Share your hobbies

That’s like me, jack of all trades but master of none lol. I still love it and I am NEVER bored! :grin:

Yeah we added the fairy lights, nice little touches. Finally making a home instead of a living space.

1 Like

Ha ah that’s amazing it’s so good to find something where you can find your happy place!

1 Like

Among my other hobbies I have mentioned on the forum, I have been growing succulents and cacti for a few years now. Made me first pickup of the season today, now that we are getting warmer weather and decent, consistent sun.

I “rescued” these from Home Depot, who make a practice of keeping their succulents in the dark, as well as significant over-watering. These are tough to kill, but starving them of sunlight and drowning them are the two surefire ways to do it. These are desert plants, adapted to an arid climate. They don’t seem to get it.

Anyhow, I managed to scoop these up before they were too far gone. I actually know the delivery schedule at HD so I can optimize my chances :wink:

Just potted them up in fresh soil. I’ll post an update in 30-60 days. After a few months of proper care, they really begin to flourish (bigger, more symmetry, deeper colors, etc)

7 Likes

I have killed so many succulents through that exact combination of not enough light and too much water :see_no_evil: Also probably not bought them from the right place.

Am determined to get it right though, maybe repotting (as well as more light/less water) would help… Do they prefer to be in a bigger pot, and is there a particular soil type to use? And do you just put stones on the top layer, or put them at the bottom too to help drainage?

P.s. if you have pictures of your other succulents would love to see them, they’re so nice.

2 Likes

Fishing. I could fish for a living. Born to fish forced to work :grin:

2 Likes

I used to fish back in NY but here in the Az. desert im not sure what bait to use for lizards and snakes. So now I golf and chase my kids.

1 Like

Believe me, I’ve killed plenty myself. Water every 7-10 days maximum. A thorough soaking, and then nothing. The key to remember: You can fix underwatering, but you cannot undo overwatering. Golden rule.

The pot size depends on the size of the plant. I’ve actually put a smaller plant into a bigger pot, and the plant grew to fit. I think the most important thing is that the pot is not too small. When in doubt, go larger.

I just put stones on top for decoration, but you are correct, putting them in the bottom helps. The most important thing is that there are drainage holes at the bottom of the pot.

They make/sell soil specific for cacti/succulents. It is looser, doesn’t retain moisture, and has bits of sticks and rocks in it. Most garden centers should have it! :slight_smile:

I have no other succulents at this moment. I can’t keep them alive through a full winter here, even with grow lights (I do try, though…I almost made it, last one died about a month ago). But by mid-summer, I will have probably over a dozen.

3 Likes

Lol perhaps try to put a fly on a fishing line to lure a lizzard or 2 :rofl: also enjoy playing with my kids, more so when im sober :grin:

1 Like

Amazing tips! I keep mine inside because outdoors in England (especially the North West) isn’t really hot, sunny, or dry enough :joy:

I have one that’s survived since last summer though so I know it’s possible.

1 Like

Coming along. Again. :rofl::joy::rofl:

Only took me a few hours to get to this point this time. Last time it took me daaayyyyys.

7 Likes

retired landscaper but still doing what i like doing

10 Likes

Wow, beautiful work, Ray!

still get asked to do some work doing raised beds for veg at the moment , and local hotel want me to stay on as head gardener keeps me out of the wifes road lol

2 Likes

8 Likes

Sewing night! Found the tear at the top of my pack I forgot about.

Darn it.

Always check yer gear. :+1:

4 Likes

Next you will be making them to order!

1 Like

Ray if you’re in or around Cheshire and want some work to keep you busy… My garden is a complete mess :joy:

1 Like

And maybe a trip to finland as well? My garden needs serious maintenance :joy:

1 Like

There you go @Ray_M_C_Laren I think that’s called a working holiday! Free board and food of course :grin:

1 Like