Sober camper

Hey guys, going camping this weekend. There will be alcohol around. What are some things I can do around the campfire besides drinking beer and smoking cigarettes? So far I am thinking guitar, sketching during the day and maybe like braiding a bracelet or something? Idk. Ideas welcome!

5 Likes

Those are great ideas! Will you be where you can swim or kayak? Those will keep me sober this summer when I go

2 Likes

I always bring adult coloring books and games too

2 Likes

Hiking/adventuring, cooking, sketching, meditating? I love camping and the mountains especially. Go every weekend and take it in as my short of time for sober solitude.

2 Likes

Practice firemaking skills. Could save your life one day. Get an edible plants guide, and stroll about and see if you can identify 5 edible plants. Could save your life one day. Get a kubb kit and learn to play, or better yet, make your own from what’s available. Is fishing an option? Carve a spoon and a cup. Find a place and meditate. All kinds of things to do.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Best coffee evah! My girlfriend wakes up with me super early and we have coffee on the weekends, our camp coffee beats everywhere else hands down

5 Likes

I am going to a sober camping weekend. They offer 24 hour meeting games, crafts, music, meditation,yoga etc. But I am bringing lots of books, beach chair (No beach lol) bikes and hiking shoes. I also bring bubbly water to sit around the fire. We make braclets too. Try not to focus on the fact that your not drinking just enjoy the company and the outdoors. You’ll be grateful in the morning. Have fun.

1 Like

I do “Jarhead Java” in my camping French Press…Corn Beef Hash, and Eggs. The coffee pulls my wife out of the tent, and the cornbeef hash gets my daughter moving…

That’s EXACTLY how we do it!

1 Like

Well I’m not sure what the jarhead java is but we do coffee lmao

I agree. The purpose of camping (for me) is to unplug, and decivilize. Never saw a wine or a beer tree.

2 Likes

Have a blast! Camping is one of my all-time favorites things ever. I was so sad the year technology worked at camp, I have a strict no technology rule there except for taking pictures and checking in when I charge my phone in the car foe more pictures.

2 Likes

I was really nervous about my first sober camping trip, and also not having access to this forum. I can remember wanting to download stuff on my phone that I could access offline. I had good alternative favorite drinks with me, like kombucha, and gave myself a couple of time outs away from people. It was not easy, but it gets easier the next time if you stick it out. Have fun!!

4 Likes

Jarhead Java…best coffee evah!

My favorite was from whole foods, pleasant morning buzz. May have been the name that drew me to it lol but I loved it!

Those pictures are beautiful!! I love camping so much, definitely haven’t tried it Sober, but would have no issues doing it. Being present in a place like that sounds so serene. Nothing can beat that.

Exactly. I’ve never been sober there either but I will be this year!! Its where i reconnect with myself so it makes sense to be sober. I feel most alive and at peace at camp. I like Steve’s analogy about no beer or wine trees lol.

3 Likes

Ooo I like the idea of wood carving. Thanks!

1 Like

Also, if you have any tokens of your sobriety or even a meaningful post you can print and bring along, do It! Those little reminders REALLY help!