People in Recovery and Plants! (Part 2)

Do you put it inside in the winter?

2 Likes

I bought it this spring. But itā€™s supposed to be winterhard (if thatā€™s English) so not planning to.

3 Likes

Yea have a few in my front garden my group 1 Montana is spreading like wild fire its flowered ,my group2 rouge is coming on and group3 Arabela will be flowering late july hopefully or Aug

2 Likes

The slugs keep eating all mines sure there will be nothing left in a few weeks :joy::sunflower:

1 Like

I use traps with beer or copper tape slugs hate copper (you shall not Pass as Gandof says lol )

3 Likes

IL have to look into this :+1:
Thank you

1 Like

My snake plant is having triplets!!!

13 Likes

Help! My monstera has started sprouting about seven aerial roots, some of them are almost as long as my arm. Iā€™ve never seen this rapid growth of roots in the two or three years Iā€™ve had it. It seems to be going wild now. I feel like itā€™s trying to escape.

Thereā€™s a moss pole there, but for one the plant is now way taller than it, and secondly itā€™s growing so strong that itā€™s pushing the pole sideways. I donā€™t believe itā€™s doing a thing now, and I also donā€™t understand why the roots are not attaching themselves to the pole, which I was told they would do.

The whole plant is like spreading out everywhere and Iā€™d like to get the situation under control. Any experienced monster monstera peeps out there?

10 Likes

I think this happy fellow is looking for a bigger pot, more dirt or possibly world domination.

8 Likes

I got around to repotting my agave plants. Looks like we have several more babies on the way! :star_struck::bangbang: Quite the successful summer! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::potted_plant:

10 Likes

@TMAC hows the greenhouse occupants since the storm?

4 Likes

I too have wondered how the greenhouse is doing. I feel like we havenā€™t seen pictures since the work trip. T takes such beautiful pictures. I always enjoy them

4 Likes

@tmac you good T?

4 Likes

I was wondering where @TMAC is as wellā€¦. :cactus::cactus::cactus:

4 Likes

Hi Merry,
I own a Monstera and love those big green leaves of them! Always a surprise how the new leaves turn out :green_heart:
Those roots you talk about are air roots. They use it to get moisure out of the air. But when you lead them to the ground they become ā€œnormalā€ roots as well.

You can see this at my second picture

It gives the plant also more stability this way.
And like @TrustyBird mentioned I think your monstera would love to have a repot :hugs:

13 Likes

@Cjp @Runningfree @Tragicfarinelli

Wish there was something to say! Thereā€™s really been nothing happening out there. I also was in the mental darkness for a while and I wasnā€™t spending any time out there aside from doing what I had to keep them alive. Losing that interest was a big red flag and in part triggered my recent voluntary disconnect from the outside world so I could focus on what I needed to focus on.

I have had death, though. Brain cactus, croaked. Thankfully a cheap plant but still lame.

I also noticed my pachypodium brevicaule was going squishy, shrinking, and leaves dying faster than they should. You might remember that one as the spiky ginger root. I didnā€™t want to disrupt the arrangement I had made since it was a favorite, but had to try and save itā€¦it was not a cheap plant.

Fucking mealy bugs in the roots. Bastards. I water in a systemic pesticide so no idea how they were living. It seems to be firming up a bit so I may have narrowly saved it. Usually by the time the plant starts showing symptoms of root mealies, youā€™re too late. So it will live in this pot until itā€™s healthy enough to be put back in arrangement.

All that said - if I can get through summer with only losing 1 or 2 plants, thats pretty damn good.

I am also putting together a project for the structure itself. The panels have gone awfully brittle, particularly the south-facing roof panels. A little annoyed with myself for not anticipating this and using a different material. Planning to remove the panels and replace with a polyethylene wrap, which is like the white tarp material you see on commercial greenhouses. Maybe just the roof to start. Brainstorming how to best attach it to the frame.

Thatā€™s all I have!

8 Likes

Wanted to expand on this.

I love my plants. But part of me wants to just fold on the greenhouse, keep a handful of plants that can live outside, and sell the rest.

Itā€™s just a constant source of concern. Cooling it. Making sure I close it up if a monsoon comes, meaning no going away on trips in summer. Checking the evap. Using a fuckton of water and electricity.

And speaking of brittle panels etc - we just had some strong gusts of wind, which got under one of the windows and snapped it clean off the frame. Not just the panel, whole window - frame and all. So now thereā€™s a hole in the roof and Iā€™ve no idea how to secure it. I canā€™t even reach the top part.

I was stretched and somewhat mentally relaxed for the first time in over a week or 2, and just as I was about to lie down I had to go out there up on the ladder. Now Iā€™m back to tight and stressed. I feel like I live tight and stressed.

Itā€™s a full-time responsibility and I think Iā€™m feeling less and less inclined to keep doing it.

8 Likes

I get you T. Iā€™ve (had to) let go of too many mini projects/obsessions that seemed to fulfil something in me as I was doing it. Iā€™m highly likely to have ADHD from online tests, though Iā€™m not formally tested. My brain loves order and process, yet becomes incredibly annoyed around the same order and process sometimes. Itā€™s like a snow globe in there.

My pattern would be to start an interest. Research the interest, collect and invest, research more and find more, collect and invest, maintainā€¦ Get a bit distracted and less enthusiastic about itā€¦ Then fold on it. Resent it and the space and time it takes.

For example:

I remembered I liked painting so I got an easel, books, paints, paperā€¦ Took up a load of space in my two bedā€¦ Itā€™s still all packed away. When I did set myself up to paint I had zero idea what to paint so just got drunk instead and made some arty splashes across the canvas.

Started getting a tonne of self burping jars and fermenting equipment and books on ancient ferments andā€¦ Got kefir grains and strains of SCOBY and brewed tea for it and got the fruit sugarsā€¦ It almost drove me batshit having these jars of mould that needed constant care every day and trying to keep them alive.

I Enjoy board games and so went deep into ownership of the games and getting the expansions and then similar games and franchise piecesā€¦ My partner really only indulges me occasionally on these games, we really donā€™t play often at all. I have a kallax full of them and love them dearly but Iā€™ve wondered whether to sell themā€¦
My new realisation is that connection and sharing a passion or hobby is the ideal way to indulge in something thatā€™s pleasurable and that you enjoy.

I am now part of BGA, board game arena, and get to play almost all the games on my shelf with people around the world in real time and through the site. These people love games and itā€™s fun and wholesome (on the most partā€¦ Some stroppy guy told me the other day he wanted to squash British potatoes and that I was a potato) . You canā€™t win them all I guessā€¦ I could also join a gaming group and share my games at games night. I still might sell them and enjoy the space it frees up.

The gymā€¦ Classes specifically. I have a load of exercise stuff at home like TREX, bands and weights etc, but honestly getting to the gym and doing a full class with real people has got me hooked and happy. We sweat together and laugh about it. Connection wins and gives me joy.

I guess what Iā€™m trying to say T is that you have a brilliant passion and a super amazing skill and drive around these beautiful plants, but maybe you are rightā€¦ Perhaps you are at the top of all the dopamine hill of collecting them and caring for them, and now you are fatigued by the reality of how big this job has gotten and holds you static. I get it and I think I would be thinking the same.

You can go in any direction you wantā€¦ Donā€™t let ā€˜thingsā€™ hold you back. Be honest about what you want, Reframe. Maybe do free yourself upā€¦ Get out there with the pups on road trips. Maybe you could join some horticultural society or botanical garden to keep the grey matter happy around it.

Just my two cents. I try and see a passion now and force myself to bring that into a community setting rather than trying to ā€˜ownā€™ it myself. I always thought I wanted a fully fitted home gymā€¦ No way man, get sweaty and happy in that low cost environment with all those other people also trying their best. Do what joins you with folk, not what keeps you isolated.

Sorry for my massive rant. Iā€™ve just noticed that this isnā€™t on your TMAC thread, so Iā€™m sorry to all of those people who came here to see plants :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

6 Likes

Coleus got new leafs . my W

ifes Dragon tree getting big again

11 Likes

Love that coleus :heart:

1 Like