New here needing advice

New to the group any advice on how to fight the urge when drinking is always around.

6 Likes

Hi :raising_hand_woman:

Welcome to the community, have you tried meetings before?

I use this 24hour zoom meeting, the code is

Really helps to listen to others experiences.
When I first started using this meeting I joined with my audio and camera off and just listened in, no one knew i was there.
I lived on this meeting for my first 30 days then I found this community that is full of supportive people and has plenty to read too.
Keep reaching out and stick around here it really helps to know your not alone :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thank you i will try out the meetings

2 Likes

Welcome Nicole!! This gets asked a lot, I know I asked as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

This recent thread has some good suggestions…

Happy to join you in sobriety today!!!

5 Likes

Welcome and read around, good advice here :hugs::sunflower:

4 Likes

Welcome! Coming here is a great first step.

I changed people, places and things…if it had anything to do with alcohol…it was gone. In the beginning it seemed terrifying…I DONT MISS ANY OF IT!!!

Be active here, it will help.

7 Likes

Welcome Nicole
Being active on here has helped me stay sober.
Have a good read around. Join in when your comfortable.

5 Likes

At first I relied a lot on audio books
Listening to joe and Charlie. AA speakers and a lot of other self help books.
Having the blue tooth ear plugs allowed me to still work but not focused on the mess in my head or the tricks of wanting to drink

2 Likes

For the first three months I avoided the alcohol aisle at stores, any bars and restaurants I used to drink in and all social events where I would normally booze it up. It sounds lonely and it is a little bit but I took that quiet time to rest up, get some distance and build up my sober muscles by saying no every day when I thought about drinking. It gets easier with practice and effort. Reach out if you need us and read around for encouragement. It was helpful for me to see myself in other’s stories. Keep up the good work!

6 Likes

How are you doing today?

1 Like

Welcome on board! I’m 9 months in. The 1st few days are rough. I printed in large bold print the top 3 reasons I decided to quit and stuck them where I could see them 1st thing in the morning. After that I completely avoided the people, places and things that were in any way associated with my past drinking life. Letting go of the drinking ‘friends’ was like ripping off a band aid. Not a gradual painful pulling away, one sharp yank. They soon forgot about me and everyone moved on with their lives. It’s like I died to them. That’s how fake friendships held together by drinking are.
Wish you great success. Celebrate every badge and milestone. You’ve earned it!

3 Likes