New here! First day

Does anyone have any helpful hints for getting started? Looking for some support so I can stick with it!

4 Likes

Welcome! Sure I can help by giving you an idea of what I have done that keeps me focused on staying alive and happy. First, I recommend that you get the big book of AA and read it. Then attend a few different meetings in your area to see what others have to say, and then, if this is the life you want, work the steps. Most importantly, don’t drink or use today. Best wishes.

2 Likes

Welcome, this forum has a ton of great information. I suggest checking out this thread:
New for 2020? Start here!
Also, join us on the check in thread. It’s a great form of accountability. Here’s the link:
Checking in daily to maintain focus #9

2 Likes

Thanks. Reading everyone’s posts and seeing how supportive others can be is really inspiring. Addictive behavior runs in my family, and I went into my mid 20s without drinking. Then, I met my boyfriend who drinks regularly at home. Over the course of a year, I became a daily drinker. I’ve now been drinking daily for 3 years. I feel shameful, guilty, and like I have lost time with my family. How did you guys cope with those feelings?

2 Likes

Show them you can do better and be better! That’s what helped me :hugs:
Change the future, you can’t change the past…
It’s hard to deal with that, I know. But the more sober days you have the more that bad period is behind you. So focus on the new you now and your sober life.

4 Likes

Thank you for the support and motivation! I appreciate it :grinning:

1 Like

I’m new here as of just a few hours ago. I have a little over 8 months clean! Pretty proud of myself. I was just thinking. I’M SO GLAD I’M NOT IN ACTIVE ADDICTION WITH WHATS GOING ON IN THE :earth_americas: RIGHT NOW​:scream:

3 Likes

Welcome Holly! And congrats on 8 months, that’s a wonderful achievement. Looking forward to seeing you around!

@K95011 welcome, it’s very nice meeting you. You’ve made a really important first step, recognizing there’s a problem, and reaching out. Meetings are helpful and they’re possible even at times of quarantine, using resources like:

Keep in touch here & read ideas for self-care. Share your experiences. Addiction thrives in isolation so the more you can do to connect & learn with other people in recovery, the better!

Welcome to this new chapter of your life. You have the power in you to do this. As the old expression goes, recovery is simple, but not easy - but it’s always worth it :innocent:

1 Like