New hobbies

So since this seems to be something a lot of us need when getting sober, I found this website and thought I’d share

http://www.discoverahobby.com/

What new hobbies have you picked up??

7 Likes

Crocheting
Gardening
Wire wrapping
Essential Oils
Writing
and addicted to reading

4 Likes

I really want to get into essential oils, I just got a book. Tried gardening and discovered that rather than a green thumb, I have a black one. I’d love to just be able to have a small herb garden! What is wire wrapping? Sounds interesting :thinking:

I bought a Birding book and a small lap loom for weaving when I was rip-roaring drunk one night on Amazon.
They both collected dust until I get sober and I’m really enjoying these hobbies as they’re cathartic (literally just watching for birds) AND busy work (weaving keeps my mind and hands busy)…

3 Likes

Wrapping sea glass and stones with copper wire :heart:

19 Likes

Succulents are pretty damn hard to kill and are absolutely beautiful plants. I have many and they bring me great joy :).

2 Likes

Wowww so beautiful!!!

hahaha yes, very hard to kill.

Thats my inspiration, I can’t take credit for it… working on it though!

Art has always been a huge part of my life.

11 Likes

@SmirnoffSiren - great site thanks.

It’s not so much a hobby, but been making an effort to cook a wider variety of foods. In the past, I would make a handful of dishes, and try an occasional recipe, or just grill stuff. The whole thing was intimidating. About two months ago I signed up for “HelloFresh” meal kit delivery, and It’s been a big success! We enjoy the meals, and I’m learning to prep and cook different things. It is a bit pricey, about $9-$10 a dish, but I spend less shopping, and NOT buying vodka anymore funds the rest!

3 Likes

I am so adding rock hunting to my list :heart_eyes:love it!!!

1 Like

Finally finishing stripping the table and chairs. Got dremel tools today. Reading a lot I have a serious relationship with ordering off amazon. And hanging out with friends I haven’t seen in forever. Repairing and building friendships. And cleaning I’ve cleaned out every closet in the house.

4 Likes

Looking for sea glass, reading, and enjoying and actually looking forward to self care (face masks, paint nails) etc.
Naps. I love naps.

6 Likes

I’m getting back into baking. It’s a bit expensive if you get fancy with it but the result is always delicious and I put a smile on everyone’s face…double the satisfaction. I recently just bought a cake book called Layered which I recommend, I’m going out of my comfort zone with layer cakes but they are all beautiful and delicious so far. On that note, I’m also getting into exercise :wink: weight training specifically and yoga here and there.
Reading is also something I have time for now! Exploring the bookstore is a lot of fun!

6 Likes

This may sound stupid but im rediscovering my love of videogames. Before i got sober i didnt have the patience and would just drink and watch the same youtube videos over and over.
Looking in to starting crossfit and/or martial arts( boxing, brazilian jiu-jitsu, ect.)

5 Likes

That is gorgeous! Did you make that?

I’ve been doing Pilates and am about to leave for an instructor training course so I can teach it. When I get back, I want to use my newly developed strength to start taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. I am loving the way physical strength and agility makes me feel. Now, I want to add the skill of self-defence.

4 Likes

No, it’s just an example… but I’m learning :grinning:

Oh ok. Oops. You’ll have it sussed in no time! :grin:

I don’t have any new hobbies yet but I’m trying to learn guitar and I’m going to take a drawing class in the spring. But these are all still in the feel it out stages…

1 Like