Non-spiritual 12 steps

So I said I would post this a while ago but for all the people who don’t do spiritually here’s how AA can still work for you.

33 Likes

I like that better than the expletive filled Russell Brand version of the steps. Thanks.

4 Likes

Lol I love this!

1 Like

This is fantastic! Do you mind if I put it in my toolbox to help others when the opportunity arises?

3 Likes

By all means share away. However, I would always suggest getting a sponsor to anyone who is going to work the steps.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting! Ive been feeling quietly confused about what the steps meant

This is just one drunk’s interpretation of them. It’s funny, even after over a year in the program, that if I didn’t have a sponsor I wouldn’t know what I was doing…

1 Like

What I wish I had was, not a sponsor, but a trusted friend who had been through the steps and had nothing better to do with his time than to hang out with me and talk about recovery.

I feel like it would be a waste of a sponsor’s time to work with me given my reticence. There are others who are more willing to make that commitment who would be more worthy of the investment of time.

Still, I am genuinely curious about a lot of aspects of the 12-Step approach. I’m reading about it as much as I can. I would see the value in being able to see it through the eyes of someone who had already walked the road.

I’m currently working on 10 and 11 so I am getting close. What you are looking for sounds a lot like my sponsor. We had actually been friends for a little while when I decided to ask him to take me through the big book. Sponsor’s come in all shapes and sizes. For me a sponsor is there to take me through the steps. I got to him as a friend in AA with other stuff, but when it comes to the sponsorship side we read the book and I do the work. As a result we have both stayed sober.

How do you build the trust necessary to be completely open with a sponsor?

I’ve been in therapy for years, so I am used to situations where there are actual legal protections in place to protect confidentiality.

There are things in my past that I would be extremely reluctant to share with anyone who could be compelled to testify against me by a subpoena. Just, you know, hypothetically speaking. Lol

That’s a lot of “what ifs” going on. I will say that most people in AA probably have some crimes for which the statute of limitations has not run out on. I know I do. I have yet to hear of a case where a sponsor was called to testify against a sponsee.

Interestingly, a quick Google search yielded an article about a shield law in Washington State that protects sponsors from being compelled to testify.

I knew I should have stayed in Seattle.

2 Likes

I did not know that. Interesting. Just remember you can always do your 5th step with a clergyman or therapist if you still want the legal protections. In the book it’s actually suggested to do it with your spiritual adviser if you are practicing a religion.

2 Likes

Zombie thread

Zombie thread again. Gaaarrrghh

I feel like I needed all 12 steps for my recovery. I have a few old timers in my home group with 40+ years of sobriety who “don’t do that God shit”. They still come to the regular meetings though.

2 Likes

This feels somehow appropriate in this thread :thinking: :innocent: Saw this today at my SA meeting, laughed out loud :joy:

2 Likes

Really sticks the landing with step 12 there, lol.

1 Like

It’s kind of an “if we took 12 steps and made it exactly the opposite” what we would get :thinking: :innocent:

What was funny is my addiction prior to my recovery work was just about 25 years and what is described in these “steps” is exactly what I got :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes