Newly sober & I need help

First time here. I’m 42 and recently quit after 26 years of drinking. 5 days today. I have been getting some great advice on how to get through the shakes, anxiety attacks, irritability and all the other wonderful things that come with quiting, and I have followed them except for one, going to meetings. I am terrified. I have started up zoom countless of times with full intentions on attending the meeting but I always chicken out. I know I have to do it because doing this alone is not going to help me. Is this normal? Can I go into a zoom meeting with my camera off at first? Was anyone else as terrified as I am?

12 Likes

Welcome! Yes you can turn your camera and mike off and observe if you want.
Everyone is very loving especially towards new people.
:hugs:

4 Likes

Welcome Dotti,
Congratulations on your 5 days.
Meetings are a great idea. Looks like Donna already answered your question.
Here’s a site you can check out if you don’t have it already. Intherooms.com

Have a good read around here. This place has been a great place for me to get support in my sobriety. Addiction is too tough to go it alone. We are stronger in numbers. And we are all worth it.
:pray:t2::heart:
Here are two good threads to start:

7 Likes

It gets easier as you do it. Keep trucking on.

3 Likes

Im more afraid what will happen if the drinking/drugging where to continue for me personally, then being afraid of attending a meeting. You wont regret going if it starts to help you with your recovery. You dont have to say anything really can just say your there to listen.

1 Like

Welcome and great job on your 5 days. I don’t see why you can’t have your camera off. In fact, it might be a good idea for you to do that. Ease into it. You can do this.

4 Likes

Hi,
Here is the link for a 24 hour zoom meeting there is no password just this code to enter:

292 371 2604

You can turn your camera off and just listen until you do not have to speak until your ready.

Good luck with your journey
X

4 Likes

I’m new to sobriety too after many many years drinking and it’s all new and a bit scary for me too. It’s a lot of change. Change is scary but it’s also needed and necessary for growth and improvement. You can do it!

3 Likes

Welcome. Day 10. Meetings help so much. They will love you!

2 Likes

Thank you. I just checked it out and it wasn’t as scary as I made myself believe it would be. Once the kids are in bed and it’s quiet here I’ll go back in.

4 Likes

Does all that sound familar…quit drinking when I was 42…tried 5 different AA meetings in one and walked away with out going in each time.

Hindsight here: I wish I would have started early…I waited 90 days, finally went.

Stay active here, and do a meeting…it will be awesome!

4 Likes

One thing you might consider is calling your local AA hotline and asking to speak with a member. It’s more personal and might be more comfortable for you being one on one. A phone call might lead to a coffee or a meeting, or both. And you would have a friend to help you get yourself in the door.

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

3 Likes

Thats such good news, im glad you checked it out, i literaly lived in on that meeting especially at night.
Have a lovely day x

3 Likes

Heyy there and welcome, Iv just hit day 21. As a 26yr old male who has to serve alcohol for a job I’m proud of my achievement…

The fear of judgement is a massive thing but these meetings are a huge help and will give U all the little tips and tricks and help you meet people that have been through the early stages and can help get you through this… never know you might meet someone who becomes your life friends!

Best of luck with your journey you can do this :heart:

2 Likes

Just keep it up man. I only have 47 days and I feel great. You can do it. Stay determined!