Sleep Aid remedy!

Well I’m off to bed was wondering what do you think of a sleep aid. I take 1 PM tylenol maybe 4 times a week to help me sleep. Any opinion on this?

1 Like

I don’t have any medical training, so I’m sure someone more knowledgeable can chime in but I’ve always been under the impression that Tylenol and the OTC pain killers can be rough on your liver. I try to avoid them unless I really need it. I could be wrong though!

Personally I use melatonin a few nights a week when I need something since it’s natural. It helps me fall asleep but I still wake up a bunch throughout the night. I’ve been told there are OTC sleep aids that can specifically help you fall asleep or stay asleep depending on your need; I try not to spend the money though.

2 Likes

I prefer Z-quil…always put me to sleep :slightly_smiling_face::sleeping:

1 Like

L-Theanine, Passion flower, Ashwagandha(anxiety) valerian root, lemon balm, chamomile, GABA, Melatonin, 5-HTP.

Hope this helps give you some things to try. Would rather take ibuprofen over tylonel IMO.

2 Likes

Not sure how Tylenol helps you in sleeping. Do you have pain preventing you from sleeping? If so OK. It’s by far the safest painkiller on the market. Ibuprofen and all other NSAID’s are much worse for your body, firstly for your stomach. In the end it’s best to try to sleep without anything. Melatonine should be well dosed and timed. It’s a hormone which is taken way too easily IMO. Anyway. success on sleeping. I slept too little… Not a MD here BTW, but a RN.

3 Likes

I took Melatonin, which is the sleep inducing hormone. It helps you fall asleep if taken properly and doesn’t make you groggy like antihistamines do.

Now I fall asleep in a snap, so no need for pharma.

Tylenol PM has an antihistamine added to aid in sleep.

1 Like

OK, didn’t understand the PM. Thanks. I have a a packet of Benadryl I took from the US over a year ago. I take one maybe one once a month. Feels like cheating a bit I must admit. Over here the active ingredient in Benadryl has long ago been abandoned as antihistamine (or anything else) bc of the sedative properties.

1 Like

I do not know Tylenol.
I work in a health store, so I know a little about sleep aid :hugs:
At first: do you know where your sleeping problems are coming from? Is it because you just quit your addiction? Are you worrying in bed? Do you use prescripted medication? What are you doing before bedtime? Other health problems?

What you can try without answering the above questions is camomile tea ore valerian tea.
Melatonin you can try to but like Menno said be carefull with that one. Buy a low dose if you wanna try and don’t use it every day. If you don’t use it properly it can even make your sleep worse.

1 Like

I rely on tea, calcium and magnesium supplementation and melatonin. I am quite sure, as a psoriasis sufferer, that I have a melatonin deficiency. However, if you don’t it can cause a counter effect.

I have tried it all over the years…and had an addiction to Ambien for many years as well. The key for me has been finding something that doesn’t leave me groggy in the AM as I like getting up early (for me) to run in the mornings.

The ones that help me the best are…

• kicked up benadryl (a prescription antihistamine)

• melatonin around 3 mg timed release

• calcium and magnesium supplement

I cycle thru these individually, they all tend to leave me a bit groggy, but they do afford me more quality sleep time.

Good luck and I hope you find what works best for you.

3 Likes

Thanks to all of you I will for sure try some more natural renedies

1 Like

I take tylenol (or paracetamol as it’s called on this side of the Atlantic) for back pain, never made me drowsy…

I used to take melatonin but it gave me terrible nightmares. I tried valerian, even worse nightmares. Now I just do chamomile tea and Benadryl. Plus, I do actually suffer from hayfever so the Benadryl has a double usage :grin:

3 Likes

Oh no my mind doesn’t need any nightmares

1 Like

I drink valerian root tea every single night. (Edit: I guess it gave @BOBISGONE1 nightmares, so maybe dont try that one. Lol.) It works fine for me though. I kid you not, if i combine that with some Benadryl, it knocks me out every time. I used to have a really big problem with insomnia

I also used to take 5-htp and Melatonin. The former worked more consistently than the latter for me. They are both herbal remedies, OTC

1 Like

And there are non addictive sleep aids. Your doc might recommend something.

That includes those without acetaminophen which doesn’t really do much for sleep (is for pain relief/fever and bad for a healing liver).

Me, I like (no caff) Sleepy Time tea. I dunno if it’s really the tea or the daily ritual a la Pavlov, but I have a cup each night when it’s time to wind down and fall right asleep.

Me: Tea time.
Body: YO, we got tea incoming, time to shut it down!

4 Likes

this is what i take to knock. Me out takes about 25 minutes for it to start kicking in …

2 Likes

Haha, I guess it effects different people differently. I told a friend who swears by valerian about my nightmare problem and she said she’d been sleeping like a baby with it. :grin:

1 Like

Ok cool thanks

Wow never knew

1 Like