Sober All Sports

Today Sjoukje Dijkstra died. A name that won’t say anything to you, but she was such a household name in my early youth, winning a gold medal at the 1964 Innsbruck Winter Olympics, the first ever Dutch(wo)man to do so. Really a sporting icon and a National Hero. Rest in Power Sjoukje.

6 Likes

Quiet here. Two things for me: I might have to be in bed even earlier so I can get up and watch the 4th quarter of the upcoming Mavs - Celtics series. Or anyone still thinking another match up’s possible? Going to be something. I know some Celtics fans here. And if they win it it will be well earned. But I’m a Luka man, and together with Kyrie anything’s possible. Something to look forward to.

In Dutch and family sports news, my nephew Simon for the very first time beat the German World Champion Olli Zeidler in single sculls rowing. Not a bad dress rehearsal as it was the last big race before the Paris Olympics this summer.

6 Likes

Congratulations to your nephew!! Yay Simon!! :star::star::1st_place_medal::star::star:
Here’s the whole race now released.

5 Likes

An awesome week for sports. I’m looking forward to these events.

Tonight: Timberwolves vs. Mavs

Saturday: UFC 302 Makhachev vs. Poirer

I can’t wait for fight night. I love having boys night with my boys… First one sober, I’m going to make it so special!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that Alisa

Way to go Simon… congratulations to your nephew @Mno :tada::tada:

2 Likes

Haven’t been reading or posting on any threads lately but life is going pretty good. Lots of recovery, family, faith, work and time with my cat.

Had to come on to say lets go Oilers. Finals bound. Been an Oilers fan for decades.

Congrats @Mno and Simon.

Looking forward to see luka take down the celtics. The celtics are good and a fantastic franchise but luka is already one of the best I’ve seen.

In real life I have been playing twice a week volleyball games with my recovery community, riding my bicycle to work and playing 18 holes of golf once a week so far this season. Life is good.

p.s. you are amazing. Ya you!!

7 Likes

Always good to see you Brian. And it makes me glad to see you doing so well. There were a couple of years when the NHL was on open air TV here in the 80’s. Loved seeing Wayne Gretzky and the Oilers back then. Wishing you all success with the Oilers friend, and with everything in your life. You are amazing!

3 Likes

Yeah, channel 4 used to air hours of NHL on here in the 90s and that’s when I got into the NJ Devils…I used to tape it and watch it with my little brother at the weekend with snacks. He became a huge NHL fan as well, we loved it, though he supported Chicago Red Wings if I remember right.

I still do love the NHL, it’s definitely my US based sport, apart from NWSL.

4 Likes

So because of your occasional wearing of Devils gear, for a long while I thought you were American despite some retrospectively obvious British-isms. Just very unusual to see hockey gear in England in my few experiences.

For some reason, you and @TrustyBird are linked in my head…think maybe you joined TS around the same time? I don’t know. But there’s a link, and I thought you were the American and Emilie was English. I had it backwards all along until a few weeks ago!

8 Likes

Funny that you picked up on this @TMAC. @Tragicfarinelli and I are kindred spirits I think. We chat about life behind the scenes of TS. She is a rad British cat Mama and I am a rad American cat Mama. But we are buddies, I’m glad it shows. :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

Yeah! :ice_hockey: :goal_net: I am super pumped for this series :star_struck:

IMG_4693

2 Likes

And possible sisters from different transatlantic misters @TMAC . Emilie is my TS rock :heart::heart:

6 Likes

Ditto. As a sidebar we reached out to each other when we realized we had similar stories and ideologies. It has been lovely to get to know someone from this platform on a deeper level. You make my struggles easier sister. 🩷

Plus we both have brother kitties. :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

5 Likes

I’m waiting for the evil twin accounts, TrustyFarinelli and TragicBird

7 Likes

Oh, now that’s a plot twist I would be up for. :smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

4 Likes

TragicBird will be my band name.

5 Likes

When I typed out “TragicBird”, I definitely took a moment thinking huh, I LIKE that!

3 Likes

Let’s go CELTICS!

Championship #18, here we come

boston-celtics-boston

3 Likes

3 Likes

Thanks. I forgot :grimacing:

1 Like