
  1. Whelp… I’m super nervous. As I’m sitting here at the airport about to fly half across the world and do a solo trip to Egypt - I’m thinking: I think being with my husband has made me a wimp!

I used to do solo stuff all the time. I was a crazy bad-ass independent person, who wasn’t scared of hardly anything (and partied a lot- maybe the booze hid my anxiety?)! I guess 13 years of having a partner in crime really makes your second guess doing things without a battle buddy.

I wanted to do this trip without the “tour” since it sounded so rushed. But I signed up for it since it was 50% off, and in my travel window. I tried to map out similar destinations but the connection details were killing me. I could have figured it out with more time and I would rather spend more days in each location and see it the way I want, but since I’ve never been here before- and I’m solo- and the booking was available- I’m trying it.

I’ve heard some horror stories about the poverty, and the incessant begging for money/tips for random crap. I guess the tour guide might buffer that? Who knows. Either way, should be interesting!

5 Likes

Have an excellent trip! So exciting. And I’m sure it does feel odd without hubby but hopefully you are with a tour group and you’ll get to make friends. Please report back!

1 Like

How is your trip going @Beachy ? 🫶🏻

1 Like

I hope you are finding your trip fulfilling and expanding!! :heart: Love how brave and strong you are and pushing through your challenges. Cannot wait to hear from you.

1. As some know, I recently stepped out of my comfort zone and did a solo trip to Egypt. I had lots of hurdles to deal with to even be able to go. It was not a relaxing trip by any means; it had lots of hustle and bustle, and lots of “out of my comfort zone” moments; which many times would lead to needing a drink to “deal”. So- how do you not drink and stay sober while traveling?

I want to see the whole world- literally. Now that I’m not tied to a job requiring getting authorization to travel (and Covid is finally falling to the wayside)- I want to step up my international trips. Although, traveling used to always be a drinking opportunity- at the airport waiting on the flight, drinks at dinner, or find a bar to meet people etc. Although going by myself I wasn’t keen on altering my state of mind, mainly so I was in complete control in case anything happened. But how would I resist those urges?

Well it was actually quite easy! Turns out- due to the heavy Muslim religious influence in Egypt, the whole restaurant complex at and around the hotel was dry. It was actually an effort for some in my group to find booze. We were moving through the locations so fast there wasn’t time and most restaurants for lunch didn’t have booze. The boat had some wine and beer that could be ordered for dinner, or at their lounge areas. Although the group of my travel companions at the meal table didn’t order booze at meals. One of the women had the same reactions to migraines and booze that I did so they hardly ever drank anymore. It seemed as though the majority of the group didn’t drink and it was actually very surprising to me! I didn’t dig into it with them, maybe it was due to the itinerary keeping people from wanting to drink, or they just didn’t drink anyway- but I found it rather interesting and refreshing.

This trip was so busy, I really didn’t every think of drinking. We had many early mornings to travel to destinations, and long days of seeing the sights. Even at the lunches, there were not boozy offerings. They had mostly teas, coffees, soda and various fruit juices and smoothie offerings. And at the hotel lounge they had NA “beers” that were delicious! Schweppes pineapple or pear fake beers. Looked just like Stella in a glass- and tasted way better.

My other trips to Costa Rica, since my sober journey started, were more relaxing and had more relaxing times that might be correlated to drinking; like sitting at the pool. Although I’ve learned that down there; the fresh fruit smoothies taste way better then the boozy cocktails. A Virgin Pina Coloda is divine, but tastes gross now when in it’s “normal” state. (My husband orders the virgin version now also after we realized the difference.)

So, if you are on the fence about tackling that journey- just do it! The experience was well worth it.

“Traveling. It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” — Ibn Battuta

6 Likes

Your “cucumber” turned into a “pickle” long ago (based on your post). You will NEVER be able to socially-drink again. You have the disease of addiction/ alcohol use disorder.

I recommend you remain abstinent forever and seek professional help (inpatient recovery center) for the trauma that leads you to “numb” through alcohol abuse.

You will not get better until you stop “trying” to stop and educate yourself on how and why to remain abstinent.

God speed!

Interesting tone

2 Likes

As I was texting you my internal daily reminder that I now live by; I didn’t begin the process of overcoming my addictions until I faced the truth of my situation.

My intent is response/confront the addictive nature within self. It took decades for me to realize I was an addict.

I didn’t respond to offend; if so, please forgive my tone as you perceived. I want you to avoid time waste; that is my BIGGEST regret concerning my illness.

That sounds like an amazing adventure @Beachy! Glad to hear you went out of your comfort zone and remained sober. Congrats on 805 days!!

1 Like

Hey gal! Do you mind if I live vicariously through you during your travels?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Thanks for taking the time to post this. I admire your adventurous spirit and your reflection on the trip. Sounds like an amazing experience for all!

1 Like

Oh wow!!! This sounds amazing and tiring!! I am so glad it wasn’t a boozy situation, that would’ve been challenging for sure.

Looking forward to hearing more of your travels!!

:heart:

1 Like

I didn’t care for the tone. I’m sure he means well, but recovery isn’t the same process for everyone. Carry on Beachy and do what works for you.

2 Likes
  1. Feels true.
6 Likes

Shit. That’s a really good one. Thanks.

1 Like

816.Came down with a bad cold yesterday morning. Worst I’ve felt in a long time. I had a minor sinus thing before i left on my trip, but it went away. Came home, and husband was sick - I think I got his crud.

My garmin body battery thing is at like 15%, haha. It registered stress all day yesterday when all I really did was nap on the couch (dont tell my new job- hard to take a sick day your first week) and watch you tube videos about my new role.
Marginally better today - no fever - but still feel like hammered ass. I hate being sick and really hate it on weekends (well, work days too), but days off are so precious. I hate being a couch bum.

Just trying to eat, not junk food, juice some veggies etc. Taking care of yourself can be hard.

3 Likes

Feel better! Lots of crap going around for sure!

1 Like

That’s the truth… i hope i’d escaped it, but nope