Sugar boycott

For so many reasons! If I am ever in Maine though (is that right?!) I will definitely hit you up for some chocolate mint loveliness!

1 Like

When I decided to go keto back in March 2018 as a bit of a joke I made my target weight 66.6kg. It was right in the middle of my suggested BMI also. Well today I hit it!! Iā€™ve lost some where around 25kg total and dont want to lose any more. It was a lucky accident really as I havent been pushing for it. Infact, while ive been away ive been eating a fair amount of carbs and sugar as it impossible not to. The diet here is very much high carb. Im chuffed to bits to be where I am but I still have some pretty significant body/image issues to work through outside of diet.

Ive also decided to switch to a Targeted Ketogenic Diet so will be introducing small amounts of carbs (probably white rice and potatoes) to enable more strenuous excercise. 5-10g of simple carbs before the gym which I should burn through immediately. Iā€™ll continue to track my progress but will aim to weigh myself less as I have become a little obsessed with daily weigh ins and small flucuations. I also need to prepare for the number to start going up as I build muscle which will be psychologically challenging for me.

Hope you are all doing well with the sugar boycott, updates please :grin:

6 Likes

That is excellent!!! I love hearing from others what works for them and keeps them motivated, as well as the transitions out of losing and heading into maintainance more. Itā€™s nice to work together with others! :heart: Excellent job my friend, post away with anything you think will be helpful!

Iā€™ve done pretty well, last Friday I had a killer headache that progressed all day and nothing helped it so I thought to myself, wonder if itā€™s the sugar? Stopped, bought a small ice cream, took a few bites and threw the rest away-headache was gone. Its amazing how this stuff effects our bodies and def not for the better. I am down around 11 lbs so far!

4 Likes

Agreed on mood! Mine is much better without insulin spikes.

I have no problem getting in my protein, my issue is with too damn much fatā€¦stops me from burning my own.

Hard boiled eggs are a great protein source. And cheese.

Great job @MandiH!!

2 Likes

I stalled for ages, probably 6 months or so. I then did a really strict month in May which shifted the last few kilos. Full macro counting and for 2 weeks I ate the same exact meal 3 times a day (broccoli, pork belly, 1 egg, mayo). It was roughšŸ˜… Itā€™s taught me a lot about discipline and structure aswell, which is really helping me now with my sobriety.

2 Likes

I have always been fine with eating the same food day in and outā€¦unless I am travelingā€¦maybe I will figure out something like that.

I love pork belly!!!

2 Likes

What do you go by for standards? If I follow the traditional ones on my tracker, I am often low on protein and good on fats because I love avocados and have been eating them almost daily! I totally agree with the sugar, itā€™s bad stuff. I got a watermelon for my next sugar craving and I have a feeling tonight that will be cut open! Work did a trip to the ice cream store today and I said no thanks. But man they looked great! Lol

1 Like

Pork belly is a keto superfood :+1::joy:

1 Like

I just do the standard keto macros (70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carbs). All the carbs come from vegetables and some trace carbs in a few things. I wont track macros anymore as I know roughly what works and will stop limiting the vegetables I eat. More of a low carb approach but still no sugar or traditional carbs. Whats your approach at the moment? Seems to be workingšŸ‘

2 Likes

I havenā€™t modified a ton yet, mostly mindful eating. I eat way less when I really pay attention and I eat healthier items with less carbs because it feels better to me. I do drink some sugar still in my coffee, down to one half caff cup a day and tea. I intended to go full boar into a Candida cleanse diet then transition to paleo but this really gradual approach with mindfulness is working really well for me! In the past when Iā€™ve done major shifts at once, I never stick with it so Iā€™m trying something different this time and itā€™s working! :grin: As I plateau, thatā€™s when I suspect Iā€™ll shift things more.

No Red Bull and no soda! Loving that part of my sugar boycott. Best thing for me. Still the occasional candy bar :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Its a journey finding out what works for you and its great!! Everyone is different. I like the idea of Paleo. I need to read more about it and have that mindful eating book you posted on my amazon listšŸ‘

1 Like

You need it the amount your in the gym!

1 Like

Haha I do. Those protein cookies are garbage :face_vomiting:

Going sugar free was such a great decision for me. I backed off of any candy, sodas, cakes, cookies, sweets, etc about a month before going to keto. Even with that my body still had to detox! I couldnā€™t believe how dependent my body was on sugar even after Iā€™d backed off!! I felt like I had a mild flu for about a weekā€¦ mostly just lethargy and kind of achy and overall not feeling 100% but it wasnā€™t BAD. It helped drinking that Mio (water enhancer) with electrolytes.

I canā€™t believe the change in my body from that one simple change. I (half) joke that itā€™s given me psychic abilities, but itā€™s really brought on a very acute awareness of things- a sense of clarity and foresight. Cravings pass (sugar free jello is quite good actually) and then when you DO eat sugar you feel like crap (which is a good thing IMOā€¦) I feel amazing & bonus Iā€™m down 50 lbs.

Good luck!

4 Likes

@Rebekky Love this! Well done! The flu was horrible. It was the dehydration and low electrolytes that got me. I started adding a little salt to my water and stuck to a water goal and that helped alot. And your right about the clarity. Everything feel so much more controlled and steady. I didnā€™t realise we could go keto psychic tho, new goalšŸ˜…

2 Likes

@MandiH Thatā€™s one of the hardest to kick, my advice is to pack a lunch if you donā€™t already with fruit and nuts for snacks, practice willpower exercises (just google what those are) get used to having a water bottle on you at all times. Drinking lots of water will help you feel full. If you fail, just keep trying.

1 Like

You GO girl, I love it! You guys are my inspiration! @aircircle has been amazing to watch too, sheā€™s been kicking ass with it!

2 Likes

Thank you, Iā€™ve been doing all of that except I havent done much fruit or willpower exercises. Iā€™ll have to look that up so thanks for the info! All I drink basically is water and that is helpful. When I had a few bites of icecream the other night I was honestly impressed, Iā€™ve NEVER thrown away icecream before! And Iā€™ve turned it down twice today, yay me! Lol

1 Like

I second the fruit and nuts, especially blueberries. So so good. My tastes have changed so much. The thought of ice cream gives me a headache lately. Frozen bananas or my weird homemade smoothie pops!. Green smoothies have helped me loads.

3 Likes