So tired of being tired

Hi Everyone so I took a shot and downloaded this app to try to get some support. Last night I cried myself to sleep (not the first time) because I was so drunk and disgusted with myself. I am not sure why last night was different but I think I really took a step back to see what I am doing to myself. I have a wonderful job, family, friends, home, and a lot of things many people are not fortunate to have. I do not know why I continue to binge drink and just get so drunk I don’t even know what I am doing. I know how it feels to have a clear head but I continue to do this and I do not want to throw away all the good things I have over booze. Any advice for those who are new to trying to get sober would be so appreciated. Especially navigating through the holidays and functions. Thank you!

14 Likes

Hey :slight_smile: and welcome! What is your reason for drinking in the first place?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Take a good read around around and you’ll find a lot of similarities. Here’s a link to good place to start.

4 Likes

You definitely are not alone and pat your back for jumping on this forum for support! It’s never too early to get rid of alcohol before it does start to take away all the good things you have in your life. I read a lot of quit lit early on, and based on your post, I’d point out “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace as a good place to start. There are lots of people out there in similar circumstance to yours and are ready to kick booze. We are rooting for you!

5 Likes

Thank you! That is a really good question. I often find that I don’t have a particular reason it’s just become a habit. A horrible habit that I hate.

4 Likes

Welcome Nemo! You are in the right place to start a new journey to a better sober you. This post is one I found very helpful for getting through the holidays sober:

2 Likes

Welcome! Yes it is a lousy habit. Our addictions become habits because they get connected to reward centres in our brain. It’s that dopamine rush. We all do / did it.

Recovery is about changing habits. It is a process and it takes support and help. You did a brave thing and an important thing reaching out for help. There’s lots of wisdom here.

This is one of my fave threads for learning:

Resources for our recovery

You’re a good person and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self.

3 Likes

I use to wonder why i drank, even when i shouldn’t, when it caused me problems, when i had other obligations, when i couldnt legally, when it caused me health problems. Because im an alcoholic and id drink till eventually it would kill me. So i can understand the uncontrollable emotions, crying and disgusting rage, what a drink does to me is just the same story of Jekyll and hyde’s. Glad to hear your ready to start on your journey in recovery. Maybe look into AA get a copy of the Big Book if you enjoy a good book. I wish u well and good to see you here

2 Likes

Hi and welcome :pray: I felt just like you and took the plunge too, that was almost 7 weeks ago and I can’t believe my achievement. Start by telling those closest to you whats going on, how your feeling and your intentions to quit alcohol. Its not easy and it is very humbling to admit to those closest to you that you have a problem, chances are though that they already know. I found reading lots of sober literature really helpful, avoiding triggers, working out and basically making alcohol my number 1 enemy and doing whatever it takes in order not to drink. The first 2 weeks were the hardest for me. Wishing you the best of luck :heart:

1 Like