My new journey in Recovery Dharma

‘It seems so simple, but it was knowledge definitely out of reach for me, until it wasn’t.’ You’ve summed it up perfectly! Every step of the journey has brought me to this point, and it feels as though I’m finally connecting absolutely everything - the trauma, the healing, the reasons why, the solutions - and being grateful for it all :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Yes to this…that moment when it makes sense, the fog lifts and you can finally see the path. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So beautifully said and always good to see you. :heart:

2 Likes

@Juli1

This thread might intresr you…i havent kept up with it as I had planned too…but…here it is

2 Likes

Absolutely! Thanks a lot :cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

I’ll join you on this way, downloaded the book and I’ll start reading this evening :blush:
I’m very interested in Buddhism so this might fit :heart:

3 Likes

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

3 Likes

I am taking a few of myvAA friends to a Recovery Dharma meeting this week. I am excited to hear their thoughts.

4 Likes

40 pages flew by like nothing, I love it!
I knew that this time I have to go within to help myself with my problem, I just didn’t know how to.
This feels right :heart:

5 Likes

It does!!! Glad it is helping! Feel free to add anything here you wish.

3 Likes

We read from “Wise Action” tonight:
We need to continually reflect on and question the intentions behind our actions. We may have moments of clarity, but these can quickly pass, when old habits or thinking resurfaces.

My “old thinking” resurfaces a lot, and it seems to be the precursor to any unskilled or harmful actions. I’m just grateful I’m starting to recognize this now. Thoughts used to almost “land” in my mind as the truth, and my response to dealing with a lot of them was to head to the wine rack or liquor store. Now?
I’m also grateful it really doesn’t have to be as complicated as I make it. Let’s hear it for 3 deep breaths! Or mini-meditations on Insight Timer. Or a cup of tea or coffee. Or even a round or two of Wordle. :orange_heart:

5 Likes

Every page, a gem…

7 Likes

Hi :wave:t2: @Thirdmonkey
and all others joyning your thread!

I started my journey with the book " Buddhism & the Twelve Steps Daily Reflections: Thoughts on Dharma and Recovery" by Kevin Griffin. Also have the recovery dharma standard book as they recommend for the meetings.

I am a beginner.
I think it’s good, that it is structured for daily reflection and rituals like meditation, to stay on track.

Never understood the point of "not having control / being powerless ", but now I do…
As a perspective of much lower pressure on my journey of sobriety.

I am powerless about my addictions, but not whether I pick up a drink (or other addictive stuff) or not. One breath at a time. :woman_in_lotus_position:t2:

On Wednesday i will joyn a german online meeting in english language :woman_technologist:t2::busts_in_silhouette::busts_in_silhouette:

Thank you for the recommendation…
I will keep you updated about my journey. :hugs:

7 Likes

I think i will buy that book! Let us know how it goes

3 Likes

I was about to write something on the f*ck right off thread. Came here instead. Thanks for being here thread and folks in it. So frustrated with a person admitted to the detox I work. Not interested in being clean, costing society money, taking a place that somebody else deserves more, destroying their own lives and destroying the live of others dependent on them…
Who am I to judge though. Not my road. Why do I want to change the things I cannot. Let me work on the things I can. Been interested in Buddhism for 40+ years. Tried meditating for 35 or so. Going to have another go. There’s one RD in person meeting a week in Amsterdam on the other side of town coinciding with my weekly pick up basketball game of course. Already promised to go play ball tonight.
Anyway. Thanks for the wisdom shared here. Love.

11 Likes

Glad you came here. Keep coming back if you want.

6 Likes

I love this:
“This is the true empowerment and freedom of recovery—recognizing that happiness and suffering are entirely up to us, based on how we choose to respond to our experiences.”

And this:
“letting go” of something small. Notice that the craving doesn’t last and that there’s a little sense of relief when you let it pass. That’s a little taste of freedom." :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Just thought, well, this tells me something. Happens to be in my kindle library, read it a third. Should maybe continue :see_no_evil::grimacing:

4 Likes

That does sound frustrating and that is okay. Frustration is a normal reaction to stress.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

7 Likes

Sitting in this tonight

from “The Pocket Pema Chodron (Shambhala Pocket Classics)” by Pema Chödrön -

“when the resistance is gone, so are the demons.”

We all experienced this with our DOCs…now to implement it more fully in my life.

7 Likes