Sleep, Oh Glorious Sleep!

Hey there everyone! So, I have a few questions about sleep for anyone who has some advice. I have trouble sleeping like most everyone.

What are some of the things you do to TRY to get a good night’s sleep? Also, what time do you get up and what time do you go to bed?

It seems for me that it takes forever for me to fall asleep. Then once I fall asleep I awake MANY times during the night to go to the bathroom but can usually but not always go back to sleep. It literally takes me about an hour or two to get to sleep. Is that normal?

I will be seeing my doc soon for a regular followup and I intend to bring it up, but that’s not until the end of April.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Goodnight all and stay sober one day at a time :pray:

4 Likes

I go to bed at midnight every night and wake up at 5:30 AM every morning (including weekends).
Right now, I am taking an OTC sleep aid to get to sleep at night:
CVS Health Nighttime Sleep Aid Mini Caplets 25 mg -
2 tablets if I don’t feel at all sleepy;
1 if I feel somewhat sleepy

Hope this helps @Janny

1 Like

I am still trying to get sleep right (46 days), I have trouble falling or staying alseep. A few things that have been helping although it’s still not perfect. I take a 5g melatonin 30 min before bed, this helps me fall asleep but I do still wake up around 2 or 3 am. I’ve been trying sleep meditation to get back to sleep and it has worked well. If you google Yoga Nidra the first 20 min video that comes up is a good one. For longer meditations I really like Michael Sealy on youtube. The audio copy of The Power of Now by Ekhart Tolle is also really good for drifting off. For me it’s about trying to get my mind to stop racing.

1 Like

Try to stop drinking liquids 3 hours before sleep, and maybe try taking some melatonin before bed as well.

2 Likes

Id check that you dont have urinary infection or related. And what @JeffreyDale said makes sense too. Are you a coffee drinker, or beverages that include caffeine? Green tea should also be avoided. What kind of supplements you take?

You could also try yoga nidra. And ,1 thing to calm your nervous system down is to give yourself a daily abhyanga (its an ayurvedic self massage with suitable oil, youll find tips on internet). If youd like to get tips of certain NON psychoactive and safe to use herbs, hit me with a message. I def am not starting to act like any witch doctor here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The first 3 months or so your body has to find a new balance, that’s why we sleep so badly in the beginning. This things can help:
Stop using computer, mobile phone or tablet 1 hour before go to bed because of the blue screen light that keeps you awake. Don’t work out in the evening (the endorfines will keep you awake afterwards). Take a hot bath of shower before sleep with some lavender product (it’s relaxing).
Use a melatonin product, you can buy it at the supermarket or pharmacist/drugstore.
Listen to calming music or meditate before bedtime. I used the free app “Insight timer” for that.
:heart:
And…don’t worry! It will be better soon!
Congratulations with your sober days, keep going :facepunch: :tada:

6 Likes

Only thing i can add to this is get a routine. Lay down same time and try getting up same time. You have to train your body. Like @SoberWalker said this takes months to get a good solid 6 or more hrs of continuous sleep. My first few weeks i hardly got 2-4 hrs of floppin like a fish outta water sleep. it gets better u will gain alil more time and quality sleep each month…

4 Likes

Stuff I do (sometimes):

Sleep with a tempurpedic eye mask
White noise machine/fan
Meditation before or in bed
No screens in bed
Have an old fashioned clock so I can see the time without looking at my phone screen
Journal right before bed
Read until I fall asleep

3 Likes

I miss sleep so much on heroin I could sleep for 16 hours the beginning was the worst for me Im on day 23 and while I dont sleep great it’s better i lay down for bed around 10-1030 but don’t fall asleep until around 1230 and am up by 530 I take melatonin and sometimes sleepy time tea I miss it so much but once Im more active maybe Ill like having more time Idk

2 Likes

Well, that sounds familiar. I have had insomnia and sleep issues from PTSD for about 30 years, so …ugh. I have tried about everything under the sun. I also battled a wicked addiction to various sleeping pills for years as well because of my sleep issues. Not sleeping well is truly a scourge and effects every part of your self. This year was my big year of fixing it once and for all and I am sleeping a lot better. It has been trial and error.

I don’t know your age, but women can have major sleep issues due to hormonal changes, I certainly did for awhile. There were supplements that helped when I was in that stage of life. That’s a whole other thread.

So here are some of the things that I have learned and tried, most being helpful… maybe some will help you…

I try to keep a fairly regular sleep schedule. In bed by 10:30 /11pm and up by 6:30 or so depending on the day and my damn cats.

I have been enjoying listening to youtube sleep meditations when I get into bed.

I keep our room at about 67 or 68 degrees Fahrenheit with the AC (live in Florida)…the so called optimum sleep temp.

I don’t drink caffeinated beverages or eat (too much) dark chocolate after 4pm.

I try to limit my water intake after 7pm.

If I am getting up to pee too often in the night, I will take a few Hyland’s Naturopathic Bladder pills…these work wonders for me. I also take a daily probiotic made for women’s PH issues.

I purchased a weighted blanket. It really helps, also helps with making me feel safe and less anxious.

I diffuse lavender sleep blends in my bedroom which also increases the humidity, a good thing when using AC or heat.

I use a sleep mask as our room has door and window louvers which let too much light in for me. I also use ear plugs after my meditation because…our cats are spoiled AF.

I bought a new mattress…that helped as our old one was way old and I was stuck in a hole all night. I also got a new memory foam pillow, I love it.

Magnesium in various forms can assist with sleep (and muscle recovery if you work out). I use it in warm epsom salt baths before bed. Drinking Calm supplement before bed. Or use the body spray.

I have had success taking 1 Benadryl before bed. Doesn’t leave me groggy. Others take valerian in pill or tea form or melatonin (very low dose)…neither ever worked well for me sadly.

I drink a mug of tea for sleep as part of my wind down. And I have a fairly simple to bed routine I stick to.

I do yoga nidra yogic sleep practice once or twice a week. I love this form of meditation and it is so healing for my body and mind.

Journaling a bit before bed and or making lists for the next day can be helpful to clear your mind.

Finally, and this is controversial in recovery circles, but I mention it as it is the only thing that is consistently helping me fall asleep, stay asleep and go back to sleep in a few minutes after I get up to pee. After decades of struggling with my sleep, my doctor and I decided I should try medical marijuana. I HATE smoking pot and being high (hadn’t smoked pot since 1970s, it was never my DOC). Plus after kicking a 30+ year cigarette smoking habit, the last thing I wanted was to reintroduce smoking into my life. Anyway…they don’t sell flower here in Florida, and I would not smoke it even if they did…but they have tinctures and dose pens with premeasured doses. I have found just a tiny bit (about 1/5th) of a normal dose of a mixture of THC and CBD helps me achieve a healthy sleep cycle. It has truly been a blessing. With the CBD mixed in, I don’t get high, just relaxed and sleepy. I know it isn’t possible for many people and I know it is something I have to keep an eye on with my history, but it is working for me where nothing else had (and helped me get off Lexapro). So take that info with a grain of salt. I am also an almost 60 year old female, so we have our own sleep issues as we age and reach menopause.

So…there are my many suggestions…hopefully some will help you. Not sleeping sucks, but much like sobriety, you need to find the combo that works for you.

What a long reply! Obviously a topic I am passionate about.

:heart:

5 Likes

Routine is key!! Do the same thing every night so your body gets used it. I always go to bed at around 9ish then read for about an hour. No phone!! I also removed my alarm clock so there is no excess light. My smart watch is currently my alarm clock. The buzz on my arm is enough. I also got a weighted blanket to help me stay asleep (less tossing and turning)

I have used melatonin and magnesium occasionally but not regularly.

My husband is thinking about trying white noise or binaural beats but the first night we tried I was still jet lagged and I couldn’t sleep…I don’t know if it was the noise or my body keeping me up.

3 Likes

Yeah, agree with @VSue and others. Time, to me, is the ultimate healer for sleeping well. Coupled with patience and a good routine.

I went to bed at 10:30 last night, woke up naturally at 6:30 this morning, realized it was Caturday and closed my eyes for another hour or two because Caturday. :grin:

It took probably a good three months before going to bed was easy. The habit of a cup of herbal tea before bed seems to help. Maybe it’s the tea, maybe it’s Pavlovian training that tea = bedtime? (shrug) The waking up early and awake took still another three months.

Getting enough sleep was also important. At first I was only sleeping 6 hours/night and thought I was golden cuz it came easy. I was feeling wrecked in the middle of the day though.

Turned out after years of drinking every night that I was mistaking the waking up without a hangover for actually sleeping as well as I really could. I still wasn’t actually sleeping quite enough. Trying to get to bed earlier everyday then helped get the midday fog out of my head.

2 Likes

What’s your caffeine intake? Do you work out? Ive cut out coffee recently and only drink one cup of tea in the morning. I also have to have white noise and my room and house has to be completely dark. The moment I see a sliver of light I wake up :unamused: @anon30771928 said counting sheep actually worked for her the other night lol… Would definitely be worth trying :sheep:

4 Likes

I should add…in my experience (with myself and with kids) if you’re having trouble falling asleep it’s better to go to bed earlier. Staying up late hoping that tiredness will help you fall asleep actually has the opposite effect. I’ll even sleep in later if I go to bed earlier. It’s not what makes sense in the brain but it works.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s another important one. As a hard rule I drink no caffeine after noon.

Recently had a half a cup of coffee at 9 pm without thinking about it. Was wide awake till like 1 am! #lightweight

4 Likes

Thanks so much for all of the responses and suggestions! I am certainly going to try some of them! As for caffeine, I don’t drink anything with caffeine in it on a regular basis; only occasionally. Again, thank you very much! Have a great weekend!

3 Likes

I must be really odd i see alot of sleep threads but i sleep so much better sober i dont seem to get these issues which is great. When drinking i was waking up most hours through the night.
Only thing i do notice is i nap more!

3 Likes