So.. I'm new here

I’m new to the sober living, like, 3 days in. I didn’t necessarily drink every day but I couldn’t wait for the weekend. I could never have just one, or two, I would drink until I was black out drunk. I grew up in a family of alcoholics, my parents still drink constantly every day. So needless to say it started to scare me. I’m a mom of 3 and I don’t want my kids childhood to be like mine was. I haven’t told friends, because I don’t want the judgement, or feel like they are acting weird around me etc. This is all so new to me. This is hard for me to even share this on here, but I’m hoping for encouragement and friendships from some like minded people, on this scary yet I know will be so rewarding journey to sobriety. P.S. it was nice waking up this morning, and not feeling hungover. I felt a sense of accomplishment. :slight_smile:

34 Likes

Welcome Nicole! It’s nice to meet you. Its obvious you want a better life for yourself. You are showing so much courage opening up about it. I am sure you will find it.

The early days are wonderful, as you cleanse and start feeling the positives of not drinking. It’s a good time to find other activities to do with your new free time. Cooking, walks, photography, reading, crafts - the list goes on and on! (And there’s a thread for just about all those things here - search around and you’ll find some great ones.)

It’s also a good time to learn a bit about recovery and sober, fully present for today living :innocent: There’s a lot of good threads of readings and groups and podcasts - this one is one of my faves:
Resources for our recovery

It’s good to see you Nicole. Remember: you’re a good person, a worthy person, who deserves a safe, sober life where you can be your full self, fully present. You belong, and you matter.

6 Likes

Welcome and well done making a positive change!

3 Likes

Thank you !

1 Like

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @npine!
Congratulations on the decision to take your life back!
Now that you have the first 3 days down and are feeling good, the next step is to have a plan. And this plan is for yourself, no one else. Meaning you don’t have to tell anyone until you are ready.
Read through these threads, and see what resonates with you. I guarantee you will find stories that sound similar to yours.
I researched alcoholism non stop or read on here during all my free time. It kept/keeps me motivated, and I’m always comforted knowing I’m not alone. Prep yourself for that next weekend. Drink replacements, activities, etc.
The more I understood about alcohol and addiction, the better I felt about fighting it. Don’t worry about slapping a label on yourself. Just do you, sober, one day at a time.
And reach out when you are feeling weak or need help.
I wish you luck on your new journey!
:v:t3:

3 Likes

Reading this made me teary. Thank you.

1 Like

Welcome Nicole and congrats on making the best decision of your life. Come here often and keep interacting. I look forward to following your journey.

3 Likes

You deserve a safe life; you deserve to not be running. Addiction is escape, addiction is avoidance, numbness, running away. You deserve to live present, today, yourself.

You’ve taken an important first step. Take it one day at a time, and never stop trying: every day is your day, to be present in the ups and the downs. And they’re all better, sober :innocent:

You should be proud of your choice. You have a right to be proud of it. It’s understandable that you’re nervous. Anyone would be. But you are making a wise, courageous choice, and you’re beginning a journey that has ups and downs but is without question a journey of safety and success.

We’re here with you. :innocent:

1 Like

Hi @npine, welcome! It’s lovely to meet you :pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the advice. I am notorious for “giving up” and I really don’t want that to be the case :confused:

2 Likes

I appreciate it… thank you so much.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome! We have ALL been new here, which makes this a great place to be. Sounds like you are doing this for all the right reasons ( not that there is a wrong) and the beauty of this place…no one holds judgment. Just understanding and support while we get our shit together. Very excited you joined!

5 Likes

I know what you mean.
It’s never just one or two, it’s always overboard.
And I also havent really talked to many people about it. Just because its personal for me.
The support here is really helpful though for those days that I just feel really shitty about it all.

3 Likes

Thank you, and I agree. I’m really glad we all have each other here. I really hope I’m able to stay on track being apart of this community.

2 Likes

Welcome Nicole :wave:
As you can see, there are lots of great people here to help support each other on our journey. Have a good read around you’ll find you have a lot in common with some of the folks on here.
We all have a plan. We’re not drinking today. It’s the only day that matters.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

Welcome :pray:. This place can be super helpful if you utilize it. Congratulations on pursuing a better life for you and your kids.

Welcome and congrats! Sobriety is a difficult, but rewarding journey. You made a great decision to go down the path of sobriety!

1 Like

Thank you! You have too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to sobriety! This is my first week as well. I’m also the daughter of heavy drinkers. My dad was able to drop the drink cold turkey in his 40’s. Mom never did. Living with a single alcoholic mother made me grow up very fast and I told myself I’d never act like her.
But when I finally got out living on my own, and got older, my drunk behaviour began to look oddly familiar.
I am not a mom yet, but I want to be, and I couldn’t do that to my children.
So much respect girl! Good work and keep it up! You are strong, and when you don’t feel it, we are all here for you!

1 Like