Sober day 3, I need help!

I just found this and it really helped. I was just about to give up.

4 Likes

Thank you!!

Congrats on Day 3! I’m on Day 5 and know how you feel. When I’m off work I’ve been watching streaming series and have been reorganizing my house. I feel so much better even this early and that’s a huge motivation for me.

5 Likes

Hi this is a great audiobook that helped me a lot it’s by Laura McKowen called We Are the Luckiest

7 Likes

I’m on day 13 tomorrow. I scrubbed every bit of the kitchen a couple of days ago my anxiety is high and cravings were really getting to me. The legs of the table, chairs, cupboards, grout! You name it. I had a toothbrush if that tells how time consuming i intended it to me. We’ve gotta do what we’ve gotta do. Stay strong! You’re not alone in these thoughts or feelings :purple_heart:

5 Likes

Welcome! Early sobriety comes with that. Power through, and it will get a lot easier to not constantly think of it. Here are some recources:

Resources for our recovery

My favs were the recovery elevatory, the mental illness happy hour and the Recovering by Leslie Jamieson.

Good luck!

4 Likes

I think at the start i started readinh russell brands book and started rhe exercises in that. I also spent time really committing to it and watching way too many box sets. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you for this @HoofHearted. Really informative. I watched the BBC show last night after reading this post :pray:
Have you listened to the Huberman Lab podcast - What Alcohol Does to Your Body, Brain & Health. I can’t recommend it enough. He also does one with Dr. Anna Lembke who talks about dopamine’s role in addiction. Great if you find the science helpful (I do) xx

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this @JazzyS
Love a podcast ! I have an hour commute each way so the perfect time to digest these. Thank you :pray: X

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this. What a treasure trove of resources. Ace :heart: X

2 Likes

Congratulations on the 3 days and your super clean house. If you find you need to keep your brain occupied just in general… now that you’re not wasting your time drinking anymore, have a look what free courses you can access. From open university, local college or coursera. There is always a selection of completely free courses, others are free to access but charge if you require an official certificate.
Try something new: first aid for pets, sign language introduction, food hygiene,…
:squid:

1 Like

Early days when i got sober there wasnt any internet at that time so no pod casts or celb giving advice just AA meetings but today there is plenty of help out there i joined a gym in early sobriety and off course my friends from my meetings helped me face to face , as i said plenty of resources out there to help you wish you well

3 Likes

I would suggest do some hiking or journaling to help preoccupy your mind and try to get your mind state off of your addiction. I know it’s easier said than done but it’s totally worth it in the long run. My worst day sober is better than my best day intoxicated and I found that a hobby that I lojg thought dead was still alive and well when I finally got smoke I have 83 days clean now and have turned out about a book of poetry and it really helps to be writing again. Hope that helps fun if you can’t take it a day at a time take it a minute at a time

2 Likes

Thank you so much!!

1 Like

That is smart, thank you!

1 Like

I will check those out thank you!

1 Like

I really appreciate you telling me I’m not alone, as that’s what it sometimes feels like… Thank you!!!

1 Like

I love quit lit and read a few per month.
I bookmarked this post and return to it when I am stumped.

Next up for me is Drink by Anne Johnston. Welcome. Dig in here and read around and reach out when you need assistance.

1 Like

Knitting, crochet, felting whilst watching TV.
You could start making Christmas crafts now, like tree decorations then sell them for charity at Christmas.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for this!!!

1 Like