Truth and tough love

I relate to this a lot. Recently I feel like I’m repressing old emotions, and that ends up with me losing control of myself. I look back and I remember these emotions and feelings from when I was really young, as in six or seven years old. I don’t know if I can change those things about myself, and if it’s just part of who I am.

I have no problem with lists. Just make sure to add recovery to it and not just distractions

5 Likes

My wife gives me shit all the time because I make lists for everything.

3 Likes

You should see my office. I keep multiple lists for multiple things. But it also keeps me organized

Sounds perfect to me!! I do the same at work too.

Yeah, I’ve seen your list.

It’s just crazy enough to work.

1 Like

I get the opposite Jase, I get moaned at because I don’t! :joy:

Replacing addiction with a relationship in early sobriety is not a great idea. If you are barely sober how exactly do you plan on being in a new relationship?

2 Likes

Working with an existing relationship in sobriety is hard enough I’ve found.
Let alone starting a new one!
I’m still working on finding out who I am let alone getting to know someone new. With all their baggage
That stuffs heavy enough with a woman I’ve known for 30 years nearly.

6 Likes

Tell me about, sometimes I think the wife and were better together as drunks than as sober people, we’ve never not drank together. But we’re still working on it.

6 Likes

I will say that even with Shay and I early on had some trials and tribulations. Thankfully we could apply the principle of AA to our problems. Took time though. We both had over a year sober before we became stable

I here ya. We’ve always drunk together. Drugged together.
I don’t know where she is on drinking these days. I think she is doing when we go out only. She not drunk at home for a month or so. We had a bit of a situation that I think opened her eyes to herself.
But hey here’s to the future!

2 Likes

Man we’ve been together for almost 11 years, lil different lol especially when the wreckage of our past includes mostly all of each other

3 Likes

Kava is just another “miracle cure” that will give you liver disease.

5 Likes

I just want to tell you all how much I appreciate this thread!

I logged out of this forum about 6 months ago because all these posts saying that “relapsing is part of the process” and all that started to get to me (and I hate social media). I started to think if a relapse is “normal” and happens to everybody why should I be any different? Fortunately I realised how dangerous those thoughts are, logged out and focused on my sobriety.

I just started to read some stuff on here a few weeks ago and this is my new favorite thread!
Like it’s been said here many times, I’m ready to do whatever it takes to stay sober, that’s why I can say that today is day 340 of my new life!
Keep the truth coming! In my opinion we all need to heart it, especially the stuff that hurts!

23 Likes

Nice to hear back from you, @Heidi. Congratulations on the 340 days!

1 Like

That’s great news Heidi. I know what you mean about the things that are said about relapse.
It happened a few months ago, maybe the same time you logged off but I was still in my early days and I started thinking well if they are all doing it why can’t I?!
Good to see you back!

5 Likes

Hi @Heidi…I’m so glad you’ve returned to the forum.

I know what you mean about “relapse is a part of recovery”. UGH. I honestly would think “well if everyone relapses then it’s okay”. Such a dangerous statement. But I totally understand the meaning behind it. They are showing compassion and empathy for the person who is feeling guilty for the their relapse. I think we just need to find a better phrase to convey that message so that we don’t send a mixed message to all the newcomers.

8 Likes

Years ago, I was chatting with a fellow Marine, who thought me crazy for choosing to go to combat swimmer school, rather than jump school. I told him that I’d rather trust my life to the strength of my arms and legs, rather than a piece of cloth packed by someone who might be having a bad day.

He said “I have almost 100 jumps. Never had a bad one”. I responded with “It only takes one, and the more you do it, the greater your chances of having one.”

This kinda sums up my thoughts on relapse: every time you have one, it might be the one you don’t recover from. It might be the one where you decide you’ve fallen far enough, pull the handle, and nothing happens. It’s like jumping put of a plane. Maybe you land softly, or maybe you burn in.

It’s not the fall that kills you. It’s the sudden stop at the end. At least that’s the way I see it. Everyone is free to disagree. Me? I ain’t jumping anymore.

17 Likes

Just like train dodging!

1 Like