Physical Exercise

Damn! Thats impressive! Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Awesome @Allicat388!

1 Like

does anybody else just scroll through this thread and just feel like shit?? Im a glutton for punishment. FML. I have little to no energy, motivation, or desire whatsoever. Where the hell do you all find such things?

3 Likes

@Rosey a nutritionist once told me it takes energy to make energy, if that makes sense. I have 3 kids under 6, including a 5 month old so I REALLY need to push myself some days to work out. There are many times I would rather just watch Netflix but once I actually start the workout I feel so much better. I find I’m in a way better mood these days too. But I did find I also needed to change my eating habits and become super mindful of what I was putting in my body. I think it’s cyclical- exercise and eating healthy= better sleep and then I have more energy to work out!! At least that’s my thought! Also i am very motivated to fit back into my pre baby wardrobe so I don’t have to buy new stuff!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Thank you!!! :blush:

Totally agree! You absolutely have to burn energy to make energy! Our bodies will do exactly what we ask of them. If we don’t ask anything beyond our norm, then that’s all our body will deliver. No marathon runner ever set out and conquered 26 miles the first time they ran…the more I get involved in the trail running culture, the more I am amazed at what the human body is truly capable of accomplishing when put to the test. I just read a post on IG tonight from a triathlete who just completed her first 50mile trail run…there are an abundance of these ultra marathons popping up all over the place now. Check out the Moab 240 Endurance Run…it’s 238.5 miles of trail running!!! I guess the point of my rambling is if we don’t push ourselves when we don’t feel like training, then our bodies won’t need to deliver anything beyond what we normally expect. But if we challenge our minds and muscles by going beyond what we feel comfortable doing, then guess what, we will get better…we will run further, we will lift heavier and we will be faster than we were before. Pretty cool how that works. @Rosey if you don’t feel like running or going to the gym…that’s precisely what you SHOULD do…you will be happy u did and I promise your energy will increase.

3 Likes

Start small just to get started. I’m only 7 days in but started with planking using an app to time and track. I’m already so much stronger after 1 week. It’s only a 3 min workout but it’s motivating me to do more.

2 Likes

So true, energy is never created or destroyed, it simply converts from one form to another. Exercise burns energy but also creates so much potential energy stores.

Done my weights and core this morning, it’s cold here but contemplating a 5km run later.

3 Likes

You just find it. I wish I had a better answer than that but start slowly and work your way up. I wake up around 6:30 every morning, commute an hour to the city for work, work 8 hours, commute another hour back home, arrive home at 6 PM. And as part of my new routine, I change immediately once I’m home and get on my elliptical. If I don’t do it as soon as I walk in the door I won’t do it. Period. Old me would pour a drink as soon as I walked in the door so this has been a nice replacement even after an extremely long day :slight_smile: You can do it! The amount of energy I have now is crazy and I’m only a week in.

3 Likes

Is there anyone doing an exercise accountability group of some sort? Motivation, etc? I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew, and sobriety is #1, but I need to feel better and I know exercise will help this. What do you guys use to motivate exercise?

2 Likes

My back pain motivates me. LOL. When I don’t do my stretches and exercise my back acts up again. But mind you my exercise is not exactly high intensity. I’m just core exercises and yoga. When I DID do high intensity stuff it was the adrenaline that motivated me. The challenge to see what I could get my body to do. And making friends in the class was great too…we all wanted to get to class to be together.

3 Likes

Ahh yes seeing what the body can do is a GREAT motivating factor! I was doing PiYo (pilates/yoga) at home for a while with amazing results. I plan to start that again very soon! :slight_smile: The reminder of how awesome I felt doing that is the perfect motivation for me to get back there.

3 Likes

:raised_hands:t2:“You just find it” totally sums it up…it’s like anything else we make time for in our lives…if it’s important, we make time for it, if it’s not, we make excuses.

“I can’t”
“I’m not ready”
“I don’t have time”
“I would, but…[fill in the blank]”

None of these excuses get us toward our goals. There’s a reason one of the trademarked core concepts of Nike brand is “just do it” because it really is that simple, and that’s the attitude we need to have about fitness. It supposedly takes 66 days to form a new habit - frequency and consistency are key. No different than sobriety…it is really difficult to make it through the first couple weeks, then you start reprogramming your body and mind and after a while, you go nuts if you AREN’T in the gym or working out. Dream big, start small and stay consistent! :muscle:t2::facepunch:t2:

5 Likes

Check in here often, there’s also a running thread on the forum. I use Instagram feeds from athletes and healthy people to motivate me as well. I’m a bit of a self motivator though - training for races and working out are just part of my DNA - sobriety is just one component of my life…while at the beginning it was all consuming, it is just a factor in my overall health now. I have realized midway through life that my fitness aspirations and athletic endeavors were being held back by drinking. I wish I had figured it out earlier, but no looking back, only forward. I think the biggest motivator is personal growth, the great thing about fitness is you get constant feedback and see results on a daily basis.

1 Like

Ok, after just sneaking around my sports stuff for days I finally began today with a HIIT beginner workout. In the past (in active addiction) I often started but failed after a few days because there always was a bodypart that hurt :rofl:
And instead of taking the bus in the morning I’ll walk again. That’s 40 minutes / day.
Hopefully I can move my legs tomorrow :joy:

5 Likes

Gym tonight after a long day, felt tiredness and thought about skipping it but pushed through it. Dinner a bit of reading for work and an early night. I love knowing I’ll sleep well :sleeping:

6 Likes

@Spartan_Chris in your opinion is it better to eat before or after a workout? I feel like I’m having trouble timing this. Just before I leave work I’m slightly hungry but once I get home I don’t want to eat because then it’s kinda like bleh, if I work out. And if I work out first, it’s sometimes a struggle to cook a good meal afterward. The other night I didn’t eat until almost 8 PM :\

1 Like

I’m not him, but I eat a little about 1hr 30mins before, usually a banana and porridge, pasta or baked potatoes with a healthy filling depending on the time of day, then I’ll have another more substantial meal about an hour or so after with protein and find my metabolism has greatly improved, as has my overall physique. Been doing this for about 8 of the last 9 months.

On rest days I usually just have 3 balanced meals and I am able to allow myself the occasional sweet treat as a result of the disciplined routines.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in people’s views on protein supplements. I’ve never used them but considering it to improve muscle mass.

Haha no worries I appreciate the response! My days are super long so I’m trying to plan better while not eating readily available crap. The weekends I’m good but during the week can be tough.