Runner's log

I gotta say-I love seeing the thread “runners log” on this site! Such a positive topic :muscle:

2 Likes

Yep! There’s also a ride in North Georgia called 6 Gap…it has about the same elevation but it’s only 100 miles. One of the climbs is 7 miles, maybe 6% average. I’ve never felt like I’ve had the fitness to attempt it so i always say “next year”. I need to end up committing as I’m not getting any younger and it will only get harder.

4 Likes

Is that on hill trails? Looking forward to warmer weather here so I can get trail running again, it’s too cold and mud everywhere just now.

I’ve had calf problems since November so haven’t been running as much, more gym and core work. I thought my legs were strong from running but the gym work has really strengthened and my muscles are much more developed on my legs.

Looking forward to seeing what it does for my time splits in Spring/Summer if I can get my calf sorted.

Hey, new here. 2 days sober. Never really quit running but sure as hell wasn’t running very well. Plan on going to the gym tonight and running 2 miles to get a baseline and hopefully if I put that here in writing I’ll actually follow through :wink::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Yeah I try to do as much trail time as possible - that run had about 4 miles of concrete before I hit the hills and trails and I find the hard surfaces just kill my joints nowadays. Trail running is definitely my preferred route.

I was the same…never quit going to the gym, never quit running, actually used to run with hangovers. I lost 30+ lbs last year and it had nothing to do with my alcohol intake, so I cannot wait to see what training without alcohol will do for me. You are going to find as you progress that u will have so much more efficient workouts and feel so much better. Congrats on moving toward a healthier you!

2 Likes

I ran when hungover too, it was one of my key denial methods: “if I’m out here running 5 miles i cant be an alcoholic”…such a difference in my running now, feel so much stronger and lighter without the burden of alcohol weighing me down!

5 Likes

Finally got outside in this crazy Chicago winter. Had to dodge snow melt, but had time after work for 4 miles before darkness. SO much better than the treadmill!

2 Likes

:ok_hand: Lived in IL for 40 of my 54 years, and have loved it, but retiring next year split between mountains and ocean. IL can’t offer those!

1 Like

I’ve ran hungover, biked hungover, and went to the gym hungover…never again!

I’ve been out of commission on running since last week. Big toe just started hurting where it meets the ball of my foot out of no where the day after my last run. It’s almost pain free now. Been training on the stationary bike and stair climber at the gym to maintain my cardio. Think I need better shoes! Really blows too because there is a 5k the 24th of this month I was hoping to do.

2 Likes

I got 2 miles in last night after work to see where I’m at. About 17 minutes. I’m ok with that. Would like to see that at 16 or below within the next couple of months. I have hip problems so I usually don’t run longer than 5 miles at a time now either.

2 Likes

Also that was on a treadmill. I’m lucky to also have wilderness trails at work that I can run on my lunches, I usually get in about 2.5 miles in there a few days during the week when the weather isn’t horrible. I live in the PNW.

Sorry about your injury. But glad to hear you’re still staying active.

I made a commitment to fitness in 2010 so staying active is just as important as showering and brushing my teeth! I’ve just recently started back running. this happened the last time I got into running, only that time it was a cracked metatarsal. I think I do too much too soon. Researching this pain I couldn’t find any sources stating it as being a common running injury, so I have no idea the actual cause or a sure fire way to prevent it from happening again.

1 Like

I have been a runner for almost 30 years - same pain, intermittent, but chronically there. I haven’t had any explanation other than arthritis…I’ve recently started taking turmeric in the morning coffee and I am actually pain free right now :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

I’ve experienced it before but not to this degree, and it was when I wasn’t running. Plus it’s only ever showed up in my right foot. So who knows. The weather is going to be crap here in AL this weekend so at least I will have a few more days to recover. I’m going to research foods/supplements that help with inflammation. Maybe that will help to prevent it from coming back, or at least keep it tolerable.

1 Like

Just in 5km in 25.09 it was raining windy and we were running through tough bog land terrain. I’m happy as my calf lasted the whole 5 km although I felt a slight twinge at the finish.

Feeling great.

4 Likes

3000 feet of elevation gain on hill intervals today.

6 Likes

Damn!! Nice work!!

1 Like