Neighborhood Coffeehouse Gos-Sipping

I used to enjoy getting Starbucks Americano every once in a while as a treat. I or rather my wallet doesn’t believe in paying €5 for a cup of coffee so it really wasn’t often. I used to love it. The last couple times I did it it was truly atrocious. Could hardly drink it and will not get it anymore. I dunno what changed there other than that it’s bad news.

At home I grind whole beans I get from the grocery store, medium roast. the blond/dark debate was interesting, thanks for the info @Scorpn [btw I am seriously impressed with you tackling your coffee habit. Way to go!] I’ve not seen either advertised on the beans I get, I just get the regular makes like Lavazza (Italian) or Mövenpick (Austrian), nothing fancy. And I like the ones with chocolatey undertones. I do have a fancy kind from a Berlin Roastery at home for guests, which is incredible. Sumatra blended roast with chocolatey tones, called Berlin Pearl. A similar one we use at work, same roastery.
I prepare my coffee in a stovetop bialetti mocca maker. Detest a French press tastes like wet towel to me.

I don’t know why I felt the need to share all this. Unusually candid for me. Very satisfying.

I don’t consider myself a coffee snob. I will very happily drink filter and drip machine coffee. Just no nonsense and no bad quality for good money.

5 Likes

My only coffee pot is a Bialetti Kitty. Pic is from Amazon.

I’m happily drinking instant because I don’t want to wait 12 min for the Kitty.

Recently switched from a dark roast to a classic roast which might be “blonde”. It has good flavor, I think it’s delicious, I use a tad almond milk to cool it like @Scorpn.

6 Likes

Wait 12 minutes? What kind of stove are you using? That’s my kitty btw, been using it for I have no idea how long, 30 years? My choice of beans is becoming blonder by the year. The one I like best at the moment is a Honduras Red Honey medium roast from a local coffee store. Pretty snobbish I guess. And I got myself a bigger pot, in the morning I need a BIG one. Or two.

As to Starbucks, I really only go there when travelling. Sort of like I used to go to McDonald’s once every holiday in the past.

6 Likes

I see your Kitty in the background. Electric. Enjoy this morning’s cuppa. :hugs:
I have maybe had one cup of coffee from Starbucks.
I want a lemon bar from them.

5 Likes

This is the same one I have just one size smaller and in a bit better condition. Inherited mine from my (ex-)in-laws Italian holiday home, always liked that it was Italian bought. :slight_smile: it’s been fixed up a few times, broken handle and such.
Bialetti on a gas stove takes what, 4-5min max? BEST! :heart::ok_hand:

5 Likes

I LOVE Lavazza !!

And really most coffee that isn’t Starbucks attempt at Italian coffee.

I haven’t ever heard of Mövenpick, but I’m going to look online and see if it’s available here. :relieved:

:relaxed::relaxed: Thank you!!! I have been trying really hard. Today the goal is 8 shots. Wish me luck :crossed_fingers::sweat_smile:

7 Likes

:flushed::flushed:

2 Likes

When I was in the USA, I really liked this one. Not cheap. But nothing is over there…

4 Likes

Coffee is coffee. I mean, I love Indonesian medium blends freshly ground in my coffee press, as well as the dependable Timmy’s, but that’s preference. Are they quantitatively worse or better than other coffees? Nah. Unless we’re talking about actual freshness or integrity of the product, you’ll have a hard time convincing me it’s not preference we’re talking about.

But in this thread, we can bond over our snobbery. Keep it flowing! :laughing::smiling_imp:

7 Likes

I sold coffee to corporate accounts for 4 years. Starbucks is considered “mid-range” from a quality perspective, in the industry. Their beans are a bit overpriced when taste/quality is considered. However, their marketing is exceptional, which gives them strong brand loyalty. Their retail presence is the largest out of all the brands, I think. There’s better coffee, but fewer shops to get it.

Would I drink Starbucks? Yes. Same with Dunkin, and 7/11. All drinkable. None are my first or second choice though. La Colombe and Lavazza, in that order. At home, I drink coffee from a little boutique roaster out of Florida.

What I think is drink what you like and can afford. The choices are there for any taste.

9 Likes
3 Likes

Can’t believe no one has stuck this in yet…

coffee

6 Likes

Well I guess I’m a snob. I like Starbucks coffee…both black and fancy. Who cares what coffee you drink? McDs, 7/11, Dunkin’, Tim’s (which I’m sorry to previous poster…Tim’s is vile swill!! :joy:). Heck even if you prefer tea over coffee. Who gives a rats ass. Everyone gets to pick what they like. And no one gets to say they’re better than someone else because they like different. So yeah, I despise Tim’s but that doesn’t mean previous poster isn’t allowed to love it!!

YOU DO YOU BOO!!

4 Likes

I am not an expert in coffee, I do not like specially Starbucks coffee, considering that is very expensive as well. Nevertheless I like Starbucks environment, being in a place where you cannot see bottles full of alcohol is more desirable for that taking a coffee in a corner bar when probably someone is taking a morning liquor. I have to confess, and maybe I am a snob, that being in Starbucks helps to my sobriety and recovery.

4 Likes

Story time:

When i was a teenager and I didn’t have a place to go, I used to frequent a Starbucks in the area. They never told me I had to leave because I hadn’t bought anything, and on occasion, some of the baristas even gave me a coffee or sandwich free. They didn’t know my situation, that I was homeless or that I had been hungry/thirsty, etc. But they always welcomed me and that’s why I fell in love with the company. The coffee was hot and fresh, and the sandwiches would get me through to the next meal.

I do this now for some of the regulars who can’t buy anything, who just want to get out of the cold or rain (or heat of the summer) and try to make them feel welcome, like the baristas did for me way back when.

:two_hearts:

I do agree that Starbucks coffee isn’t superior to all other coffees, but the experiences, were. :relaxed:

17 Likes

Beautiful story!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I got Dark Roast today, but they only had a pour over. It was not very good. Can I blame you for this?

4 Likes

Lol, if you want to. :sweat_smile: Which roast was it? I don’t really like the pour over either…

3 Likes

I just asked for Dark Roast. Was that not a correct order?

1 Like

Dark roast varies depending which week of the year/what is available in the store.
Like i have dark roast Christmas blend, thanksgiving blend, and Verona available…
I am more of a blonde roast (also different ones available) kind of person…

But i will take blame for you not liking your coffee. :sweat_smile:
I can even call the store and ask them to refund you if you know the store number :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

5 Likes