Runners in 2023 - 5K/10K/13.1/26.2/Ultra

Tomorrow i begin the C25K program. Im doing this 8 week program that i saw online. I hope i can get back to running. Over a decade ago i could run for over an hour steadily with ease and now 1 min is tough :laughing: i really want to run 5km. Thats my first goal. Any tips or pieces of advice from u all that would help me meet my goal, would be greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

I used the couch to 5k program but after so many runs it wants you to pay for it so I moved to the Nike app that has guided runs and training programs for free. I used that for a bit and then moved to runkeeper. I just recently joined strava but I think my favorite of all the apps is runkeeper. They have tons of guided runs for free and some other in “training” programs that are paid.

My advice is don’t compare your current running self to your past running self. Take it slow and steady and you will get to where you want to be.
Im just now to the mindset that it’s OK to walk. I’ve decided to force myself to walk sometimes to get used to a slower pace. I will beat myself up if my pace is slow even though any pace is faster than the couch :wink:

3 Likes

Thank u SO much for ur help! I had no idea about these apps. I will get the free ones out.

This right here is so important and i didnt realize that until u said that. I am absolutely expecting myself to get back to that and i expect to get there sooner than later lol but thats not the reality of things. My body has changed dramatically including weighing more than i used to weigh while running back then. So ur advice on taking it slow is very useful. Uv always been an inspiration to me when it comes to running. I see ur posts and it really motivates me to get to where u are. Altho im sure uv had tons more practice than i ever had with running. U just seem to be a pro at it :slight_smile: im glad ur finding some balance that works for u too. U must have to fight the urge to run when ur walking. I can only imagine how difficult that would actually be when ur so used to running.

3 Likes

You got me blushing :relaxed: thank you for all the kind words. I’ve only been running for about 6 years and the first two I was still a cigarette smoker so I had an avg mile of 16-17 minutes. I walked all the time back then and I think that is one of the things that makes it so hard for me to walk now. Once I get my jeep back from the shop I’ll be able to take the dogs walking again. They keep me at a reasonable pace. We do walking with a few sprints thrown in.

I look forward to your running journey!

2 Likes

So glad u quit smoking! I bet its made a huge difference to ur workouts! And thank u again for ur advice! I appreciate it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wanted to do a long run today but I needed to get some intervals done. One of my goals is to get faster this year. So here’s to that :partying_face: (not sure why it didn’t break my intervals down) This was the endurance push run on runkeeper.

5 Likes

Finished my first day of the C25k program. Did 20 min, alternating 1 min of running then 1.5 min of walking. Feeling pretty impressed with myself. Baby steps :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Short and quick today. The goal was negatives but didn’t quite get them :unamused:

4 Likes

Quick one before day two of the trade show I’m at. I used to go out and party every night at this show and be terribly hungover… now I go to bed early, wake up early to work out, and enjoy my day! :star_struck:

2 Likes

First run with my Garmin watch. It was so cold to start I had a hard time getting into the mindset but my long run/walk got done

4 Likes

4 Likes

Ran 7 in the state park today :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:
At a horse show this weekend. Bonus that there are trails, closed for the winter to horses, but open for ppl. Ran about 14 miles on soft surfaces and amongst some really big trees.
250px-Regarding_a_Douglas-fir,_South_Ridge_Loop,_Whipple_Creek_Park Not me in this photo, but I’m pretty sure I met this fine Douglas fir or a sibling yesterday :two_hearts:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Some negatives this morning, in 25 degree weather :cold_face:

3 Likes

Hit my goal for the month with a little extra

2 Likes

Just signed up for a 10k race in April! I’m not a die hard runner, I just like the energy and challenge of races. Need some snow to melt before I can train outside but I keep busy on the bike trainer and Nordic skiing.

4 Likes

I’m always trying for the negatives but some days they just don’t happen. The run felt good and That’s what matters to me :blush:

2 Likes

My goal is to find the sweet spot where I can run as slowly as I like, but for a long enough distance that I can succeed by attrition. We have a race here called “Lastest Not Fastest” TM and it looks so promising. But it’s still so difficult! Lastest Not Fastest last-person-standing race by Go Beyond Racing I run most days with a black box watch, only my coach can see the data, and on my own, with time no object, I nearly always run between 17.6-18.6 miles. Like a “set point” weight a body resists changing. After that, I don’t feel great again until after 27-32 miles. My secret ambition is to be this guy:
Ricky Lightfoot: British endurance runner wins 22-mile race against horse | CNN :heart_eyes:
PS: Ah, Youth! Been a while since my :heart: hit 183!

1 Like