Runners in 2023 - 5K/10K/13.1/26.2/Ultra

Well that was difficult! Super fun though. Things got very tough climbing up the rocks along the river. I was almost a half hour slower than the half marathon through town two weeks ago. But, they really aren’t comparable. I’m happy with my effort and glad I got up early and made the drive.

I saw a bear about 4 miles into it. That was a bit unsettling but it gave me a nice adrenalin boost! :smile:

4 Likes

I almost snapped one but houses were in my way and by the time I got to where I could take a decent one with only a few houses in it the clouds had changed their color :expressionless:

Nice job @Gorden!!! A bear would make me go faster too :joy:

3 Likes

I did not want to go for this run. I was doom scrolling through FB and I just so happened upon a post in a runners group I’m in. It was how to get motivated when you aren’t :joy: Ironic. I went to the comments and someone said when you go running and you don’t want to it helps strengthen your mentality and another said just go for 15 minutes and if you aren’t feeling it turn around. So I went for 15 minutes which turned into a few miles lol It felt easy and good, no idea why my mind didn’t want to because my body was sure feeling it.

4 Likes

Got my Peak District Ultra (31 miles) start time today - 0600 to 0630. I’ll need to be up early for breakfast!! Camping there the night before. Sunday 9th July. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:. Hope my sore hamstring holds out.

6 Likes

What do you eat for breakfast? I’m still dialing in my pre-marathon meal. As of now it is a small cup of coffee, one piece of toast with a small amount of butter ( i normally dont use butter) and 1/2 a banana.

2 Likes

Brekkie depends on what I’m doing that day. Porridge with chopped dates, maybe a whole banana, yoghurt. But if I know I need the extra carbs for a run I’ll add in toast, peanut butter, butter (rare for me too). Coffee with milk for me but I go decaf most of the time.

I always carry jelly babies for that quick sugar hit, and water with electrolytes in it. Even for a short run I’ll carry supplies. I like the luxury of being well prepared all the time.

Before a marathon I’ll start carb loading at least 3 days before

3 Likes

This was not meant to be a hard effort but damn the sun really makes it that way. Gave the doggos their walk first so they wouldn’t have to deal with the sun.

5 Likes

I downloaded a Couch to 5K app this morning. I attempted the program months ago but then got sick during that first week and never restarted it. I am determined to not only run 5k but to be able to run comfortably so that i can run along side my son while he bikes. I think that would be grrat exercise for both of us! Will be starting Monday! Feeling excited :smile:

7 Likes

Currently 290lbs, have never been fit or even remotely athletic, and I tore my minscus last March: had surgery this past December - I can’t run, at least not for long. I seen some of youse getting it consistently throughout these threads and I admire you. What may seem like nothing to some may be everything to others, and being able to run at least a 5K is now a dream of mine. I hope to be able to share that achievement before the year is over. Keep up the good work everyone!

6 Likes

I started with the couch to 5k app and it was a really good intro to running. They want you to pay after so many weeks :roll_eyes: so I switched to runkeeper for guided runs.

@jjcarson92 I hope you make your goal! It was so hard to get back into running after my acl surgery. My best advice is don’t skip on the single leg work. Lunges, split squats and the like.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I’ll admit that I haven’t followed through with physical therapy how I’m supposed, nor do I stretch, but I have full intent take all precautions necessary!

Dude, get after that PT. I didn’t do my Pt for the first acl/meniscus tear so I tore it again :grimacing: Trust me on this one. You don’t wanna do that shit

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right I’m gonna call them Monday and get a new script!

2 Likes

There is a race called Man V Horse not far from me. Runners up against people on horseback. It was absolutely brutal, the hardest thing I have ever done. Would I do it again? I don’t think so.

7 Likes

I’ve read about these. Who won? :grinning:

1 Like

Good luck, that sounds great!

You brought back a host of memories… Running next to my boys when they were little guys on their bikes was truly a great joy in life. We often ended up going on some side adventure. Keep us posted, I love listening to a new runner’s journey!

1 Like

I think that is great. I was in the 280’s when I started running. It was definitely a struggle in the beginning, but it was a good struggle. I miss those days, actually.

I wish you well!

2 Likes

That’s reassuring, but indeed a struggle I’m willing to embrace. Thanks!!

1 Like

It was won by a man in 2 hrs 24 mins :flushed:

4 Likes

Yay!!! Completed Week 2 Day 1 of the Couch to 5k program. Was a total of 8 min ran (well I jogged). Honestly… im impressed that i got through it lol Next session is on Wednesday. Looking forward to it!

9 Likes