Running in Recovery in 2024

Motivation!!! Haha

Do you have “fancy coffee treats?” I like to add some sweetened condensed milk on the weekends after long runs (akin to Vietnamese coffee)!

3 Likes

Actually not. But I enjoy my cuppa of black and unsweetened one :coffee:

As a kid I used to looove sweet condensed milk from a can. We also had some extra sweet and thick milk from a tube. Now when I think about it, it had to have like zylion calories :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Very decent run this morning. My legs felt heavy and my body stiff when I set out but by the end I felt amazing! Really proud of the zone 2 running too. I have always had a high hr when running but somehow today it was not super high. Week 2 of the Nike program :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

In two weeks, I have to run the 6.5-kilometer race, for which I train the whole year. I guess it will be a better result than last time, but I will also finish last in my company.:man_shrugging:t3:

And it seems like I have to buy anti-chafing creme. I have never thought that I would need it for such a relatively short distance.

4 Likes

Do you use a specific gear for the Nike program or just your smartphone? It sounds good to have some support for an effective training.

1 Like

Pah. Hello injury. Swollen heel and pain in right calf. Probably my dodgy Achilles and tendonitis. My joints are already 85 yo. I swear :rage:

4 Likes

I use vaseline for chafing. It doesn’t matter the distance to my thighs once it gets warm. I put a decent amount where my short line is before the run. I tried some of the stuff they market for anti-chafing but I had an allergic reaction. I follow a long distance runner on social media and he even takes some vaseline in a ziplock bag to reapply.

Re- the Nike app. You just download the app on your phone and pick a program. It will ask you some questions and then it puts a plan together. Each run has a guided and non guided option. I have done both. I like the guided ones for interval or if I’m just not feeling it that day and the non guided when I just want to be in my own head. I’m on week 3 of a 10K plan and this is what my week looks like

I won’t finish this one this week because I’m going hiking thurs- Sat. I will just pick up the plan where I left off when I get back sunday.

1 Like

Oh no!! That sounds painful :confounded: I hope you heal soon :heart:

1 Like

Thank you very much for this information!

I wanted to buy anti-chafing cream for Decathlon, but vaseline seems to be the obvious solution.:+1:t3:

I will definitely try the app. It sounds perfect to me.

1 Like

I also use Vaseline! I keep a small tube of it in a pocket on hot days - taking a shower after a long hot run is always the best/worst (best bc it’s relaxing; worst for surprise stings)!

3 Likes

Therapy and AA and here for sobriety.

Exercise for mental and physical health. My life is a bit tumultuous and that’s mostly outside of my control. Setting a new PR in the 10k, however, was something I felt like I could do.

7 Likes

Hey all, I just went out and bought some new running shoes today. Now I’m going to start running again. I think I need to go back to the beginning. So looking for good plans. I want something that will tell me what speeds to set on the treadmill for how long etc. Does the app discussed above give speeds too??

5 Likes

I actually used to have an app that was a tabata timer and I could set my own run/walk intervals. But I forget what it was called. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I primarily run outside so I haven’t had the need to try a treadmill run on the Nike app. I tried out the Runna app and it plans your runs like nike and they have an option to run outside or treadmill but it was $20 a month. I didn’t feel it was worth the price. I went and looked on the nike app and they have some treadmill runs.

It’s worth checking out. I’ve also used runkeeper and they have plans on their app. It will really just boil down to what helps you get it done.
There is a WOD app that has a tabata timer. I’m not sure if that’s the one you used but it’s a decent app.

1 Like

The peloton app also has workouts for treadmill - and you don’t need the peloton equipment; you can buy a subscription for just the app, and have access to aaaaaaaall the workouts (I enjoy the bootcamps - which are HITT workouts)!

1 Like

Was up early so went out early, lovely and cool, and managed 5.6 km (with one walk break). That is my longest run ever!

6 Likes

I was making all kind of excuses in my head to stay at home today and not run but I forced myself and I’m happy about it. Good run.

5 Likes

I was hoping to not pay anything and it seems as though every app is now “free” with paying for ANY kind of feature. Argh. I feel like there were good free apps before.

But I found a 25 minute interval run on Fitbit app. I’m gonna give it a go today. Though I won’t do it as “speed intervals” but run/walk instead.

1 Like

A very forced meh run. The wind was blowing hard, the sun was out beating me down and my back is flared up and hurting. I think I’ll do my next run sunday when I get back from hiking. I was trying to force some runs from my program before I left tomorrow but I don’t want to be hurting anymore than I already am.

2 Likes

Audiobook for my drive today

4 Likes