My story, and introductions

I am a 29 year old epilepsy patient that binge drinks everyday. I go to a bar everyday after work for a few hours and drink as much as I can. I from there go home to shower and eat dinner and I’d say %75 of the time go back to the bar after. I am done with hurting the people I love and allowing for this sickness to take control of my life. I am here in hopes of finding the support from the community and meet people that can relate. Alcohol has set me back so far in life and it time I get it together.

12 Likes

Welcome Ryan! :wave:

I have some family members who live with epilepsy. It definitely has an impact! But it’s manageable with the right lifestyle. (Not sure how the drinking might affect it though - neither one is a big drinker.)

Getting sober is a good call. It takes effort each day but the reward is 100% worth it.

Welcome to Talking Sober :innocent:

2 Likes

I very much relate to this and you’re not alone…I feel the hardest part is navigating these emotions and not falling back into our old or bad habits we want to be rid of. It’s not easy but you should be proud you have taken the steps to begin letting go of the things that do not make you happy.

1 Like

Seizures can be caused by multiple things. Everyone knows about flashing lights, but alcohol is another big factor. More so the extreme dehydration the fallowing morning. Being to dehydrated can be very dangerous. Especially for me in my case. Lights do nothing for me but hangovers have come very close to killing me on multiple occasions.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that. My best friend deals with epilepsy and I know it’s been a challenging for them. Hangovers are awful and for me it’s the anxiety and guilt that come with it.

1 Like

I have to make this change. I hope this community will help distract me from wanting to go to the bar. Find a sense of socializing from this. Do you you think non alcoholic beers or cocktails are a smart way to start or only a tease that will lead to a bad decision.

3 Likes

Personally, I think it would make me want to drink more. With it being so fresh, I think we should find other environments to be in until we have become more familiar with the sobriety life. I need distractions as well and I’ve been on here all day while I’ve been working. It’s already lifted my mood knowing I can come here to talk to someone. So I’ll keep messaging with ya so we can both stay distracted haha :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re determined to make a healthy change, that’s good! :innocent:

For me I started by learning as much as I could about my addiction. I read a lot about it; I watched YouTube videos about it. There are podcasts about a bunch of different topics here:

Resources for our recovery

The next step and the one that really started me working on it seriously was when I joined a recovery group in my city. This was the moment when I opened up to another person about it, fully. It was liberating to share my story with a group of people who’d been down the same road. (There are groups listed at the link I shared above, if you want to take a look. Many have online options available too if you can’t make it in person. The nice thing about online is you can find a meeting 24 hours a day! It’s great when you need something to do with the free time you have now from not being drunk - which you’ll notice is a lot :innocent:)

Take it one day at a time Ryan & you’ll get there.

3 Likes

I completely understand that mentality. Drinking like it’s going out of style…it never lets you win! At least you know there are outlets of support like this and we’re all here for each other! It’s not an easy road I won’t lie yet, when you feel a little caught up and lost then stop breathe and remember that it’s moment by moment, day by day. :+1:t2: You’ve already taken the next step to stopping just by admitting it to yourself and to a supportive community!

3 Likes

Welcome Ryan!

I suffer from seizures not from epilepsy but from a head injury, I suffered my first one in almost 20 years after stopping meds, and detoxing from alcohol that one was near fatal.

I am 1.5 years seizure free and 19 months sober, a big help has been a change in diet, medications taken regularly, and most of all staying away from the sauce, i worked my ass off to get my license back, my life back, while I still suffer some cognitive setbacks, memory, sleep and mood disorders but that’s life with a head injury, I repeat myself a lot too, cause I’ll forget I told you something. Most people are used to it,

Alcohol is no beunos when it comes to seizures, it almost killed me, plus the money you save being at home vs the bar is enough to prove its worth it

5 Likes

Thank you for your show of support. I am not expecting this to easy at all and I know I will be struggling to say the least. But I want change and I’m going to fight for it.

2 Likes

I believe in you if you’re ready for change and ready to fight! I have my own lows and highs as will you and if you keep believing and fighting it’ll happen for you! Good job so far!

2 Likes

Today was a struggle. I was able to stay away from the bar after work today. But now after getting some bad news all I want is to drink. I know tonight will be hard getting to sleep as well.

2 Likes

Hey at least you kept away from the bar that’s a huuuge step forward! And believe me I’m the queen of bad news and I’d say you’re already winning better than I have! Don’t let life’s bad moments keep you from doing what makes you feel better and be a better you in the future! I keep playing strategy games on my phone…I know it’s lame but it keeps my mind off of drinking. Remember deep breath and let yourself remember the alcohol doesn’t fix the bad news it just numbs it and it’ll still be there once the high of drinking passes and that’s what is the creation of the cycle of drinking. You’re a fighter so keep fighting!

1 Like

I find it helps me to take a hot bath or shower before bed. Helps me relax - it’s soothing.

There’s a whole thread about sleep here - lots of tips:

Sleep, Oh Glorious Sleep!

Take care brother and don’t give up. Come on here if you need some company, there’s almost always some people around. And if you want to find a meeting at midnight - the online ones are on just about 24 hours a day - they’re always there to pass time! :innocent:

Online meeting resources

1 Like

Hi Ryan, welcome to TS! You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for distraction and support from people that can relate!!

They’ve been wonderful for my sobriety-l’m on Day 32 AF since joining this forum! :+1: lt has been MUCH easier than previous attempts!

How long have you had Epilepsy? If you don’t mind me asking? I worked in the ER for a long time and sometimes saw alcoholics misdiagnosed with Epilepsy. I met people with similar stories in rehab too.Once they detoxed and stayed sober their seizures stopped happening. I’m not saying this is your story, but just wondering if there is any correlation between your drinking and seizures, l guess? I’m obviously not a Dr but hope you have a good one. All the best with everything :+1::pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

One of my favorite AA meetings is at 530 pm, which just happens to be after work. Why not hit a meeting rather than the bar? It definitely worked for me.

5 Likes