Pandemic Sobriety Strategies

Hey all,
I’m super new here and trying to figure out how this works. I’ve been really struggling with my sobriety in the pandemic. So many days at home, with no real big things to look forward to because the future is so unpredictable.

How do you cope/ what do you do when you’re home alone and all you can think about is using?

7 Likes

Welcome Hannah!

I struggled a lot during lockdown and found meetings online very helpful. I didn’t share a lot but just listening to others helped me. I spent a lot of time on this forum too.

I was working remotely and it was taking a toll on my mental health. As soon as I got the green light to return to the office, I jumped at it. I needed to get out of the house and out of my own head. The same with meetings. As soon as in person meetings started to open up, I was there. I’ve been going out with some of the ladies, after meetings, and it’s been really nice being around people again. It’s a relief to have more places opening up in my area to be able to get out and do things again.

9 Likes

Welcome Hannah,
This has been a great community for me for support. I think this terrible pandemic has helped me stay sober. Not going out and all etc….
I spend probably too much time on this app getting and giving support. Dropping memes, gratitude, pets pics, nature pics. Made quite a few good friends. Have a good read around. Join in when you’re comfortable.
Here are two good threads to start:

I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart:

7 Likes

As @Dazercat mentioned, getting involved in this community can be a great way to connect with people.

I would suggest thinking of fun things to do with your hands, to start. I know puzzles became very popular, but you could really do anything from playing with Legos to video games to online activities. You might be able to find groups online who play Jackbox games, which can be very fun.

But, things that you do by yourself, you can accompany that with tv, audio books, etc. This way your hands are busy and so is your mind. If you can find something to really get into and focus your attention on, that will help.

If you’re used to going out a lot, this may seem really mundain, but it’s something. If you’re inside a lot, I would recommend body exercises every day. This will help release good endorphins in the mind.

Eventually the urge to use will pass. In the beginning, you’re just looking for it to pass for that moment, then for an hour, then the day, and eventually you realize you haven’t even thought about it in a while. It’s all about training the brain and body to expect something else.

Best of luck to you.

7 Likes

That was always a issue with me was being bored and down time… I mean I’m not sure what your drug of choice is. But my best advice would be just find something that’s a good influence to you and u can be honest with and have a good conversation with… working out has grown on me to it took me a wile to actually start doing it but once you start you feel great and start to love it more. Gardening is a big hobby of mine to I mean I know it’s late in the year but maybe in the future that could be something you look into. Keep pushing tho only good things will come it just takes some time!

6 Likes

This is so very helpful! Thank you!

2 Likes

The pandemic is very frustrating and the unpredictability of it is scary. The future is uncertain.

It always has been. Before the pandemic, world war three was looking like it could happen.
Before that there has always been something looming in the world that is uncertain.

If I keep drinking, alcoholic misery and alcoholic death becomes very predictable and certain.

2020 will go down in history as the worst year ever for many. There were plenty of things that sucked.

I stayed sober and was able to fix some of my biggest mental challenges about recovery. I was able to fix my biggest issues preventing me from serenity. I was able to find comfort in my own skin.

All of these things happened because I quit drinking. As hard as it was, 2020 was a pretty good year for me. I could have checked out and stayed drunk, but I didn’t. It was worth it!

8 Likes