No More Added Sugar

Ha ha :hugs: Here is the original, a lesson indead.
And pfffff: I do not like apples :see_no_evil:
In a hotel right now with a big breakfast buffet!
Hope I can find some healthy stuff around here…

6 Likes

I buy bananas green and refrigerate them. They will slowly ripen and get absolutely lush, rarely going bad. I have done this for years. They really taste like a cold banana ice cream. Dab some peanut butter on them and who needs the M and M’s?
I also do this with avocados. I buy the hardest ( and biggest) ones they have and put them in the crisper drawer just bc it is a convenient place where they are not rolling around. They will last a long time and get sooooooooo good. Rarely have one go bad. If I need one quicker, can just take out of fridge for a night or so. I usually have 5 or 6 or more in there.

1 Like
4 Likes

This would be good for me. I used to be religious about what I ate, but when I got sick a couple years ago, and then had health problems since, my eating has gone way off track.

You’ll do great. Don’t think about the future with no sugary deliciousness. Just think about now. Today you’re not eating added sugar, and maybe not in a year. :wink:

Just little baby steps. You’re lucky in that keto is still a thing. Find some tasty keto / low carb treats. There are amazing tasting things and recipes out there. And honestly, your taste profile will change as you let go of the extra sugar.

4 Likes

Good idea cutting back on the sugar Eric, you wont regret it. I quit a few years ago now (I have the odd ‘cheat day’ but I’ve generally strict with it). Feel much better for it. I’m finally able to control my weight on low/no sugar.

Lots of great advice from everyone here. Couple of tips from me. Try stevia. It’s a natural sweetener, really good and you can get lots of different types and flavours (I like the vanilla one). I mix it with greek yogurt and blueberries as a sweet treat. It’s a good idea to have a look at your macros aswell. Just to make sure you have a good balance once you remove all those extra carb calories. And a book recommendation, The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes, it helped change my attitude towards sugar for sure.

Best of luck with this mate :+1:

2 Likes

Hey Eric, happy you posted here. I’m also addressing my eating habits and learning that it’s definitely a process. Have you heard of the Yonana machine? My friends balked when I mentioned it telling me just to use my blender but…I think it’s totally different! I basically freeze a couple bananas and then take a bag of frozen fruit (I did cherries this week). Then I add alternating (with a little cinnamon) and it comes out the consistency of soft serve!!! I put my into the freezer for about an hour if I think ahead and it ends up the most amazing Nice Cream that is ONLY made from fruit.

Now…that being said…my body needs to be particularly aware of sugar, even fruit sugar. And my addict brain WILL start to want two, three, eight servings if I’m not mindful in my eating…

But as someone who does better avoiding ANY dairy AND added sugar…this has been a game changer!

5 Likes

This thread is keeps on bringing it! The salad dressing I have only has one gram of sugar. Girard’s Champagne Vinaigrette. That being said, I’m just going to start making my own. It’s really not that hard. Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

4 Likes

Thanks for this. I’ll book mark it and watch it while I’m convalescing on the deck this afternoon :upside_down_face:
And thanks for weighing in. Again. No pun intended. :joy:
Appreciate your input.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Hailstrom. I appreciate it. I’ll definitely check out the book. There’s so much out there to choose from especially on line. It’s nice to have a recommendation from someone who has experience with this sort of thing.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Thanks Ely.
Bananas and cherries sound great :+1:

I use my Vitamix blender and get my Daily Harvest pre chopped, frozen, no added sugar smoothies delivered to the house. I usually just add coconut water and blend and voila instant no hassle smoothie. I think it’s worth the price.

2 Likes

Just wanted to pop in on this thread and say I’m following @Dazercat! I’ve been doing no added sugar/no sweets for a while now. I will have the occasional cheat day like some others have mentioned, but I’d say about 90% of the week I stick to it.

Glad we have a good thread going now!

2 Likes

I just remembered that last time I was doing this unsweetened apple sauce was my friend. It was the perfect desert for me and just sweet enough to fill that void.

1 Like

And you’re feeling better without the added sugar I assume?

I was wondering about cheat days and my/our addictive brains.
@Hailstrom
Right now I feel ODAAT like quitting booze is the way to go. Because I was honestly freaking myself out thinking I cannot have any desserts anymore. As you know I like fancy restaurants etc… So I guess that has worked for you guys. A cheat day.
I reckon get a couple of months under my belt ODAAT and then maybe………
I don’t know. I also feel if I don’t have it in the house then I’m good. And maybe some day down the road a cheesecake at a nice restaurant on a special occasion wouldn’t be bad. And I guess if it gives me strong cravings then I go back to ODAAT and stay off it.

3 Likes

Cool. Because that’s really where the trouble is for me. After meal time. I’ll check my local Sprouts and Whole Foods and see what they got.

But I’m also afraid of the “Gimme What I Want!” Addict brain talking to me. That’s why I am afraid to do non alcoholic beers. But I reckon a little applesauce treat with no other desserts in the house isn’t going to hurt.

3 Likes

Thanks everybody for your outpouring of support.

:pray:t2::heart::pray:t2::heart::pray:t2::heart::pray:t2::heart:

9 Likes

I think you will be fine and I think your sweet tooth will appreciate it. Mine sure does hahahha

2 Likes

I am! It’s been a while now that I’ve stayed away from sweets and soda etc. so I’m kind of used to it at this point.

I definitely notice that when I do have something sugary like a big cookie or a desert if we go out somewhere, I feel like crap later that night or the next day. I’m also a lot less jittery and anxious but I’m not sure how much of that is just sobriety in general lol

2 Likes

No need to sugar coat your intentions. :laughing:

3 Likes

Flight has been delayed 5 hours for a maintenance issue, which I am glad they caught b4 we were in the air…so I switched to another flight at the same time. Woohoo 7 hours hanging out in CLT…not too busy tho and they have some good salads with oil and also some NSA pickles and cheeses…so I am good. Plus I brought a huge bag of nuts.

Hope your day is sweet with fruit!

1 Like

Just having my cherry banana blueberry raspberry smoothie now. :yum:

5 Hours :grimacing:

What a bummer. 3 of my 4 flights were delayed last week. But not 5 hours worth. Good thing we’re sober. Not much you can do.
Flying really sucks these days.
Bless your heart.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like