NEED a hobby

Boredom I feel is my biggest problem. I need a hobby. Everything I tried so far I haven’t stuck to. I think being sober I’m feeling A LOT more. It’s like I need some excitement or something… if that makes sense?

8 Likes

Hey im isaac

1 Like

I hear you. I’ve tried many things. Took tap dancing for a year. Just got my dusty guitar out a few weeks ago, need to relearn a few chords. I volunteer at the courthouse information desk. So, just pick something. It keeps my mind off other problems and brain busy.
What r u interested in?

3 Likes

Yes!!! I can totally relate. Even though recovery I find can be exciting at times, I also find it very routine. Is there anything you’ve wanted to try? Some hobbies I’ve picked up over the years when I’ve had boughts of sobriety is baking, working out, and beading. Just for some ideas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Reading the following thread is quite a hobby…full of great info…

Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

Also, this hobby thread…

Hobbies and Interests

8 Likes

What’s the weather like for you? If it’s nice, can go biking, swimming, hiking, kayaking, camping? if it’s cold and snowy can try skiing? Snowboarding, snow shoeing. For indoor stuff, maybe learning how to draw, knitting, doing make up videos, baking, I’m still in the midst of finding out what I really enjoy too. I started drinking at 16 and that was all I seemed to enjoy, so I didn’t really do much of anything else lol. I’ve been trying to think of what I really enjoyed before that and it definitely is hard for sure

2 Likes

I’m in Massachusetts so the weather ain’t great. I was thinking of trying crocheting again lol I was bad before but then again I was doing it drinking so I don’t know :woman_shrugging:t4: I need to get my ass back to the gym… it’s just getting myself there that’s the hard part.

2 Likes

Trouble is, if I’m not using I can’t be assed to do anything.

1 Like

Gym if you are into physical stuff. Learn a language if you like books

2 Likes

Have you ever tried a diamond painting kit? There are a ton of pictures and it’s kind of a mindless activity. I like to sit and listen to an audiobook while I work.

Also, there are a TON of great at home workouts you can get. I find, doing it at home, I no excuse not to.

4 Likes

I’ll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

The gym is my main thing right now, it’s deff the best. Start small, I’d start out at just 20 minutes treadmill, and some weights. Now I can jog 5 miles, and have lost 30 pounds. Gym is definitely where it’s at. I agree it’s getting you’re but in there lol, but once you start you feel so damn good, and it helps with everything mentally as well.

3 Likes

Congrats man that’s awesome! Your so right. I’m gonna start going. Once I go I feel good.

1 Like

www.darebee.com is where I get mine. They even have a phone app, but I print them out.

2 Likes

Hobbies suffice in the short term, I think, but finding a passion is best for the long term. For me it’s martial arts. Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Lethwei and BJJ are an integral part of my sober life.

6 Likes

I too haven’t found a damn hobby for myself and it’s been 5 Months + already for me! I’ll find one fucking around out there some where though and you will as well. Just be patient and keep trying out new things.

2 Likes

Oooh maybe volunteer at a retirement home? It’s a win win all around, and old people are so dang cute!

1 Like

Cooking got me through the tough early days. Everyone’s gotta eat, might as well get good at making them delicious meals!

3 Likes

I had hobbies when I drank. I have more hobbies now. I still get bored.

I think for me that’s part of why I drank. Not exactly boredom, just a general dissatisfaction with life. Wanting something different, better, more.

Learning to sit with boredom has been challenging but good. Now I love having time to just chill out. I guess cultivating mindfulness is a hobby, things like meditation, walking and yoga seem to work best for me when I commit to them.

5 Likes

How about puzzles! I’ve heard those diamond paintings can be fun too. What about picking a class or something that you have never tried (yoga, kickboxing, pottery) maybe you will like something new.