Runners in 2023 - 5K/10K/13.1/26.2/Ultra

Hi! I’ve been running for about 10 years. Throughout those 10 years, I have come to realize that, for me, running is 1 item in my tool bag that helps me focus on my sobriety. I recall many days when I have said to myself, “If I run today, I will not drink.” I have completed 4 half marathons and a handful of 5Ks & 10Ks. I am signed up for the St. Jude marathon in Nashville, TN in April. It will be my first 26.2. Its a huge jump in distance for me. Im not a fast runner. I just enjoy it. Any other runners here?

35 Likes

Hey there!!

I have been running since quitting smoking 14 years ago…it helped me then and it helps me now. Sanity fix when I lace up!! I run slow and steady (like seriously slow) and my mileage is anywhere from 1-7 miles a run. Never done races, competition gives me hives (family of upbringing I am naming you here!). :smirk:

Congratulations on the races and your upcoming!! Hopefully you have a solid training program in place for the jump up in mileage. My daughter has done many (Disney!) races, including their halfs and marathons (including the Dopey …ouch!!). Anyway, she finds the Galloway method of training / running super helpful, especially with the longer runs. If you haven’t looked into it, see what you think.

How is the Nashville course? I assume you live around there, so it won’t be a change in temp/humidity/etc for you.

Very exciting! Congrats!!

6 Likes

I am a runner as well. Getting back into it as I continue to recover from an injury. Slow and steady. Glad to be here!

5 Likes

Hey! Not a runner (currently pregnant and walking a lot though!) have you ever read Running Ransom Road? It’s a recovery memoir that centers around marathon running and is really well written. If I remember correctly, it has some descriptions of drinking life…mostly hangovers, but probably drinking as well, so…if that’s triggering maybe skip it, but I found the book and audible to both be great reads/listens

6 Likes

I used to run about a decade ago lol i loved it!!! Never did any marathons, although i remember wanting to. I ended up finding running alot was hard on my knees and had to cut back dramatically. Since getting clean I have been working out on different cardio machines as well as doing weight lifting. Exercise is a passion of mine. Couldnt live without it! :muscle:

4 Likes

Ive been running fkr what… 6 years now? I do mostly 5 and 10 Ks

4 Likes

Great book! I was going to recommend too.

5 Likes

Pretty sure @Runningfree never stops moving. :eyes:

4 Likes

I run but don’t consider myself a runner :joy: I guess I like races and free bananas. I would love to do a half marathon but I don’t think I could like training that much. I’m more of a 5-10k fun runner.

6 Likes

I’m very much a runner! I consider myself a slowly runner with an average pace of 10:30-11:30 but have gotten a less than 10 minute mile this past year. I love doing 5ks on the regular. A few each month and a 10k or two. Sometimes I just run how far my body feels like. It is definitely tool #1 in my box. My goal this year is 500 miles with a secondary maybe goal of a half marathon each month. Not sure if the second part will last all year but we shall see. I haven’t done a full marathon yet but who knows what’s in the card for the future. Good luck on your marathon @theboroguy!! Will you be posting your training here?

Thank you for the tag @Eke

6 Likes

Thank you. I will definitely check it out.

1 Like

Hi. Im a somewhat slow runner as well. Im totally happy to post training here. Can we start a Training Log thread? Lol. Ill go first.

6 Likes

I only made it to half crazy…The people I knew who went full on crazy looked healthy but always ended up at the podiatrist or orthopedic office with foot, knee, ankle, hamstring injuries or something of the sort.

2 Likes

Holy shit! 100k!! :exploding_head: I just don’t know how I would feel about running if I did that :joy: I’d probably hate it by the end. And trail running is so hard! The one time I attempted a trail race I fell multiple times and ended up with a dnf

1 Like

I’ve never done a trail race. I think I may want to some day. I have a strong feeling that after i get theough the 26.2 distance, I’m going to want to start poking around in the ultra space. About 2 years ago, I read Can’t Hurt Me by David Goggins. Since that read, Ive become interested in what comes after the marathon.

2 Likes

Have you read Born to run by Christoper Mcdougall? (I just saw on google there is a book 2, headed to Amazon to order) That’s what put long distances in my head but I’m still not sure my body can hold up for 20+ miles. I haven’t tested it yet and I might one day cause why not lol

Edit- says book 2 is just a training guide so now I’m less interested in it :unamused:

4 Likes

Im going to go look for that book now. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is excellent as well. It goes into the science of how running positively affects many different neurotransmitters and even promotes neurogenesis
41e8yPEAH6L.AC_SY780

7 Likes

I’ll see your 6 :blush:

6 Likes

Very nice! 10K…Done

2 Likes