Problems with app after UI update on Samsung A33

I fixed a few small issues on iPhone too. I think that one was different than this one though. Glad to see yours is better!

4 Likes

After some more research, Iā€™ve found a discussion where other mobile developers are having the exact same issue.

Itā€™s a bug in Samsungā€™s Android 14 version, which makes sense. The community pageā€™s code in Sober Time has not been updated, but the issue started appearing.

For now, itā€™s Samsungā€™s ā€œfaultā€, but Iā€™ll try to find a workaround.

6 Likes

Samsung is updating its UI like crazy. First, I thought it would be a good thing, but with every update, I lose more functions that I need and get functions I would never use.:man_shrugging:t3:

Thank you for taking care of it! Much appreciated!

4 Likes

Okay!

I managed to implement a workaround, so the issue is resolved for now. I will try to publish this update tomorrow. There are a few other small issues I want to include in the update and I want to make sure everything is working well.

Basically:

• This only happens on Samsung devices running Android 14
  • I was unable to reproduce it for the longest time, because I switched my Android device to Google Pixel a while ago. Development tools are just pure Android, not Samsungā€™s implementation of Android (One UI)
  • I tested this on a real Samsung device to replicate it
  • Displaying web resources in Android uses Androidā€™s underlying web browser technology
  • Samsungā€™s new version destroys this web browser when you switch to a different app
  • Not sure if this is intentional or a bug. They might do it in an attempt to clean up resources on the device to make it seem more responsive

The workaround will reload your current page when you switch back to Sober Time. Youā€™ll see the loading animation briefly.

Thank you to everyone who helped with reports, questions and information. I appreciate it.

8 Likes

At this point Iā€™ve gotten so used to having to close/reopen the app each time I donā€™t even think twice about it, but I do hope it all works out in the end. Thank you for working so hard on this issue, and everything else you do to keep our community up and running :grin:

1 Like

Wow! Im excited to get the workaround because im bouncing back and forth between apps. @Robin i truly appreciate your attention to this. Thanks for all you do!

2 Likes

The new version is now live on both stores. Check it out and let me know if itā€™s better.

2 Likes

I downloaded the update and the workaround seems to work. The app automatically reloads. Thanks

2 Likes

Yay! Itā€™s working. Thank you @Robin!

1 Like

Reload works. Thanks for the workaround @Robin

1 Like

It works! Thank you so much!

1 Like

@Robin now those on Android canā€™t upload pics. Iā€™ve seen multiple people post about it on other threads.
Did this work around affect uploads?

2 Likes

Yes, this just happened to me. I was able to last night just fine but I just tried in the meme thread and couldnā€™t. I opened a reply box. It let me go into my photos and choose one but when I clicked it, it showed the loading screen and then my box was gone :frowning:

2 Likes

Hmm this is likely a side effect of the workaround, since youā€™re switching out of the app and back into it. Iā€™ll fix it in the next update.

3 Likes

Seems like a lot of folks that are having this issue have Androids, and sure enough, thatā€™s what I have too. Kinda sheds some light on things.

1 Like

Not Androids in general, just Samsung devices. But itā€™s a very specific thing.

4 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s what I have: a Samsung phone.

2 Likes

Okay, I managed to fix it so that it doesnā€™t end up on the white screen and it still works with uploads. As an added bonus: you wonā€™t have to sit through the reload animation anymore either.

Samsung apparently is releasing an official fix for this by the end of March, but we canā€™t wait that long.

Iā€™ll release the update in the next day. Thanks again!

8 Likes

You rock @Robin

2 Likes

I sent the update to Google Play for review. It should be available to everyone soon.

4 Likes