Recovery Quote of the Day

Have a good day Mr Ed, thanks for all you’ve done and still do :+1:

1 Like

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: "How truth makes us free is something that we A.A.'s can well understand. It cut the shackles that once bound us to alcohol. It continues to release us from conflicts and miseries beyond reckoning; it banishes fear and isolation. The unity of our Fellowship, the love we cherish for each other, the esteem in which the world holds us—all of these are products of the truth which, under God, we have been privileged to perceive."
As Bill Sees It, Truth, the Liberator, p. 70

I distinctly remember a speaker in early sobriety that blew me away with her honesty. She was a strikingly beautiful woman that came from an upper socioeconomic background. She shared how her disease ultimately took her to street prostitution. She was very graphic with her description of how bad it became. As she was telling her story, I couldn’t help but think, “How in the world is she able to be so honest!” As I was listening to her, my eyes welled up, and a tear dripped slowly down my face. At that time, I was so far from the truth, I had no idea who I really was. I had lied so much about my dysfunctional past that I started believing my own lies. My deception haunted me. Mark Twain once said, “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” I wanted to be honest, but I had no idea how. Thankfully, the program taught me how to be honest and to find my truths. At every meeting, Chapter 5 is read, and “honesty” is mentioned three times in the first paragraph. Honesty is also the principle of the 1st step and a foundation of our recovery. It was clear that if I wanted sobriety, I would have to get honest with myself and others. In the pursuit of finding my truths, I found myself. I didn’t like what I found at first, but by taking the steps and diving into the program, I was able to shed life’s baggage. I am so grateful that the program allowed me to find the freedom of honesty. Today, I can share my truths and honesty, and hopefully, some newcomers will be inspired to find their truths too. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: "We habitually erect a barrier called blame that keeps us from communicating genuinely with others, and we fortify it with our concepts of who’s right and who’s wrong. We do that with the people who are closest to us and we do it with political systems, with all kinds of things that we don’t like about our associates or our society. It is a very common, ancient, well-perfected device for trying to feel better. Blame others. Blaming is a way to protect your heart, trying to protect what is soft and open and tender in yourself. Rather than own that pain, we scramble to find some comfortable ground."
~Pema Chodron~

There are three languages an alcoholic must avoid: “victimese,” “denyish,” and “blamen.” You taught me that I’m only a failure if I blame someone else. Admitting our faults was a painful and drawn out process that took complete commitment and willingness. The thought of looking honestly at myself was a completely foreign concept, and I would have rather put a pencil in my eye. Those already in the program for some time seemed content, so I trusted you and the process. A strange thing happened when I began admitting fault rather than blaming others; I didn’t lose credibility, but instead, I actually gained your respect. It was an amazing freedom to be human and fallible. It did not take long for me to come to the realization that by letting my insecurities dictate my actions, like blaming others for my mistakes or discomfort, I would always be a prisoner of my own guilt and shame. By admitting mistakes, I was able to walk with a new brand of dignity, one that covered me with honesty like a warm blanket on a cold night. I am quite certain that if not for the program, I would have never found the freedom of truly being honest with myself and others. It was relentless and unbearable work trying to be right all the time, so today I am so thankful to just be “me,” faults and all. :two_hearts:

6 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: "When the shadows of my past were placed in the light, I was thankful for the ‘design for living’ that the Twelve Steps provide. It helps me to handle the shock of who I was, who I am today, and who I want to be".
Blythe, Calif., June 2005, From: “The Value of Life”, Emotional Sobriety: The Next Frontier

One of life’s biggest mysteries is to find whom you really are; the second is to find peace with what you find. Thank God for the program, for it gives us a beautiful design for living. We learn to look at life through a prism of hope, acceptance, gratitude, and spirituality rather than one filled with resentment, fear, anger, self doubt, and all other characteristics that trap us in unhappiness. As we stay sober, we learn that we can apply the principles of the program to every aspect of our lives. Taking the twelve steps releases us of the bondage of our disease, but it can do so much more. We can apply the principles to relationships, career, parenting, and virtually everything of meaning to us. One of the best gifts in this new design for living is the knowledge that “self” is the basis of all my discomfort, and the answer is to simply reach out to help another. I came to the program to stop the obsession of drinking, and this miracle came to fruition, but I ended up finding out that I could reshape my entire life from the miserable person I had become. As I look back on my life, I see that there is very little left of whom I was when I first got sober. Today, I find great comfort in giving myself to others and ensuring that my “design for living” revolves around care, kindness and compassion. :two_hearts:

5 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY; "From the beginning, communication in AA has been no ordinary transmission of helpful ideas and attitudes. It has been unusual and sometimes unique. Because of our suffering, and because our common means of deliverance are effective for ourselves only when constantly carried to others, our channels of contact have always been charged with the language of the heart."
The Language of the Heart, p. 243

There is an instant bond and trust built in our fellowship through a common history of pain and suffering. We can hear and apply concepts that we used to reject outright out of obstinacy. I found myself openly taking direction where I used to instantly arch up. What is it that allows us to finally listen to what we need to hear? Quite simply, it is “the language of the heart” that flows through us as we speak in our shares and pitches. The language of the heart is that deep seated honesty that we share to help ourselves and others. We all experience the same difficulties in life in varying degrees, and our openness to expose our frailties touches our hearts and minds in a way we never felt outside the program. As I gained more time, I also came to believe that “the language of the heart” from others at meetings was God speaking through them. I think all of us can acknowledge that we heard something profound at a meeting that changed our life. I’m not sure that God has ever spoken through me, but sometimes I feel like it comes through my writing. There are many times I read back something I wrote, and I can’t help but think that inspiration came from something outside of me. So, language of the heart can take many forms of inspiration or intuitive thought that seems to surface when the message is needed. I truly love the program, and I genuinely love the program’s “language of the heart.” :two_hearts:

5 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: "He is the Father, and we are His children. Most good ideas are simple, and this concept was the keystone of the new and triumphant arch through which we passed to freedom."
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 62

Growing up Catholic, I would ritualistically go to mass and recite prayers from memory. For the most part, there was a positive spirit in church services and a palpable energy when the whole church sang or said prayers together. However, for me, the meaning of the words got lost in memorization and repetition. I would say the “Lord’s Prayer” with others, but I always felt uncomfortable holding the hands of complete strangers during this exercise that should have been one of personal reflection. Coming into the program, it was a relief that you would recite a prayer I knew at the end of most meetings, because I was clueless about most of what you were saying in “program language and double-speak.” But even then, the words had no particular moving effect on me. Then, at 5 years of sobriety, my daughter was born. For the first time in my life, I knew unconditional love. To this day, my children could do anything, and I would still love them. I might not like their behavior, but I would still love them unconditionally. It occurred to me that the first words of the Lord’s Prayer were, “Our Father…” That was an epiphany for me – I was his “child,” he was my “father,” and as my father, he loves me unconditionally. So now, when we say the Lord’s Prayer at meetings, I remind myself that the God of my understanding is all loving and forgiving. We are all children of God! If not for the openness the program gave me, I would not have had this life changing epiphany. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY; Remember the difference between a boss and a leader; a boss says ‘Go!’ - a leader says ‘Let’s go!’"
E.M. Kelly

One of the most lasting and effective philosophies of our program is that “we” do this together. In our twelve steps, there is no “I”, but more importantly, “we” is emphasized in six of the twelve steps. As I was hitting my last bottom, it was crystal clear that my way didn’t work. I was miserable and saw no way out of the living living hell that I had created. The message that this was a “we program” came loud and clear from the very first meeting. I’ve always enjoyed the Chuck C. statement that, “You can do this thing one of two ways; The hard way or the easy way. The hard way is to do it on your own, the easy way is to know you can’t." This philosophy was crucial to my sobriety, but it was also key to relationships with others and any success I had in my career. I was blessed to have risen to the pinnacle of my profession, but I only got there by being completely supportive to others in the organization. Like the program, I tried to create an atmosphere where failure was not fatal, and in so doing, innovation and creativity blossomed. You taught me to admit my faults when things went wrong, and to heap praise on others when things went right. When I retired, I was often asked, “What was your greatest achievement?” I would rattle off what they wanted to hear, usually something they had contributed, but in my mind, the answer was simply, “Getting sober and practicing these principles in all my affairs." :two_hearts:

5 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY; "Change is the characteristic of all growth. From drinking to sobriety, from dishonesty to honesty, from conflict to serenity, from hate to love, from childish independence to adult responsibility all this and infinitely more represent change for the better."
AA As Bill Sees It, Only God Is Unchanging, p. 76

Before the program, I was locked up in the prison of my own mind and jaded perspective of reality. My insecurities and stubbornness kept me from hearing any message of change, growth, or hope. Coming into the program, and shedding the baggage I had carried through life, opened me up to another world. The sound bites of the program would echo in my head, such as: If I don’t change, my sobriety date will, If nothing changes, nothing changes, Learn to change; change to learn, and my favorite, Only one thing changes everything. No one likes change. Change is uncomfortable, challenging and frustrating, but not changing is worse. None of us came into the program pure and clean, so it was clear to me that change was indispensable to my sobriety and new way of life. Becoming a new person took time, patience and overcoming so many of my fears. Incremental change occurred as time passed, but only as long as I stayed true to the program and myself. The foolish and the dead never change.To this day, I try to stay open to change and remaining teachable as much as possible; my life and happiness depend on it. :two_hearts:

6 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY; "If at these points our emotional disturbances happens to be great, we will more surely keep our balance provided we remember, and repeat to ourselves, a particular prayer or phrase that has appealed to us in our reading or meditation. Just saying it over and over will often enable us to clear a channel choked up with anger, fear, frustration, or misunderstanding, and permit us to return to the surest help of all-- our search for God’s will, not our own, in the moment of stress."
12 & 12, pp. 102-103

When I first go sober, I did not believe that God had anything to do with my daily life, other than to punish me for my sins. However, I did have the willingness to be open to whatever was going on that kept those in the program sober. My sponsor told me to pray every day for 90-days, and if my life didn’t get better, he would gladly refund my misery. Well, you know the outcome; my life got infinitely better, and I began to believe in a Higher Power that could help me live my life. My first “go to” prayer was the Serenity Prayer, which I would say to myself constantly. It was one of my early continual mantras that I said to battle the constant obsession to drink that haunted me. Taking the 3rd Step, and learning the 3rd Step prayer, was nothing short of enlightening. I soon added the 7th Step prayer to my daily routine. Prayer is a personal journey, and we all have to develop a routine that’s comfortable for us. For me, prayer has become an open dialogue with God throughout the day that always starts with a morning surrender. I have learned over time the power of prayer in finding peace and serenity. I make a habit of slowing them down to let each thought within the prayer marinate in my consciousness. To this day, I still get chills when I take the 3rd Step prayer with others, and this is a true gift of the program. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY; "All the faults of our mind – our selfishness, ignorance, anger, attachment, guilt, and other disturbing thoughts – are temporary, not permanent and everlasting. And since the cause of our suffering – our disturbing thoughts and observations – is temporary, our suffering is also temporary."
Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Ultimate Healing: The Power of Compassion

Everything has a beginning, middle and end. If we are in pain, we are in the middle, working toward the end. “This too shall pass,” is a well known phrase in our program that has brought so much comfort to so many of us. Everything comes to pass; nothing comes to stay. When we learn to accept life on life’s terms, we learn to embrace difficulties as opportunities to grow. Life always gives you a second chance; it’s called tomorrow. I learned in a management course that the Chinese symbol for crisis and opportunity are very similar, almost indistinguishable. In my life, this has played out in so many circumstances. What I thought was completely daunting or unbearable, usually turned out to be some opportunity or spiritual experience. It’s hard to tell a new person in the program that life challenges are a reality we need to accept, walk through, learn from, and to ultimately help others process something similar. In order to build that essential faith necessary for sustained contentment, we often need to experience these sober life occurrences for ourselves. No matter what happens in life, I now believe I have enough faith to walk through anything. Of course, there may be times that I’ll need my program family to help carry me down the trail a bit. We whine and grumble about the hurdles in our path, until we realize that those hurdles are the path. :two_hearts:

5 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Until you have learned to be tolerant with those who do not always agree with you; until you have cultivated the habit of saying some kind word of those whom you do not admire; until you have formed the habit of looking for the good instead of the bad there is in others, you will be neither successful nor happy."
Napoleon Hill

Our program teaches us that holding onto resentments for an alcoholic can be gravely fatal. It tells us that it will lead us to drinking, and to drink is to die.(page 66). In spite of this, we stubbornly hold onto resentments of others at the sake of our happiness or life itself. We do this for a myriad of reasons, which we justify and rationalize in our own minds. As we take the steps and gain more confidence in ourselves, the art of releasing resentments, such as seeing our part in it, comes more easily. We see that when we clear our resentments and try to see the good in others, we end up finding the best about ourselves. As we evolve, we see time and again that happiness and contentment are an inside job. I know I can only find true inner peace if I am at peace with others. If I am to be totally honest with myself, the unhappiest and most discontented periods in my sobriety were when I let resentments dominate me. I was miserable, and sadly, I let this negatively impact those around me too. In hindsight, I can laugh at myself and see that I had a serious part in those resentments, and usually, I let my character defects run wild. I am so glad you taught me to never put the keys to my happiness in someone else’s pocket. Every minute I spend angry I waste 60 seconds of happiness.Today, I know the choice is mine to either wallow in self-pity and resentment, or to live a free and loving life. :two_hearts:

6 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: "A.A. experience has taught us we cannot live alone with our pressing problems and the character defects which cause or aggravate them. If Step Four has revealed in stark relief those experiences we’d rather not remember, then the need to quit living by ourselves with those tormenting ghosts of yesterday gets more urgent than ever. We have to talk to somebody about them."
As Bill Sees It, We Cannot Live Alone, p. 83

Growing up Catholic, I was indoctrinated to think that by going to confession, I could gain a reprieve from my misgivings. I would say the “Our Father’s” and “Hail Mary’s” the priest would assign me to say, but I never felt any relief from the guilt I carried. Having lived a very dysfunctional and abusive childhood, coupled with early alcoholism, my life was one of torment, guilt, and shame. The baggage I was carrying was literally crushing me. I hated whom I was, and where I came from, and I compounded my guilt by creating different personas; I was living a double or triple life. Existence became unbearable, so it’s no wonder I drank the way I did. Then, I found AA and the 12 steps. As much as it was uncomfortable writing down my inventory and sharing it with another person, this simple exercise changed me forever. After my 5th step, I felt physically lighter. As I was walking back to my car, I felt like I was walking on air, which I now know was a deep spiritual experience. I now share freely at meetings those things I was so hesitant to tell my sponsor, which usually invokes healing laughter. As we let this process work in and through us, the ghosts of our pasts lose their power over us. We are so blessed to have a design for living that frees us from guilt, shame, and the wreckage of what we used to be. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: "I am more and more convinced that our happiness or unhappiness depends more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves."
Alexander Humboldt

Before the program, life was one struggle after another. Having no meaningful life skills (processing life on life’s terms), I was sentenced to a life of sadness, disappointment, and unhappiness. As I look back, I was an immature and selfish little brat that banged the high chair when things didn’t go my way. They say we stop growing emotionally when we start drinking. I didn’t have the best childhood, but I certainly had one of the longest. The first 25 years of my childhood nearly killed me! Sobriety is the realization that we come into the program with the maturity of a selfish toddler. Getting sober and processing all the garbage I had been carrying, allowed me to grow up into a better person and “gentleman.” The program (steps) and having faith gave me a completely different perspective on life. I used to see life through the dirty filters of fear, resentment and selfishness. Now, I see life as a gift of hope and opportunity. It’s quite remarkable to see how a positive attitude can change your existence. If you want to like the next meeting you go to, try telling yourself “before” the meeting that this is going to be a great meeting. A positive attitude changes everything. :two_hearts:

6 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Almost without exception, alcoholics are tortured by loneliness. Even before our drinking got bad and people began to cut us off, nearly all of us suffered the feeling that we didn’t quite belong. Either we were shy, and dared not draw near others, or we were noisy good fellows constantly craving attention and companionship, but rarely getting it. There was always that mysterious barrier we could neither surmount nor understand. That’s one reason we loved alcohol too well. But even Bacchus (the Greek god of wine) betrayed us, we were finally struck down and left in terrified isolation."
As Bill Sees It, To Watch Loneliness Vanish, p. 90

Sadly, there is a stark irony that alcoholism is a disease of loneliness that the alcoholic treats with isolation. I love the saying that, Isolation is the dark room, where I develop my negatives. As I reflect back on my life, especially before the program, I can see how my self doubts trapped me in isolation and sadness. I heard very early on in the program that we have a disease that takes over, because we are now comfortable in our own skin. That simple statement described me perfectly. I didn’t know what I wanted to be, but I certainly didn’t want to be me. I walked around life comparing my insides to other people’s outsides, which was basically comparing my debilitating insecurities to a beautifully painted landscape. All of us in the fellowship can relate to walking around life three drinks shy of comfortable. When we trust the program process, the miracle of accepting yourself comes as one of the greatest gifts you will ever receive. If I stay in the middle of the program, I know in my heart of hearts that I will be alright and never be alone again. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: When fear persisted, we knew it for what it was, and we became able to handle it. We began to see each adversity as a God-given opportunity to develop the kind of courage which is born of humility, rather than of bravado."
As Bill Sees It, Courage and Prudence, p. 91

If someone would have asked me what I was afraid of before I came into the program, I would have said nothing, I had been hardened by my environment and had no value for my own life. In fact, checking out was a much better option than to continue to live the nightmare of active addiction. Then, in the 4th AA step, I was encouraged to honestly face the fears in my life that were controlling my actions. I also came to the realization that all fears are just future tripping; they haven’t happened yet and are not real. Honestly acknowledging my fears was half the battle. The other half was accepting them and pursuing a deeper faith in God. They say a fear faced, is a fear erased. I am not sure that is always true, but there is some merit in that statement. Once we realize our fears can control our decisions and actions, we can take steps to mitigate those fears, which usually means to walk through them. It’s disheartening to think of all the vanished opportunities in life that were lost to our fears. In sobriety, I try to make my dreams bigger than my fears. I trust that my loving God would not have put that dream in my heart, if he hadn’t also given me everything to live it. I am so glad that I can now embrace my fears as opportunities to live a full and purposeful life. :two_hearts:

3 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: "This very real feeling of inferiority is magnified by his childish sensitivity and it is this state of affairs which generates in him that insatiable, abnormal craving for self-approval and success in the eyes of the world. Still a child, he cries for the moon. And the moon, it seems, won’t have him."
LANGUAGE OF THE HEART, p. 102

As we go through life, we are indoctrinated by society norms that tell us that success is determined by your job or how much money you make. These twisted values are an exercise in futility, but we still pursue them with vigor. Thankfully, our program retrains us to put a higher premium on those things in life that matter the most, such as giving, kindness, and lasting serenity. I am not sure there is a measure of success in our program, but long years of sobriety is certainly the goal of many. Lasting contentment seems to me to be the best barometer of a successful life. Brian Tracy once said, Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. Unsuccessful people are always asking, “What’s in it for me?” The program has taught us that the road to our happiness is paved by helping others. The gifts we receive by giving ourselves to others are true, meaningful, and lasting. The successes as determined by society are always fleeting and temporary, and this philosophy inevitably leads to a life of frustration and disappointment. On the flip side, the successes we learn in the program are sustainable, but only as long as we are spiritually fit and committed to helping others. I have accomplished many things in life, but by far my greatest success is getting sober, and through our loving fellowship, finding lasting contentment, peace and serenity. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY "In forgiving ourselves, we make the journey from guilt for what we have done (or not done) to celebration of what we have become."
Joan Borysenko

If not for the program, I would not be the person I am today. Today I accept who I am, but that only came after years of processing the haunting terrors of my upbringing, and by facing the all damage I created from my addictions. As we clear the wreckage of our past, we slowly begin to become a completely different person. Our book describes this psychic or personality change as a spiritual experience, and I have come to firmly believe this is one of the most powerful discoveries we can make. So, where does this acceptance of ourselves descend? It starts with a growing faith in God, but this would not nearly be enough without the 4th and 9th steps that help clear away our haunting memories. In the 4th and 5th steps, we admit our part in life situations (resentments), face our fears and faults, and come clean with God, ourselves and another person we trust. Then, we get to make amends in the 9th step, and we continue to make living amends to virtually every person in our lives. Once we honestly take these steps, the only thing left for us is to forgive ourselves. In my experience, when uncomfortable memories pop up, I have had to forgive myself and others yet again, and remind myself that I’m no longer that hurt child or person I used to be. Once I find peace in forgiveness, I can truly accept myself and recognize the more kind, forgiving, and tolerant person that I am today. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY "Sometimes taking somebody else’s inventory can be most beneficial. When I was doing my Fourth Step, an old-timer suggested I list the names of those against whom I held resentments, followed by two or three sentences describing what they had done to earn my displeasure. Then, after putting the list aside for a day, I was to cross off each person’s name and replace it with my own."
Renton, Washington, October 1987, “Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall”, Step By Step

As it did for me, I bet a light bulb went off in your head when you read that quote. It is an epiphany when we begin to realize that what annoys us in others, is usually a reflection of our own character defects. It’s ironic how much our own character shortcomings impact everything in our lives, especially our relationships with others. When we see the good in others, we see the good in ourselves. When we see the negative in others, we usually end up with a reciprocal negative mindset. Life itself is like a mirror. Whatever mood we are in is reflected in our perspective of our surroundings and the situations we face. For this very reason, a positive attitude is essential to a positive life. We can’t possibly have a positive life with a negative mind. Our attitudes are contagious, so we have to ask ourselves, “Is our attitude worth catching?” Today, we can choose to be a dark shadow or that positive reflection in the mirror that casts a kind and caring light over the life we live. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Sobriety does interesting things to the mind - clears it up some, lets a bit of honesty and truth filter in, and begins to demand reality."
Vancouver, British Columbia, January 1998, “Reciprocal Strength”, Voices of Long-Term Sobriety

For most, our second year of sobriety gets rough at times, because “life gets real.” With all those I work with in the program, I tell them it’s coming, but most of us have to experience it for ourselves. When we no longer have our only coping mechanism, King Alcohol, we are faced with a barrage of feelings and emotions we’ve never experienced. We break down crying during a simple share at a meeting, or we recoil and isolate when our feelings get hurt. Whatever the case, we have to learn an entirely new way of dealing with our emotions, which usually means walking through some sort of pain or discomfort. We should let our emotions run their course and never apologize for them. If we apologize for emotions, we apologize for the truth. Letting out tears is truthful; suppressing emotions is a form of internal dishonesty. In early sobriety, I struggled with letting my emotions out. It was just too foreign and uncomfortable for me to feel emotions fully. Once I let the program break down my walls of self deceit, I found that I did want to live life fully, and to feel everything, both good and bad. Letting the reality of life into my heart allows me to find a much deeper love and appreciation of my family, friends, others, and the world around me. :two_hearts:

5 Likes

RECOVERY QUOTE OF THE DAY: "My soul remained a mystery until my Higher Power settled inside me, appearing to me as a very real feeling of love and caring. Kindness slowly took precedence, and I became comfortable with the idea that I didn’t need a drink.”
Cornwall, Ontario, January 2005, “From Rags to Riches”, Voices of Long-Term Sobriety

Throughout our book, it is made very clear that no human power can relieve us of our addiction. It is also clear that there will come times in which no human power can keep us from picking up that first drink; the one that kills us. When those moments inevitably arrive, we better hope our “spiritual bank” is supplied and that we aren’t getting an “insufficient funds” message. Our entire program and book are about developing spirituality, and a loving relationship with a Higher Power of our own understanding, which the vast majority of us call God. Talking about the spiritual part of the program is like talking about the wet part of the ocean, or the round part of a basketball; it’s everything! Gaining a deep faith is essential to our recovery, but it is also a key element in changing our behavior for the better. I have never met anyone that thoroughly and honestly took all 12 steps and didn’t have a complete personality change for the better. Through the steps, we obtain the courage to become whom we were supposed to be. We come into the program wanting to get sober, but we end up finding a design for living that directs us into becoming kind and caring towards all. :two_hearts:

7 Likes