Songs I'm Geeking On

May I introduce you to The New Basement Tapes a supergroup with members from Elvis Costello, Mumford and Sons, Dawes and more.

Their album, Lost on the river, was music written from lyrics found in a notebook that was penned by Bob Dylan. It’s a continuation of Dylan’s legacy as interpreted by these musicians.

This song is called Down on the Bottom. I love the bluesy feel and the lyrical content. Definitely worth cranking it up for this one.

When you’re down on the bottom, there’s no place to go, but up.

3 Likes
2 Likes

You only live once- The Strokes.

Amazing band live.

1 Like
1 Like

I L.O.V.E. this song! I can remember the first time I heard it; wow!! RIP Layne.

Thanks for posting!

1 Like

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me be your cigarette - Dax Riggs
Hair Receding - Xenia Rubinos

1 Like

I downloaded this song awhile back. I love it when I’m in a mood to just relax or take it easy .

1 Like

Absolutely.

2 Likes

Wow. Thank you. I now have a new favourite album.
I’ve just been revisiting Alice in chains, didn’t realise they carried on after Layne died. Not too sure about the newer stuff. Was listening to the first one when I saw this. Again, didn’t know this existed.
Wake up is so poignant!

1 Like

You’re welcome.
It was kind of a supergroup (Staley, McCready, Lanegan and a couple of others, I think).
They published just one album, “Above”.
I was hypnotized by it.

1 Like

And “Wake up” is poignant. Heart wrenching. And so true.
(and I guess that most of us can find themselves in these lyrics - Staley wrote them)

1 Like

Yeah, yea, I didn’t know about them till now. I’ve googled it and the band name came up in the AIC biog as well. So it was great to hear this.
As I said in the Tool thread, I don’t listen to music like I used to and it’s a shame because if I like a band I used to find out as much as I could about them. And this was before the internet mind you. So ment reading publications and album covers etc.
I think now is the time to catch up.
I got caught up in the 90’s dance scene and then drinking. So my music listening tended to stay with stuff I knew.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Out of all the musician deaths in my life, none stung more than his. I’ve never seen him perform and now, I never will.

On Dec. 26 2004 there was a tsunami that devastated the countries on the Indian ocean, over 220,000 people died that day.

About a month later, local bands put on a relief concert to raise money for victims of this disaster. On the bill was the Super Suckers, Sir Mix-a-lot, Anne and Nancy Wilson (Heart), and Alice in Chains with Wes Scantlin from Puddle of Mudd.on vocals. They also promoted special guets as well. The venue was one of the smaller venues in Seattle, holds about 1,100 people, very intimate.

I went to that show as it was as close to AIC I would get, and I am.so glad I did. Heart did an acoustic set followed by an AIC acoustic set. It was awesome, but to be honest, it felt anticlimactic based on the tone of the entire show. After AIC was done, Heart came back out and did a full electric set and followed by AIC!!! Now, this was a show! So at the end of the AIC set, they said they had a very special guest to help with the last 3 songs. Who walks out? None other than Maynard James fucking Keenan! I don’t know who recorded this, but thank god they did (this predates smart phones).

5 Likes

Thank you for posting this.
And, speaking of Layne’s death, I met a lot of people who felt it/lived it the same way (I’m one of them).
He was really unique.

2 Likes

Going back, I remembered Andrew Wood and how his death influenced the formation of a couple of GREAT bands.
So:

4 Likes

Amazing. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

You’re welcome! I just listened to this, probably first time in in 3 years, oh the feels and the goose bumps on the final chorus on Man in the Box!

1 Like

Dysentery Gary and Dammit-Blink 182.

Blink day at the gym :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Tonight I’ve been listening to Devilution by High on Fire.

If Motörhead and Slayer had a baby it would the spawn of satan that is High on Fire. Singer/Guitarist Matt Pike is America’s Lemmy.

Enjoy!