New to this site-question

I am a 56 year old male. I am trying to figure out if I am an alcoholic. I travel once a month for work, so I am away from home for a week or so every month. While I am away, it tend to drink a lot. Usually pass out drunk. I don’t do that at home for the most part, but once in a while I will overdo it. But when I am on my own, I can’t seem to not drink. I have a family history of drinking, so I kind of feel like it’s in the genes. What I am trying to figure out is if I need to find an AA group where I travel to and maybe that would keep me off the booze.
Any thoughts, or someone in a similar situation?

10 Likes

Finding support for your trips is a great idea! You can also do virtual AA or other recovery support groups online (there are several options out there) and you can get active here and check in when you need some support any time at all.

It sounds like you feel like your alcohol use is problematic at times and you want to make a change. That’s really the bottom line in my opinion, whether you chose the label of Alcoholic or not. For some that can be freeing and for others it can feel limiting. That’s your choice.

I’m glad you came here for some support and wish you well on your efforts.

8 Likes

Maybe try checking in on this thread when you need a lifeline?

Checking in daily

3 Likes

Hi, @harley1903 , welcome! Maybe you don’t have to figure out if you’re an alcoholic. Maybe it’s enough to know you want to stop drinking . So you figure out what tools you need to do that. Sounds so simple, but if it weren’t so addictive, none of us would have any trouble just quitting!!
For me, getting to really know the nature of this addiction helped me change my mindset. Lots of good quit literature out there. Also having the support of a community like TS has been critical for me. Have a read around, visit often. :heart::+1:t3:

3 Likes

You are correct, it sounds so simple. When I am home I am a different person, I rarely feel the need to drink. If I am on my own it’s a completely different story. I do need to figure out what tools I need.

2 Likes

Thank you, it means a lot. There is no one I can go to in person, finding some like minded people online is a bit of a lifeline.

2 Likes

Maybe step back and ask yourself what you are covering with drinking when you are alone. HALT is a tool to identify real needs behind the cravings and adress them properly.
Welcome to the forum :sunflower:

2 Likes

Hey Harley.

Like you, 56, though I retired a couple years ago. I also travelled a lot for work and the majority of my drinking was on the road, boredom at hotels etc.
When I retired it became a 2 nights per week sometimes 3, to drink till I’m passed out in my chair. Never thought of myself as an alcoholic, but in hindsight I am.
I’ve been clear 46 days now, so while not experienced enough to speak about in depth, I do.know I feel much better about everything right now. Waking up for the most part feeling good, getting my health in order, exercising more consistently.

This page has been a massive help, if for anything the camaraderie, not judgemental and great responses from many people that care. The reading is fantastic as well so when I get some bored moments whereas there may be a chance of relapse, I read through the posts. Lots of wisdom here.

Hopefully we see you around some more, and know I will be pulling for you.
All the best

8 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I really need the support. I can’t talk about this with my wife. We are super close but this is not a topic I can bring up. I suspect she knows that I overdo it now and then, but I don’t know that she realizes that it goes deeper.

1 Like

I think you should focus on your success, and perhaps this will be a discussion with her for another time. I’m sure she would be supportive of you regardless, but you decide the when’s and how’s my friend.
I do think sobriety includes 100% honesty with yourself, and facing things head on. Apologies when warranted and frank discussion when needed. But again, you need to be comfortable and ready to take those aspects on.

Welcome to this group of like minded people, you will find a lot of help here. Stick around :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Reading these things

Help me with my sobriety.
Going on 22 years