Spiritual experience appendix II

Thanks, Holly.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it is preachings such as this that led me away from AA and to SMART Recovery. I am a firm believer in God, what I donā€™t believe in is being told who my God is and how to have faith in such.

7 Likes

Slow. Clap. :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Thatā€™s some truth there. :blush:

We all get to have our own experience of what the truth is for ourselves.

Some people find strength and comfort in Christianity, Buddhism, Catholicism, Hinduism, etc. Others find strength and comfort in themselves or another path of spirituality. We all get to decide for ourselves what path we follow or not and whether or not religion or spirituality have any place in our own program of recovery.

Just as we each get to decide whether or not we follow or participate in this thread.

6 Likes

Wow. Your lack of Godly compassion for those on this forum with differing views is strong. Bless your heart.

Little known fact, I am the Daughter of a Southern Baptist Preacher. One who liked to drink. Iā€™ve heard every scripture youā€™re preaching from the pulpit and during drunken rants of my Father begging for salvation. What I was taught to never do is push my beliefs onto another individual. Even more so when they are here seeking answers and guidance, those that are brand new to sobriety. It is not our job to impose our views on those who are trying to find the path to sobriety that is right for them. Iā€™m happy that you had your spiritual experience, itā€™s wonderful, but every experience is different for each individual. Yours no more powerful or valuable then the next.

11 Likes

Everytime I go by this I laugh, lol

2 Likes

Hi Joel, nice to meet you. I too have a deeply spiritual aspect to my recovery. You mention that no one accesses God (or GOD) but through Christ. I would like to understand that better.

Tell me: what is Christ and the triune God? Whence Christ? Where is he in relation to God and the Holy Spirit?

1 Like

I have a higher power that helps me through my sobriety. It does not have a name and does not judge me or others for beliefs or life styles that they have. That being said I find religion in some aspects to just be another addiction for people to focus all there attention on instead of getting to the core roots of the issues that drove them to drink in the first place. I believe everyones recovery is different and there own path. I am glad you have found yoirs. Best of luck

8 Likes

And I would personally apologize and remind others that the program does not prescribe any particular faith, only encourages its members to discover wisdom greater than their own.

Despite what any given member may believe.

But then Iā€™m reminded I donā€™t speak for the program, only what worked for me.

Iā€™ve benefitted from a lot of wisdom from practicing Christians in sobriety. Perhaps Iā€™m among a minority, but Iā€™ve never had one press their faith on me in the rooms. Only an appeal to search for a perspective bigger than the one I walked in with.

The same can be said of many other faiths and rational thinkers Iā€™ve met, all who lifted me up from where I started.

Maybe it hasnā€™t strictly gotten me in good with any particular God (spiritually agnostic), but it gets me sober.

8 Likes

A big Jung fan here! Two other appropriate quotes attributed to Jung, both seem apt for this conversationā€¦

ā€œThe shoe that fits one person pinches another; there is no recipe for living that suits all cases.ā€

ā€œWe cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.ā€

12 Likes

Okay, I am going to go dig out my old copy of Memories Dreams, Reflections now!

2 Likes

I will forever use the reference ā€œsky daddyā€ now. Best thing ever. :joy::joy::joy:

9 Likes

Man this thread has really become an insightful thread about acceptance, fearless love, and letting go. This has actually taken a life of its own!

Talking Sober rocks - I love you guys :innocent:

9 Likes

All these texts out of the holy bible makes sense, atleast to me. However set in perspective, I have cells in my physical body that inhabits me. I am god to them. They are almost all new each day when I wake up but I wouldnt call them insignifical. In order, when they listen to my dna, is probably what I would call them. If they lecture eachother on how to follow the dna or what ever they call the code is irrelevant to me, as long as they follow the code. I draw air, eat, sleep, excercise and love. I am a giving host. Still, when they do everything right they break down and die and become food for new cells. Insignificant? What physical good would I be without them? They are all equally important to me. I dont dub either one of them a king cell, or pope cell and I treat then equal wether they vote democrat dna or republican dna. I love them all wether they call me god or higher power, shiva or allah. Wether they know it or not they are all equally important to me as I am to earth, as earth is to sun, as sun is to the milky way, and so on. This goes on for ever I imagine, both ways.
Now, whatever you call it is not as important as to try to be good to your surroundings.
I remember how it was when I didnt follow the code. When I was active. If I catch cells not following the dna I break out in fever and I burn those fuckers straight off.
I am not saying this is exactly how it is, but to me it feels like it.
Its all just words anyways. Written by a body of a soul/mind sharing the same spirit as the reader, I believe. Love :heart:

1 Like

I was about to say the same thing :hugs: I love the turn this thread has taken. Possibly not the concept the OP was going for, but at least thereā€™s something for everyone.

3 Likes

Edit: Well, it was about ā€œspiritual experienceā€ - Iā€™d say that there are a lot of people here describing their spiritual experiences.

Which is exactly the issue brought up in the OP :innocent:

3 Likes

Is this in response to what I wrote? If so, Iā€™m confused lol

1 Like

The original post observed:

and this thread has had dozens of posts of people describing their various spiritual experiences: moments of crystal clarity, insights into falling / into sin, inexplicable transformations, things that show profound insight and heartfelt commitment. The kind of love and commitment that a greater power contributes to (whether itā€™s labelled ā€œthe school of lifeā€, ā€œthe universeā€, ā€œGodā€, the Buddhaā€™s teachings, etc etc) - one thing we all share is that weā€™re small parts of a much much larger picture. Itā€™s a humbling experience; what Iā€™m suggesting is that is itself a spiritual experience.

So what has happened here is an exploration of spiritual experiences in recovery, which (if I was reading right) is exactly the issue the original post was about :innocent:

1 Like

Lol, Well I didnā€™t expect so many responses, but thank you all for contributing. Sorry I havenā€™t been able to respond, Iā€™ve been busy with my toddlers. Iā€™m glad everyone is sober and I understand that everyone has their own conception of god that helps keep them sober and thatā€™s great. Like I said that the reality of hell is real for those who fail to accept the free gift of Christ offering Himself on the cross to die for your sinsā€¦ Thank you all for contributing.

2 Likes

Our pleasure. Thanks for sharing your perspective Joel!