Newby wants to be sober

Thank you, Looking forward to figuring out how to use the support forum and getting and if possible giving support support.

1 Like

Wow! That is terrible about your family history. I am so sorry to hear that. I am glad your kids are clean. And genes definitely have something to do with it. Congratulations to your brother 15 years sober. I reckon it is never too late to start a sober journey. I know it is going to be a struggle for me. I know I can be clean for a few weeks but after that… I guess that’s why they say One Day At A Time in AA. So that is my plan.

1 Like

Thank you Sassy. I’ll get back to you later.

1 Like

@Art1 @Lisa07
Hello again. Still unsure how to use this forum but I’ll work on it. 3 full days clean or sober. Whatever u want to call it. And working a diet with the noom ap. 2 new apps to start my new year. Feeling good so far. Nothing like a good sober nights sleep and no hangover in the am. Not feeling fat either lol. Thanks y’all for the words of encouragement on my first day.:smiley_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Wifey still drinking. We been drinking buddies and mostly happily married for 36 1/2 years. It’s been an easy three days since the New Years bender cuz I felt so bad after. Wish I had support at home. But I know I can only control myself. If I’m sober and lucky. I can’t control other people. Learned that with two grown up kids in recovery. Anyway nice to be able to put that out there. Good night all.
:pray: Looking forward to day 4.

4 Likes

Good for you @Dazercat. You’re doing awesome. It’s hard work but well worth it. Keep doing what your doing and feel free to come on and vent when things get tough.
Here’s a link that we all use to check in. Click on this and join in with everyone.
Checking in daily to help maintain focus #6
Here’s another link that has great information.
New for 2020? Start here!

1 Like

This is a really helpful safe space. I’m on Day 8. I’m 48-yrs old and have managed to always find a way to get my hands on alcohol since I was a young teen. Got my first DUI when I was 22, and my 2nd after my Dad died (an excuse, I know, but fk it) in 2011. I totally get that 2-day hangover. They are GREAT ways to quit drink,vtjo not recommended. The guilt, waking up drunk, all on Christmas…it motivated me to change. Yesterday was a weak spot, but it passed, curiously! And I wake up w/o a hangover.
Be prepared for feeling hungover anyway. And sugar/carb cravings. I’m going NUTS over sugar, part of the system detox.
Maybe give yourself a free pass to learn something you’ve always wondered about w/ the $$$ saved on cocktails? That’s what I’m doing. I’ve saved $90 so far, so when I want a bigass Slurpee or a big, fancy hibiscus tea for $6.00, then I’m doing it! I try to be gentle on myself and with alcohol being my biggest struggle, I let myself a couple of indulgences. Little rewards? Double-whammy and pick up a healthy hobby. Kayaking on a lake can be freakishly meditative. Wish I could do it more. Maybe that will be one of my rewards…keep at it! We’re all flawed and I guess it’s something we’ll deal with for a lifetime. The good news? Look of how many of us are in a similar position.
Best of luck, my friend. And happy 60th birthday! I think you’ll find this app helpful…

2 Likes

None of us want to go to meetings to begin with mate bit it sounds as though you know exactly what they have to offer and how they can be of help, I just hope that you will get your bum on a seat there if you end up needing to. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Day four, feeling good but restless, gotta keep busy in the evening more. My wife’s previous was an alkie and she told me in no uncertain terms if I went down the same road that would end it. Not sure how to go from here.

2 Likes

Maybe Google something DIFFERENT that you can look forward to. I’m on day 10 and having some ups & downs. Tonight, my teen daughter’s flew up to their dads, my mom (she lives with us) is out tonight, and I know I have a bottle of shit up in the cabinet.
Trying to think of options. Netflix? AGAIN? But it works. And the $ saved on alcohol, I treat myself to things I normally wouldn’t. Candy, the sugar withdarawl, or a fun drink I’d never normally get. Lemonade has been good. My horses need to be ridden, or my car vacuumed…a distraction is what helps me keep from obsessing. Then…it’s over!

I know the feeling my live in BF is my drinking buddy. We have done this for years I feel the same way just tired of drinking. We both are heavy drinkers I feel for me its time to move past Alcohol in my life. I will try an AA meeting for the first time in my life. Best of luck to you :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Hi congratulations on deciding to want to get sober💚

1 Like

Hello and welcome to your new sober life. We are ALL here to help. Read and gain knowledge from people who have been in your shoes. I’m Jim. Me and drinking never got along. Some call me an alcoholic, some don’t. All I know is 148 days ago I decided to change my life for the last time. And you CAN too! Post and join in the conversation. Lean on us, we all got your back!

2 Likes

Well it’s almost bedtime now and I haven’t checked in with anyone so I thought I would. I made it 5 days now. I thought today was easy. Yesterday, not so much! I’ve complained before but wifey is NO HELP as she made patron martinis this afternoon. I was drinking my green tea and then La Croix water. I kept busy, meditated, got in a workout, vacuumed, walked the dogs. Not in that order. I find hitting the gym or walking or even just meditating to start you day off really helps, after a good cup of fresh ground coffee in the am without a hangover of course. Coffee taste better fresh ground without a hangover.
Everybody stick to it the best you can. Drink lots of water. Pray. Take it one day at a time. :pray::heart:

2 Likes

148 days!! God Bless ya. Great work! I got 5 days. I haven’t decided if I’m changing for good or not. It’s a scary thought. I guess as they say in AA “One Day At A Time”. I’ve always been able to manage my drinking. We’ve got along well me and my booze. Except for passing out once and awhile at home I’ve never got a DUI or lost a job or lost a spouse or a car wreck or anything like that. I’ve always seemed to know my limits when I’m out. But boy can I cut loose when I get home. I sound just like an alcoholic don’t I? I reckon I am. Been doing it 45 years. Turning 60 this month and need a big change. I do get some hangovers though. It is the best to wake up without a hangover. Hangovers are my problem. Not the drinking. Keep up the great work. :pray::heart: I’m glad to be here.

3 Likes

@Dazercat What a great post. I was with ya every word. I ALMOST lost it last night. Day 10, and I was left unattended in my house with a bigass bottle of Kessler and 7-up…unopened. Kids flew up to spend a week with their dad, my mom (who lives with us) was out for the evening, and I was alone…with that one cabinet in the kitchen. I was obsessing. I thought, fine, I’ll start over tomorrow. So I ran around doing stuff, cleaning up and rearranging my room w/ Netflix in the background. Next thing ya know, I had ridden the Crave-Wave that was HEAVILY on my mind and I made it! Me?! A lifelong drinker?! I, too, don’t plan on torturing myself if I go on a big vacation and drink, but I REALLY am trying not to allow that.
What’s cool? The delayed gratification. We are used to punishing ourselves (hangovers, guilt, blackouts, the $$$ cost) and I sure punished myself not having a drink and turning up the tunes. But I have to say, I am FULLY acknowledging my choice to keep my mind out of that bottle. But I did it! Day 11. I was pacing, was getting ready to find an AA meeting ANYWHERE, and am SHOCKED I didn’t cave. I’m with ya, Dazercat. It’s not easy, but it is surely different. Kind of like an altered state from being drunk/hung/tired all the time. I like how I feel, just miss getting a buzz. But I’m trusting the process. Props on your honesty.

2 Likes

Turned 38 recently. Trying to do the same. My husband loves drinking. Let’s stay strong!!

1 Like

When I get through today I’ll have a week without a drink. I don’t see a problem with that.
Slept great. No hangover. Had a great cuppa. Spent time with God. Prayed. Read Al anon and sobriety materials. Now off to the fitness center to work out. One day at a time guys. One day at a time. Good luck all. And thanks for your support.
@Lisa07
@SassyRocks
@Julses

Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may welcome difficulties. I pray that they may test my strength and build my character.

From www.HazeldenBettyFord.org
I read sobriety devotionals there. Big help.

3 Likes

Thought I’d dig up my first post ever on here to make a few mentions to others who are, and have, helped me on my journey. And other newbies that might be out there. Who might want to read a really long share.

Through my sobriety and my children’s I have learned Sharing is for the person that shares not necessarily for the person reading it. Although if a share helps the reader that’s just even better

When I first came on here 01/03/2020 (American) @Edmund I was frightened. Scared shit. Now I realized I was just scared of how wonderful sobriety can be. I’ve received plenty of support around here that I’m grateful for.

My first few months on here I just did a gratitude list and didn’t get very involved as I am an introvert. Eventually branching out and just reading others post. Then eventually branching out and asking and giving my opinions. Like anyone would want my opinion?
I’m kind of alone (personally) in my sobriety journey. And that’s ok. Because I got you all, so I’m not really alone at all. And being alone without local friends is on me and my wife’s lifestyle and our lovely but recovering grown up children.

We actually moved away from Austin Texas because we would not let our kids come back to the party town of Austin after rehab in Utah. Hardest decision in my life. (Except when I tricked my mom into assisted living. I have a lot of experience with parents with Alzheimers and no regrets)

I mean the kids could have come back to Austin but not with our financial help. It was sober living financial help we would offer in another state. Take it or you’re on your own! They took it.

So how are we going to see our kids? We moved to Durango. Where we and the kids didn’t know anyone. The kids stayed in Cali. We had lovely visits the ten years we were in Durango. We are trying to get closer to Cali so now we live in Flagstaff. We don’t know anyone here either and that’s ok. It’s how we roll. But it does get lonely. Not a complaint mind you.

It made my day this morning to have been mentioned by people I consider friends in a far away land. I’ve never been one for social media. I never did and never will do Facebook.

Jenna. I feel like you are another daughter of mine somehow but in a world far away and I always want the best for ya. And my daughter is back in school at 32 after a big detour in life and now she’s in graduate school. I’m so proud of her. My daughter is a tough bird to be friends with but in my mind y’all could be great friends.

@MrsOdh @Olivia @Jennajen and all you lovely Scandinavia people, I love reading about all your stuff. Your family traditions and culture and foods and living so far north up by the arctic circle. One day I will get there. Not sure which country though they all seem amazing.

Sophia, my wife’s father’s, second wife, is the owner of a huge company in Fort Worth Texas. They are lovely people but the high class aristocratic people and I have nothing in common and it’s hard for me to be around them. I’m always putting my big feet. Yes both of them in my mouth. Or being told “your not going to wear that to the restaurant are you?” Or in a high class Texas accent “ “Darling………………!?” fill in the blank. I just know I did something wrong if I got that “Darling!?” :scream:

Courage to change today made me think of you Olivia and your sleepless nights.
Thought I’d pass it along.
From Courage to Change September 15
“I spoke about my concerns in an Al-Anon meeting, and another member related a similar problem. What had helped him was to accept the situation fully and admit that he was powerless to make himself sleep. In retrospect, he said, his sleeplessness had been a blessing; it had kept him too tired to get into trouble.
I realized that the same was true for me. Instead of worrying compulsively about a loved ones sobriety, watchful and nosy despite many attempts to mind my own business, lately Ive been too tired to be overly involved in anything that wasn’t my concern. I had often prayed to be released from my obsessive worry, and now, in an unexpected way, my prayers seem to have been answered.”

I’ve been there Olivia and it sucks those sleepless nights. And drinking and doing drugs didn’t help me but I didn’t realize that then. But Al Anon help me a lot when I was younger.

@Frandango
And Fran. It makes me happy God found you. How wonderful! :pray: God called me back about 15 years ago. What a blessing. I struggle a bit today because of all these false prophets out there,
especially in American. Giving us real Christians a bad name. When I struggle I go back to Luke 8:50 when Jesus said to Jairus “don’t be afraid. Just believe” and I also love. Mark 9:24. When the boy’s father cried out “I do believe! Help me with my unbelief!”

And I think it’s so cool catching you guys getting up early when I’m getting ready for bed. Or me getting up early and reading about y’all s day as I have my coffee and get ready for my day.

Right now I feel like I’m so blessed to be sober because I feel like I am experiencing trauma. Real trauma. Without getting political. I feel like I’m loosing the country I grew up to love and admire and respect. I am so afraid of election day. Right now I can have hope. After our election I seriously don’t know if there will be any hope left in me for my country. It is so so sad what’s happening over here. I’m just grateful for Gods miracle of sobriety for me in the year 2020. Couldn’t do it without him/her and y’all

And a few shoutouts to some other people here I’d like to share with and thanks for your support.
@aircircle @Yoda-Stevie I still romanticize about that bottle of wine. But I ain’t drinking today. And I’m getting OK with that. It doesn’t happen that often anymore. But it is real.

@JasonFisher You are a rock!
@Dragonflygirl82 always around for support for everyone. Love that about you.
@CapriciousCapricorn

I’m sure I’m missing some but thanks to all for my incredible journey.

:pray: :heart:

14 Likes

special mention to the ones I thought about and missed because I can only tag ten people I wanted to mention you all in above share.
@Mno
@Conor689908
@Dolse71
@anon79808082
@SassyRocks

10 Likes