Running in Recovery in 2024

Crappy run this morning. I usually do 5 or 6 songs, walk a song, 4 or 5 songs. Did the first 5 songs, walked a song but could not keep it going the latter half. Don’t know if it was achey legs from a strength workout on Monday, the increasing heat, just one of those days, but could barely make it through a song before I just petered out.
Telling myself the only bad run is the one you don’t do.

9 Likes

Facts!!! Good job giving it a go! :tada:

@Englishd You are so fast!!! Nice run!

6 Likes

whew! Tried to go far and ended up walking for a mile after this. It would have been a little over 7 miles but I ran out of gas.

3 Likes

Nicely done that you got out there and did the thing!!

I have been going through a lot lately, and even though I was dressed to go…I just couldn’t muster up the gusto to do it, and I’m really mad at myself; I know runs help - but I just did stretching instead. Maybe that’s what I needed today?

4 Likes

And fitting in with the theme of the day… I set out for 5 but did a weak 3.5 and walked in. Haven’t been able to get a good run since the Half a couple weekends ago.

2 Likes

I’m trying to reassure myself it will get easier again. My foot and achilles were acting up today and then I was doing more walking than running so I just called it quits.
In a weird way I’m happy to not be alone on the struggle bus today :joy:

2 Likes

Anyone wanna come to Toronto to walk up the CN Tower with me this fall? :star_struck: Message me if you do and we’ll coordinate a date; I’m flexible.

5 Likes

This is something ive wanted to do for a while now.
I lift weights at least 5 days a week and walk quite alot and cycle and as im a chef im on my feet all day aswell,but ive felt for a while that i should be getting my heart pumping alot more.i was told that walking a decent distance was as good as running but im not sure on that advice.
I was told short sprints were good for cardio instead of distance but im not sure how to go about even starting

2 Likes

My experience is walking at fast pace (from 6 km/h to 6.5) for at least 45mins a day, ideally 60mins, 5 days per week for one month, gives you a very very solid ground for running and to my surprise at least for me it had impact on healthy and effective running technique. Then I started to run (running shoes are a must - for me Nike Pegasus, or Asics - depends also on your type of foot, get advice from store) first 2km, then added 1 another after a week - it really depends, but I strongly recommend to start with very few KMs even you would feel strong enough to make more. There are few solid reasons why I’m stating that. After a month or two, you might end up at doing 10 KMs. It’s a whole science behind running, recommend to buy some magazine there you’ll get some good piece of knowledge. Enjoy and remember 80/20 rule - 80% of running time per month up until Z2 heart rate zone, 20% as fast as you can but at pace you can keep for up to 45mins to one hour. However I put it very easily, ask AI on more if you want - my point was that many people think they’ll get faster and stronger at running when they run as fast as they can - ironically, it’s quite the opposite.

4 Likes

This is great advice,thanks a lot👍🏻

I did this a few years ago and whew!! I look forward to your account of climbing that tower :grin:

5 Likes

So, can one just show up at the CN Tower and go up the stairs?

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted to do that. How was it?

3 Likes

I have no idea. I know there are stair-walking events, fundraisers etc, at the CN Tower regularly, so I assume you just have to ask. I’ll figure it out :innocent:

2 Likes

I really enjoyed it. It was a huge jump in elevation for me, just being in Colorado and then the hike itself gains a lot in such a short period. I had to stop multiple times to catch my breath. There is plenty of room for people to stop and others still continue. About halfway they have a little area where you can stop and sit and just hang out, that’s also the area for a bail out. They have a trail back down if someone thinks they can’t continue. There were some areas so steep I had to bear crawl because my fear of heights was activated. I totally recommend it though. The town there is super cute

3 Likes

I read about it in Runner’s World a long time ago and have always wamted to do it. Sounds great!

3 Likes

6 Likes

Nice easy 5k before work earlier. I have NEVER done a zone 1 run, like ever :joy: My Hr is always high during running.

Nice to see you back to posting @zzz

5 Likes

Suns out!! Nice run!!

3 Likes

Not really good in terms of pace. I actually walked for few intervals a bit. It’s comeback after injury. Good to be back at it :+1:

5 Likes