Sober Selfies #19 (NO swimwear, shirts required, please review rules)

UPDATE: I got the job. I just have to pass the background check. Hopefully they don’t find out I never graduated high school. I’ll be working as a Butcher at my local grocer with 3 meat department clerks under my supervision. I’m pretty stoked about it.

25 Likes

Congratulations!
IMG_1503

3 Likes

Congratulations :tada:… wishing you well on the background check :pray:t4:

They told me in AA “Give up all hope of a better past.”. And they helped me be forthcoming when I had to pass a background check for a new job, with my 5 DUI convictions. I’ve kept that job for 14 years now.

Even if it’s something relatively minor in your background check, particularly something that is just missing like the HS diploma, not taking your new employer about it can be interpreted by them that you are sneaky and not trustworthy. Next time it may be with bringing up at the appropriate time (like after they make an offer).

Can you challenge yourself, now that you are sober, to pursue your GED?

6 Likes

Yeah, I don’t have anything bad in my background at all. Just that I didn’t graduate high school. I have spent 18 years at the same job, with the same company, and I’ve had a great time and made a lot of money. I’m one of the best in my field and have helped mold the industry. However, it’s time for me to move on to something new and different.

That’s great how your program has worked for you. Isn’t it wonderful how everyone has their own program? Although AA helped me initially with my recovery, I realized it was holding me back with all of its rules and restrictions. Some people absolutely need to make it their entire existence, and that’s totally cool, but it’s not me. Once I felt solid in my recovery, confident in my faith in God, and discovered other ways outside of AA as a program, I was able to leave the fellowship and live a sober life. I’ll be celebrating 4 years of continuous sobriety on Oct 3rd. Of course, I still come back every once in a while to review the steps and principles and remind myself of where I was born again. But I’ve been able to live a happy, healthy, faithful life with AA on the back burner.

Sneaky and untrustworthy - a risk I was willing to take. It’s just a grocery job. The real reason I am getting my GED is to apply to law enforcement and become either a police officer or a border patrol agent. I have contacts in both. But that’s a job I don’t want to lie to.

Yes, I’ve already begun pursuing my GED and have taken the Reading and Language Arts assessment tests. Classes begin Oct 14th. Follow-up assessment tests after 4 weeks. Real tests after 8 weeks. Then they’ll allow me to move on to Math.

13 Likes

Like me and my brothers say “We got a plan!”. The extra info on your career plans is really great to hear, and puts your decisions in perspective.

AA should be the most flexible program going, but unfortunately many do want to be rigid about it. I used and continue to use a whole array of other tools to help grow and maintain my sobriety. AA and Talking Sober are the cornerstones for me. There are as many pathways to sobriety as there are alcoholics.

6 Likes

You should compete in the X Games one of these days! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

13 days :v:🩷:sparkles::pray:

46 Likes

Just porchin… Taking a little sober break and or escape from reality… :wave::smiley:

43 Likes

:wave:t2::wave:t2: nice to put a face to the name! :blush:

1 Like

Hello hello girl :wave:

1 Like

Look at this dork! :rofl:

570 Days!

Aaaaand

1 Month, 2 Days Nicotine-Free!

:v:t2::heart::metal:t2:

43 Likes

I haven’t been Tuna fishing since I quit fishing on the boat with the skipper who was being a reckless drunk and pissing me off.

I just got in from an EPIC trip! Im enjoying the natural high I feel today! Life is pretty good!

I caught a Mako Shark!

57 Likes

With friends after Jazzercise

44 Likes

On my way to an end of summer get together

47 Likes

If you look closley you can see the salmon
2 weeks :metal::v::stuck_out_tongue::smiling_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:🩷

53 Likes

Very cool! Way to go with your 2 weeks :muscle: :tada:

1 Like

Way to go Button :boom: :boom:
IMG_6339
Great job on the 2 weeks
:pray::heart:

I can’t see the salmon :cry:

6 Likes

131 Days
I’m just out here solo LIVIN
Hootie & the Blowfish / Collective Soul