Runners in 2023 - 5K/10K/13.1/26.2/Ultra

Started Day 1 of my run training using the 5K Runner app, to begin my morning walk. I couldn’t believe I was able to keep up without a near death experience coming in at 280+ :joy:. I can say without a doubt all my efforts in the past month have paid off!

8 Likes

I bought new trainers - Hoka Torrent 2 Trail Running. Always go a size up with Hoka in my opinion. I’ll see how they go today just walking the dog. The Ultra test is less than 3 weeks away.

7 Likes

Ohh have you had these yet? I run in hoka speed goats but I think I’m in a committed relationship :rofl:

Also I just signed up for my first 25k in October!! I’ve never gone over a half in running (I’ve done multi sport events lasting 6-7 hrs but never just running). Got a training plan from a trainer on TP. Guess I’ll be posting my progress here for accountability :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes that’s a pic of mine!! Woo hoo.

I also have Hoka Clifton’s but I wanted something with a sturdier sole for the Peak District Ultra.

I’ve done a few marathons but never as far as 31 miles over hills, so we will see how I get on. My hamstring has been hurting for a couple of months now. Fingers crossed!!

4 Likes

Listen to your body ! Good luck :hugs:

2 Likes

I listen, then ignore a little… no pain, no gain, etc etc, blah, blah, blah… :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Day 2 of the 5K Runner program complete. Damn near killed me earlier as I encountered an error that sustained my run time longer than normal for the first 2 minutes. Luckily as I was able to fix that by keeping the phone unlocked, then it was a breeze. I’m still impressed that I can run/jog over a minute.

7 Likes

Good effort. You’ll build up without thinking about it. The mental and physical benefits are incredible.

It’s also a fabulous motivator to stay sober knowing that alcohol makes you underperform. The more ‘addicted’ you are to fitness the easier it is to say no to things that make you feel sick, tired, and run down.

3 Likes

Thank you. I can say right now that me and alcohol have a mutual agreement to stay away from each other, but the other killers such as sugar and sitting for prolonged periods will always be a challenge. I’m new to this world and I can’t wait until I’m running minutes at a time at a relaxed pace.

3 Likes

Yeah since I quit booze I’ve been a terrible sugar fiend. I move a lot but I still want to eat less of it. ODAAT. We’ll get there mate. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I became one in the past year, they need rehab centers for that alone. The gym doesn’t count haha! But yes, odaat indeed!

2 Likes

Left 4 years ago and right is today. I use to hate running because I was “bad” at it. I had trouble with the couch to 5k app cause I couldn’t even run 30 seconds 6 years ago. It’s so nice to see the progress in both pace and endurance.

4 Likes

Nice! I was just planning out my week of running. Gearing up for a long one on Saturday and figured, “I should just do another Half!”. So, looking at a race in Wisconsin. I think I get more fun out of the planning (the running is pretty dang fun too!).

Anyway, nice work on your gains. That’s gotta feel great!

2 Likes

5K sunday. I have been doing that distance on the sundays I work to get some stress offloaded. Decided to just do one each sunday from now on :woman_shrugging:t2: cause why not

3 Likes

2 Likes

So happy to have found this thread as running saved my life. Ironically, I had nearly eight years sober when I finished my first 50k this past December and I stupidly decided to celebrate with a beer. I was off to the races, no pun intended and have now had to start over. I’ve forgiven myself and again running has been my peace by reconnecting the broken links of my body, mind and spirit daily. Hope to connect with other sober runners because I know you guys and gals understand. Thank you for sharing everyone!!

5 Likes

One of my top three running books! Amazing story and writing.

2 Likes

Boy, that dang free beer they give at the end of marathons has almost gotten me too. So far Ive been been able to find someone to give it to or just throw it away.

Congrats on starting over!

2 Likes

Thank you brother! I had easily passed so many times but my ego got the best of me and feeling I earned it and could handle it. Lesson learned.

2 Likes

Another injury (knee) has me sidelined - I haven’t run since April. But I still believe that everything is gonna be alright, because it’s true.

3 Likes