Recovery Quote of the Day

hi Mr Ed can you dm me a list of some of your literature please, I’ve got all the obvious ones but you pull some crackers out from books I’ve never heard of. Have a blessed and sober day my friend.

1 Like

June 10th

"To be vital, faith must be accompanied by self-sacrifice and unselfish, constructive action.
As Bill Sees It, Faith and Action, p. 212

We have all witnessed many people “go out” that don’t fully embrace the principles of this simple program. The lucky ones make it back with a new found humility, and hopefully, more willingness. Unfortunately, most don’t, and they are sentenced to a life of misery before the inevitable horrific alcoholic death. There are others that hang on the fringe of the program, and they can stay sober for a while, but eventually, they will sadly go out too. We also can’t get this gift of sobriety by just sitting in meetings. Sitting in meetings without a sponsor and applying the steps to your life is like a dog running on a slick floor; a bunch of motion, but not going anywhere! Make no mistake, this is a program of daily action. We can’t let the life AA gave us, get in the way of our AA life. Fully embracing the entire recovery package takes sacrifice and committed unselfishness. Setting aside our petty desires is essential to our humility and recovery. We simply can’t keep this thing unless we give it away. Today, I will not rest on my laurels, but instead, I will take contrary action and do something to enhance my recovery. :heart:

6 Likes

June 11th

"In AA’s Eleventh Step I find that I build today the road I travel tomorrow."
Binghamton, N.Y., April 1968, “The Old Fear Had To Go” AA Grapevine

A primary reason for taking the steps is to develop and improve our conscious contact with God. First, we have to define a Higher Power of our own understanding and nurture that faith until we can turn our will and life over to God’s care. Then we remove all those spiritual blockages we carry through life by taking Steps 4-10. Once we clear away the debris of our past, then and only then, can we have a maximum relationship with our Higher Power. As we practice the 11th Step in our daily lives, we are building essential reserves in our spiritual bank. Our spirituality not only grows from prayer and meditation, it also grows exponentially from expressing care and kindness towards others throughout the day. We know we are all only an arms length away from a drink, so we better hope our spiritual bank has reserves to draw from. Is your spiritual ATM showing “insufficient funds?” I have faith tomorrow will be kind to me, because I’ve done the work yesterday and today. Whatever happens in life, I know I can tap into my spiritual bank to get me to a place of faith, peace and acceptance. :heart:

6 Likes

Forgot to post this yesterday :heart:

9 Likes

June 12th

"The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous. He has commenced to accomplish those things for us which we could never do by ourselves."
Alcoholics Anonymous p. 25

When we first came into the program, so many of us fought the idea that a Higher Power could have anything to do with our daily lives. Nor did we believe that a Higher Power could or would relieve our addiction. Thankfully, we were so beat up by life that we were willing to open our minds to the potential and existence of a God that could possibly help us. It doesn’t take long for us to recognize the undeniable miracles unfolding before us in those members that have completely transformed their lives through spiritual principles. Then, as our belief and faith grew, we began to understand and see the blessings unwrap in front of us each day. The more we let our God into our hearts, the more our perception about life changed for the better. Now, I can’t imagine a life without a strong belief and trust in God. Since I truly came to believe in a Higher Power, and I turned my will and life over to the care of God, my life has become infinitely easier to live and much more fulfilling. As my first grand sponsor used to say to me every time he saw me, “Don’t leave one second before the miracle!” :heart:

7 Likes

June 13th

"Peace is not something you must hope for in the future. Rather, it is a deepening of the present, and unless you look for it in the present, you will never find it."
—Thomas Merton—

We don’t drink one day at a time, but we should also try to live life one day at a time. When we focus on the future or dwell about the past, we are completely missing what is actually happening in our lives today. On the other hand, when we try to live in the moment, we can maximize our appreciation for life’s daily blessings. I believe we are spiritual beings having a human experience, so when I live in the moment, I feel the spiritual connection of everything and everyone around me. It allows me to shape my day with a positive attitude and perception. As a poem published in the Grapevine once said, “I hope than when today becomes yesterday, my regrets will be few, and when tomorrow becomes today, my memories will be pleasant.” Each day is an amazing opportunity to learn and practice love and kindness towards others, but we should also be kind to ourselves. I know inner peace is a noble daily goal that is attainable, if I live in the moment, and allow a deepening spiritual perception of life and God’s universe. :heart:

8 Likes

Love this and absolutely so true. Nothing beats the feeling of being wholly present in a moment and having the ability to have true appreciation for where I am today and for what I have today.
Growing up I was always searching… it was well known that all I wanted in life was to be happy. I believed it was something I had to somehow miraculously find and it would be THE destination of all destinations…
But no, its found in little moments in a day
Feeling present, grateful, blessed and as you say, living in the moment (and making those moments count :wink:)
Much love Big Ed :pray:

2 Likes

June 14th

"As we felt new power flow in, as we enjoyed peace of mind, as we discovered we could face life successfully, as we became conscious of His presence, we began to lose our fear of today, tomorrow or the hereafter. We were reborn."
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 63 (portion of the 3rd Step Promises)

Our commitment to fully take the 3rd Step is the beginning of a remarkable journey. As we tap into a power greater than ourselves, we begin to see life completely different. For the first time in many years, we begin to discover a sense of serenity that we never thought possible. Our nightmare of drinking and using turns into a semblance of a normal existence free of chaos and drama. Many of us see an overwhelming positive change in our lives immediately, but we all eventually see those changes if we stay committed to this program of action. Taking the 3rd Step and making that daily morning surrender is a powerful tool in finding peace in our lives. Quite simply, a strong belief in a Higher Power just makes life easier to live. When we accept a spiritual perspective, we also begin to accept life on life’s terms. We are still responsible and accountable for the action, but the outcomes are left up to God. I cherish the 3rd Step and all that it has to offer; it has made me a better person, and it has provided me peace of mind that I never thought imaginable. :heart:

6 Likes

June 15th

The source of love is deep in us, and we can help others realize a lot of happiness. One word, one action, one thought can reduce another person’s suffering and bring that person joy. —Thich Nhat Hanh—

There was an awkward young boy walking home from school one day with all his books, and some older bullies started picking on him. Another young man, who happened to be very popular at school, witnessed this cruelty and intervened to stop it. He helped the young boy pick up his books and walked him home offering kind words of encouragement; he had found a friend for life. That awkward young boy grew up to be a very good athlete and was given an award at his graduation for being the best scholar-athlete in the school. He didn’t thank his teachers or coaches, but instead, he thanked the young man that stopped some bullies from beating him up one afternoon. He described what a profound impact his kind words had on him that day. He said that he was in a very dark place and had planned on ending his life and sadness that afternoon. After the popular young man kindly stepped in to help him, it changed his entire perspective on life, and he no longer felt he had to end his emotional pain. That awkward young boy went on to have an amazing life and dedicated himself to helping others. You see, you never know when a small act of kindness may change someones life and have a ripple affect on so many of God’s children. There is a bit of that awkward young boy in all of us, just as there is a warm and loving heart that can encourage others through hardships. :heart:

5 Likes

June 18th

A morning Prayer - "Dear God, so far today, I’ve done all right. I haven’t gossiped. I haven’t lost my temper. I haven’t been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish or overindulgent. I’m very thankful for that. But in a few minutes, God, I’m going to get out of bed; and from then on, I’m probably going to need a lot more help. Amen."
– Anonymous–

We are encouraged to start and end our day in some prayer. The classic morning prayer is the “On awakening…” prayer on page 86. It is vital for us to frame our day with a positive outlook and guidance from a power greater than ourselves. However, this quiet reflection can be anything that resonates with us and incorporates turning our will and life over to the care of God. Before I even get out of bed, usually with my eyes never fully opened, I say this simple prayer, “Please God, enter my mind before I do.” I find that if I don’t check in with my Higher Power first thing in the morning, I’m back running the show by noon and creating havoc in my life.

In the evening, the recommended payer is the “When retiring at night…” prayer, also found on page 86. At night, we need to admit and accept our faults, but we should be very careful not to fall into morbid reflection. Quite simply, life is all a “lesson learned,” and we seem to learn best from our mistakes. Dwelling on regrets is unhealthy. We can’t change the past; we can only change our level of acceptance and learn from our mistakes. Try this attitude adjustment: In the morning add, “Today I will make a great day,” and at night add, “That was a great day!” And so it will be…

7 Likes

June 21st

"By going back in our own drinking histories, we could show that years before we realized it we were out of control, that our drinking even then was no mere habit, that it was indeed the beginning of a fatal progression."
12&12, p. 23 (Step 1 exercise)

Until we can admit to our innermost selves without any reservations that we are alcoholics, we have no shot at long term sobriety. For this reason, some say the most important step is step 1. All the steps are vitally important, but step 1 is certainly the foundation of our surrender into recovery. By writing a chronology of our drinking history, as the above passage in the 12 & 12 infers, we can more readily admit we were alcoholics. This is also true as it applies to the associated negative ramifications of our drinking. Facing all the negative outcomes of our drinking makes it easier for us to admit unmanageability. I have heard it shared many times that they took step 1 when they walked through the doors of AA. For me, it was more necessary to build a stronger foundation, one in which I needed to carefully look at the toll my disease had wreaked havoc in my life. Today, I have no reservations about my disease, and its potential to ruin my life and happiness. Once we fully accept the fatal progression of the disease that lurks within us, it would be compete insanity to think that picking up a drink somehow makes sense.

6 Likes

June 22nd

"Ever deepening humility, accompanied by an ever greater willingness to accept and to act upon clear-cut obligations (responsibility) - these are truly our touchstones for all growth in the life of the spirit. They hold up to us the very essence of right being and right doing. It is by them that we are enabled to find and to do God’s will."
As Bill Sees It, A.A. In Two Words, p.271

As selfish and self-centered practicing alcoholics, we were anything but humble, and we certainly lacked diligent responsibility. As we peel away the layers of our dysfunctional lives, we begin to appreciate the value in humility and its connection to spirituality. We also learn that we are 100% accountable for our actions, and we begin to earnestly try to meet all our obligations in life. In short order, we often become trusted members of our communities. We are recognized as being responsible and caring, which is something many of us never thought possible. Because of our new found qualities, people are drawn to us, and many of us rise to leadership roles. When we commit to “right being and right doing,” remarkable things are sure to follow. I can’t imagine how unhealthy and ruinous my life would have been if not for this program and its encouragement to practice humility and responsibility. With your love and support, the impossible became the possible. When we walk with God, we will always find our true destination. :heart:

5 Likes

June 23rd

"As we made spiritual progress, it became clear that, if we ever were to feel emotionally secure, we would have to put our lives on a give-and-take basis; we would have to develop the sense of being in partnership or brotherhood with all those around us. We saw that we would need to give constantly of ourselves without demand for repayment. When we persistently did this, we gradually found that people were attracted to us as never before. And even if they failed us, we could be understanding and not too seriously affected."
12 & 12, pp. 115-116

The concept of “service” was an absolute game changer for me. Being of service at meetings and with fellow AA members gave me an extreme sense of belonging and depth of purpose that I had never experienced before. When I extended this concept to all areas of my life, remarkable things happened. Taking the concept of service to work changed my attitude completely, and I become a much better employee. Self sacrifice and service (teamwork) are the keystones to leadership; people are drawn to those that have a positive attitude and are committed to service. With my wife, being of complete service and expecting nothing in return improved our relationship immensely (the 100%, 0% rule – give 100% and expect nothing in return). Giving and not keeping score in all areas of my life has improved my relationships with everyone and everything. The legacy of “service” has been an amazing gift of the program. The road to my happiness is truly paved by helping others. :heart:

5 Likes

June 24th

"Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster. Your life will never be the same again."
– Og Mandino –

If we reflect back, I’m sure we could find an instance in which an act of kindness had a profound impact on our life. Sadly, we go through life so self absorbed that we miss moments to pay forward random acts of kindness. Life presents us with endless possibilities to express love, care, and kindness, but we need to make the commitment. Our 10th Step each night reminds us to continue to take personal inventory, which also includes a retrospective of the good things we do each day (God’s will is always the opposites of our character defects). In extending kindness to others, we are representing a core value of our program - helping others. You never know when you may represent the first, or only, example to someone of our loving fellowship. On numerous occasions after I am thanked for some act of kindness, my first spontaneous thought and reaction has been, don’t thank me, thank AA, they built me. Being kind to others is another way to attract those in need to our loving fellowship. It takes little effort and only brief moments to be kind, but the result can last a lifetime, for both you and them. :heart:

6 Likes

in the past 80% of these people I was planning how to kill by midnight :rofl:

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean Paul. Me too my friend.

June 25th

"Finally, we begin to see that all people, including ourselves, are to some extent emotionally ill as well as frequently wrong. When this happens, we approach true tolerance and we see what real love for our fellows actually means."
12 & 12, p. 92

Once we can accept ourselves, faults and all, our perspective on life changes. It is also vitally important to recognize how selfish and self centered we can be, and how that dictates our attitudes and decision making. Accepting ourselves and realizing that we were once very “self” driven, rather than “care” driven, opens a new highway to a more peaceful life. The walls that we built around our heart to keep others from hurting us slowly start to come down, one brick at a time. As our own emotional burdens dissolve, we start seeing the good in others. We love more deeply and appreciate the little things in life. What a blessing it is to be able to practice our code, “love and tolerance,” from the heart and with absolute purity. For me, existing in life has become so much easier when I can walk among others with love and kindness in my heart rather than disdain, anger, self-pity and the fear that once dominated me. When we view life through a prism of acceptance and gratitude, it allows us to breath in God, and ultimately in the end, understand that everything will be okay. :heart:

4 Likes

June 26th

"Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends—this is an experience you must not miss. . . . Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives."
(A few of the 12th Step promises) AA, p. 89

Throughout my sobriety, people have asked me why I still go to meetings after so many years of not drinking. There are many reasons, but where do you start with that question? The primary reason for most of us is the acknowledgement that this disease of ours is only in remission, and if left untreated, it will come back to haunt us. For me, I love the togetherness, spirit, and watching others heal and grow right before my eyes. AA is rooms full of positive people trying to become better in all aspects of their lives. The depth of the friendships we forge is second to none. We would literally do anything for each other. Where else in this world can you find such caring camaraderie? It is also pointless to try and explain our commitment to helping newcomers and how much that means to our emotional and spiritual well being. It’s as if we have found the secret to life and all that it has to offer. As long as I stay close to the program, I will never be alone again. I know in my heart of hearts that if I continue to commit to teaching and practicing the 12 steps, I can achieve and embrace lasting peace and contentment. :heart:

5 Likes

June 27th

"We must think deeply of all those sick ones still to come to A.A. As they try to make their return to faith and to life, we want them to find everything in A.A. that we have found, and yet more, if that be possible. No care, no vigilance, no effort to preserve A.A.'s constant effectiveness and spiritual strength will ever be too great to hold us in full readiness for the day of their homecoming."
As Bill Sees It, Day of Homecoming, p. 229

I shudder to think where I would be in life if not for the vision and commitment of our founders and all the elder statesmen that came before me. They all saw that this program was well worth carrying on into the future, hence our traditions and principles were developed to protects its integrity for years to come. Now, it is our turn to carry on those traditions and to demonstrate the immense healing power of one person helping another. As each newcomer walks through the door, they come into a well established fellowship that is ready to take them under their wing, and that is something worth preserving. The longer I stay sober, the more I’m attracted to meetings that uphold our traditions and are committed to making sure we pass this gift along in the state we accepted it. Maintaining our code of “love and tolerance, coupled with a kind and caring application of our traditions, are keys to a safe haven and welcoming environment for newcomers. It is so encouraging to see the light of our program carry on as a beacon to all those who need love and support. :heart:

5 Likes

June 28th

"Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing."
– Mother Theresa–

We have been given an unbelievable gift in life. The program has offered us so much more than sobriety. We are provided a blueprint for living a happy and peaceful life full of opportunities. So, what do we do with this gift? We get another gift, and that is the genuine warmth we feel when we give it away! I have been overpaid in life; I could give for the rest of my life, and the balance sheets would still never be even. I’ve always believed that we should be just as kind and giving outside the rooms as we are inside the rooms of AA, and in so doing, we are making essential deposits into our spiritual bank. We are walking examples of the program, and life presents us with endless opportunities to show care and kindness. A simple smile when someone is down could have a profound impact, so why not give this simple gesture to others? Kindness costs us nothing, but it could mean the world to someone else. It’s the small things in life that end up mattering the most. :heart:

3 Likes