Side effects of quiting

What would be the side effects of going through withdrawal? Time frame of when they should be expected?

2 Likes

Alcohol? There is a timeline graph thing floating around the forum somewhere. I think that @siand might have an idea of where it is. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hope it wont be 2 bad and remember that sobriety is worth it

Which substance do you want to know about withdrawal for?

@Dejavu has a spreadsheet for this.

1 Like

A video repeatedly advocated here is Roadmap to Recovery, which goes through the physical & emotional effects of the first 6 months of recovery. View it here:

4 Likes

On a minor scale…sugar cravings. NEVER was a sweets person, but carb detox is legit. Walked past the alcohol section and went to the Valentine’s Day aisle. I don’t advise this. Those damn candy hearts. Blew through a bag of ‘em last night.
Can’t have it in the house. Cottage cheese and mango are sweet.
I have one more bag o’ candy hearts then I’m looking for an app to get clean of those things.
My sleep patterns are outta whack, too. I’m on Day 18. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

This would be for alcohol. Sorry I didn’t add that in there

1 Like

Alcohol, trying to get away from beer

1 Like

I was going to link to the Roadmap to Recovery video that @thajokernl shared, but @marcusmaximus2000 got there first :grin:

2 Likes

My weakness is beer and wine. I look at my recycle bin and know that ALL of that was cycled through my liver and brain.
(just polished off last bag of candy hearts. I’m not buying candy anymore!)

Watch the video. Really take the time and let it soak in.

In basics addiction is one disease no matter the substance it works the same way in our brain.

It screws up the natural behavior of the dopamine system. And depending on duration of use and the substance it might alter receptors a bit to treat feelings differently is what I’ve learned.

It’s been said that Alcohol is in the same category as Heroin cocaine an nicotine when going through recovery.

Good that you are trying to prepare for what’s coming in te following months. It helped me so much to be expecting what was coming, the not sleeping the feelings of anxiety and depression. But if you know it is really your mind restoring to its best shape. You can get through it.

:pray:t2:

5 Likes

What’s the ine drug?

O… Stupid I was thinking in dutch :joy:
Heroin cocaïne nicotine…

In Holland it is
Heroine cocaïne en nicotine.

I thought that you were saying alcohol withdrawal was just like heroin withdrawal. I was going to say I didn’t realise that it was that bad. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I modified my reply. :innocent:

I saw it mate :+1::slightly_smiling_face: saw it after I replied though.

Omg I could have written this Joules Wine and Beer here sometimes both. My sugar cravings are threw the roof pop(soda) and chocolate are my cravings said to BF so not having this in house lol Have to say did get me through this weekend as it was a bit rough. So I’ll will keep something ill try sherbert hehehe. Recycled bin for me holds pop cans now who would of thought I’m still shocked. I’m still awaiting withdraws I know they will come insomnia will kick in. Right now I’m having lots of Alcohol drinking dreams :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Hi JDillard, for me right now is sugar and a bit of Insomnia is hasn’t gotten to bad yet. Also I’m dreaming about Drinking Alcohol dont know if that’s a withdraw symptom but I’m sooo having them.

alcohol-withdrawal-timeline-chart

I drank the equivalent of a pint of hard alcohol a day, sometimes more, sometimes less, for over 10 years and most everyday 10 years prior. I had mild withdrawal symptoms; shakey hands, night sweats, insomnia, irritability, foggy head. Nothing too bad. The worst lasted a week or 2. By day 6, the worst was over and each day was slightly better than the previous.

5 Likes