Relapse dreams anyone?

So I’m well into day 4 of recovery and the nausea and other physical symptoms are well on their way to buzzing off but the dreams!!! Unreal.
Every night I have some version of a relapse dream of even multiple in one night. The most stressful one is that for some reason my whole family is living with my partner and I and I’m trying to hide alcohol and my drunkenness like I used to do but in a house full of people! The whole dream is just me running around hiding my stash of alcohol and trying not to get caught. I wake up exhausted and panicked but I found kind of a silver lining to the whole fiasco which is; I wake up truly hoping that it was a dream and that I didnt really relapse. In the past I would wake up from dreams like that and think “Man I wish that was real :frowning:” but now I’m happy that it was just a dream and that I’m still going strong 4 days in!!!
What about you guys? Your brains being weird in your sleep too?

5 Likes

Happy to hear they go away for the most part. I need sleeeeeeeeeep!!!

Im at 4 months now and I haven’t had much experience with drinking in my dreams until last night. Three different times. I don’t usually remember my dreams that well and these are no exception to that rule. I don’t remember if I actually drank the drink or not but I do remember I had a drink. I don’t think too much about dreams. My wife’s psychiatrist says “dreams are weird”.

First off, well done on the 4 months! And yea your wife’s psychiatrist is probably right xD I also dont put much stock in them, it’s just your brain processing your life in it’s own weird way :woman_shrugging:
It’s the panic I wake up with that really ticks me off -_- especially 3 times in one night.

1 Like

I love them, it’s the funniest part of recovery, I once showered in lager while smoking a ciggerette, it was the most refreshing shower I had ever had and that ciggerette was WOOOOOWWWW!!!.. you can’t do stuff like that in real life and all my cravings were satisfied for the next day.
Last night I was on a game show on TV and all the prizes were alcohol and I just kept winning, I’m like looking at my family in the audience going wtf am I going to do with all this. Can’t wait for tonight :sleeping::smirk:

I have had a couple of doozies. This lockdown is not helping because I have also had a couple of pandemic themed nightmares.

Hahahaha!! Well that’s one way of looking at it, as long as you wake up feeling good right? I prefer my dreams about finding puppies and kittens in the most random places and having to hand raise them, cant wait for those dreams to come back. Or the one where I fly over Narnia…my brain can be pretty dope sometimes. I once went on a mountain biking trip with Daniel Radcliffe, super chill dude xD

1 Like

Ah man I’m sorry to hear that! My partner has those as well, really not a good night’s sleep. Have you tried reading before bed? I’ve gotten my partner to read fantasy themed books before bed instead of his usual action thrillers and it seems to be helping a bit.
And hug your adorable dog :slight_smile: I have a cat who has night terrors, I often find myself sitting with him at 3 am after we’ve both woken up in a panic. Then I’m found curled up on the couch with a cat on my head the next morning. Pets are life!

2 Likes

Same experience. I was having these dreams almost every other night. Same as you, I would wake up in a panic wondering if I really had drank and who’s mad at me :persevere:. Then being so happy it was just a bad dream. :blush:

1 Like

Made my morning xD thank you

Yea the relief when you realise you’re still sober is kind of awesome right?
Two days ago I did ask my boyfriend if I had relapsed the day before because the dream seemed so real!!!

3 Likes

Relapse dreams are disconcerting. I have had a couple recently where I woke up sweating and thought to myself “dang now I have to reestablish a new clean date”. I was relieved when I figured out it was just a dream.

2 Likes

I’ve got them as well. Not so much alcohol related, but drug related. It’s years since I quitted but I can still wake up after a dream like that and thinking about how to get what I “need” for that day. I know it’s just a dream but it doesn’t really help in those moments. I won’t do it, but it’s still annoying.

They’re pretty common, and they do fade with time and sobriety. See a few posts under the “drinking-dreams” tag: https://talkingsober.com/tag/drinking-dreams