New to recovery!

Hi, Im 17 years old and I smoked every day for the past two years. This year i starts taking harder drugs and very well could have overdosed. Weed has helped me threw so much but im really having a hard time quitting everything. Does anyone have any advice?

3 Likes

Welcome Katey to the Talking Sober forum. This is a good place to start your recovery. Maybe talk to your high school guidance counselor for help or a trusted family member. Sounds like you want to do the right thing, but need help doing it. Possibly even an in-treatment recovery center might be your best bet.
Reaching out in this forum you will meet some incredible people that will help guide you along the way in your journey in sobriety. Stay focused and determined and keep reaching out.

3 Likes

The early bird gets the worm, as the saying goes. You are doing the right thing by asking for help. It takes courage and some of us had to much pride to ask for help sooner. I admire your strength. If you keep it up you will be back on track in no time. And as mr wallick said, you are in a good place to meet amazing people. God be with you, Danielle

1 Like

Thank you so much

1 Like

Thank you that means alot, this journey will be difficult but im glad i was able to find this app and hopefully we can all help each other out!

Welcome Katey, I am Jan and I am an addict, gaming-addict to be specific. I also am 17, which is a very young age for someone to be in recovery. That’s why most people on here are “old”(no offense :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) It usually takes people a lot of more life ruining before they want to better their life. Because we quit so early we have our whole life in front of us.

I am proud of you for deciding to better your life, because it’s a big and hard step.

I highly recommend checking in daily to keep focus in the checking daily to maintain focus thread.

I also recommend finding some activities to fill time like, running, cycling, working out, meditation/mindfulness, crafts, drawing, reading etc.

I also recommend reading on this forum a lot on this forum and asking questions if you have any.

Do you want to know a secret to maintaining sobriety? If I think about not gaming for the rest of my life, it scares and I feel like giving up. If I think about not gaming for today. I can do that. I can also do that the next day. that way I can just rack up days without the thought of not using being a huge burden.

Don’t listen to your mind, your mind will not stop being a dick, it will be a dick less and less, but it will never fully stop being a dick.

Do you have cravings? Talk about it, that way you dont have to carry the burden on your own, and you will get distracted from them. Also play the tape. This means imagining using, and foreseeing what will happen. Will life be joyous and great, or will you be full of shame and self disgust becuase you relapsed.

When your mind tells you that you can use once, that’s bullshit, the biggest bullshit ever. Your addiction just tries to find a way to get satisfied.

I also recommend following the twelve step-program with a sponsor.

I hope this helps

Good luck, you’ve got this. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much for all the advice! I’ve been trying to be sober since the beginning of this month but I haven’t been able to do it until Monday I stopped but used again on Tuesday and today I I haven’t used at all and it’s the start to a new beginning. Yes I have cravings like crazy it sucks! But I know what I have to do because I don’t wanna end up like my parents :(I hope you’re doing well and thank you again

1 Like